This stat about Leidner pretty much sums it up!

began11

GOPHER11
Reaction score
@JoePerovich: Leidner through the air in the #Gophers final, three-game stretch (vs OSU, at NEB, at WIS):

20-of-54 (37% Cmp), 0 TD, 2 INT.

Yet we beat Nebraska, lost by a TD to a future playoff team and played Wiscy tough.

With no receivers. Leidner is a below average passer. That isn't going to change. We have terrible Wide Receivers, so neither are helping our passing game out.

Watching WR play in the SEC is crazy. I want a Gopher receiver to aid the QB and attack the ball. Auburn and Alabama just throwing it up there. Can't wait for the red shirts next year.

Hate to break it to you, but those SEC type receivers don't care to play in the Midwest. I'd love to have a few here, but they don't travel north very often.

I keep forcing to remind myself that, he's a soph, in a heavy run offense, throwing to a comm college transfer and two transformed QBs into WRs. Yes he had Maxx and Maxx is elite, but he's also double covered every time he's not blocking and some times even then. Wolitarsky was our only real WR and he didn't play last three games. Next year and the year after with Holland, Gentry and Krizniac.. we should be a lot better. The question will be, Rb..

It's plays like the pass right to a DB (realize interception wouldn't have counted) and the one he was called for intentional grounding, plus the fumbles, that frustrate me more with Mitch than the wild throws. Better protection and better receivers will make him more effective. However, sometimes he really does get careless or just panics. Not sure that will ever improve.

Yet we beat Nebraska, lost by a TD to a future playoff team and played Wiscy tough.

That only means with a better QB, we win more games. The weakest link is Leidner.

That only means with a better QB, we win more games. The weakest link is Leidner.
I'm not saying Leidner is great, but why don't our offensive line or receivers get partial game for the lack of a passing game? I was at the game today, can't remember a time when a receiver ran a route to gain separation.

I'm not saying Leidner is great, but why don't our offensive line or receivers get partial game for the lack of a passing game? I was at the game today, can't remember a time when a receiver ran a route to gain separation.

And I agree that we do need some receivers, but when I see plays like the one where a rb or wr was to his right, wide open, and about 5 yards away from him... and he threw it like 3 yards into the ground. And I'm not talking about the play where he was getting sacked. That just shows me that he gets too nervous.

I keep forcing to remind myself that, he's a soph, in a heavy run offense, throwing to a comm college transfer and two transformed QBs into WRs. Yes he had Maxx and Maxx is elite, but he's also double covered every time he's not blocking and some times even then. Wolitarsky was our only real WR and he didn't play last three games. Next year and the year after with Holland, Gentry and Krizniac.. we should be a lot better. The question will be, Rb..

If I am Maxx I am declaring for the draft 1min after the bowl game...stock is through the roof and why come back to a team with a hopeless QB who might be better off throwing left handed

@JoePerovich: Leidner through the air in the #Gophers final, three-game stretch (vs OSU, at NEB, at WIS):

20-of-54 (37% Cmp), 0 TD, 2 INT.

Leidner did some good running in those games, but you're right - we need a better passer and it could be Leidner if he improves as much as Ak did. A JC back-up would really help. Passing QBs featured in other games today make Mitch look pretty bad.

If I am Maxx I am declaring for the draft 1min after the bowl game...stock is through the roof and why come back to a team with a hopeless QB who might be better off throwing left handed

Gotta deal with funchess and he doesn't have enough does to play the hybrid te role yet. Needs another year to develop. Could do that in pros but would imo be better died to do it under less pressure at u. But I may be biased ;)

With ML you can't tell if he was 'throwing it away', or just missed by that much.

With ML you can't tell if he was 'throwing it away', or just missed by that much.

I remember one distinct play where I had that question. The throw was far enough over the receiver's head and out of bounds, that it looked like he had to have thrown it away. However, the receiver was not totally wide open, but had position on the defender and there was a very makeable pass to him to be made. So it was either a terrible decision or worse execution.

Leidner was a hero in the Nebraska game. We had a great year behind him. He has a torn meniscus and has been tough enough to play with it all year and he had turf toe. He's a great guy, a tough as nails player who works hard, says the right things and doesn't get in trouble off the field. I'd take him over Jameis Winston in a heartbeat. I love watching a bunch of kids who no one recruited beat some big time teams with big time recruits and come close other times. This team has heart, Leidner is its leader and it is time we salute him for what he does do and not where he falls short. This year he was told not to turn over the ball, and although he wasn't perfect at that, he certainly improved a lot since last year. That's all you can ask. Work hard and play smart so you improve. If he had a bad attitude I wouldn't support him, but all I see is a guy who tries his darndest and I am not going to pile on after a tough loss.

Leidner was a hero in the Nebraska game. We had a great year behind him. He has a torn meniscus and has been tough enough to play with it all year and he had turf toe. He's a great guy, a tough as nails player who works hard, says the right things and doesn't get in trouble off the field. I'd take him over Jameis Winston in a heartbeat. I love watching a bunch of kids who no one recruited beat some big time teams with big time recruits and come close other times. This team has heart, Leidner is its leader and it is time we salute him for what he does do and not where he falls short. This year he was told not to turn over the ball, and although he wasn't perfect at that, he certainly improved a lot since last year. That's all you can ask. Work hard and play smart so you improve. If he had a bad attitude I wouldn't support him, but all I see is a guy who tries his darndest and I am not going to pile on after a tough loss.

Everything you say about Leidner is true. He is what he is at the QB position and again Mason sums him up best when he calls him a 10 handicapper in golf. He will go out and play great sometimes, he will play terrible at others but most of the time he will just be ok.

Bottom line is that the issue is far less about Leidner himself and far more about the fact that he is the best option we have at QB. Again that isn't meant as a shot at Leidner, he seems like a good guy and does the best he can, I just don't believe he has the skill set to be a top flight QB in the BIG. Now the question will become is he still the best option heading into next season.

It isn't ever going to be easy for a run-oriented team to get top flight QBs and WRs. We are going to have to develop them and that takes time. But Kill had Jordon Lynch who was a Heisman finalist. We just need guys to stick around for 4-5 years so we are playing seniors and juniors and the back ups are seniors and juniors. In two years, hopefully that will be where we are at and it will bring some stability and more options to the position.

I didn't think he got much help in the way they ran the offense in the second half, Wisconsin was stacking the box pretty much daring Minnesota to pass, when it gets to be 3rd and long every time I'm not sure what kind of expectations you can have. They didn't open up the offense until midway through the fourth quarter, based on the way Wisconsin was defending I wish they would have opened up the offense and given Leidner the chance earlier, it looked like they were trying to stay close and hope for some breaks rather than trying to create things.

Can I try to summarize your thoughts...

We lose-Liedner's fault.
We win-Any QB would have won.

Seems silly when put like that, huh?

Leidner has a chance to improve next year...maybe that gets us to 9 or 10 wins.

Total QBR, which is ESPN's QB stat that takes rushing and passing into account, has Leidner ranked 48th in the country. Bryce Petty is 38, Connor Halliday is 44, Tommy Armstrong is 53, Matty Mauk is 72. Leidner is 5th in the Big Ten and Wisconsin's QB's aren't even ranked.

He's not that bad...

You can use ESPN if you want. I only use GH posters to form opinions. /s

We had posters performing hari-kari after Nelson quit. Statistically Nelson had a similar year throwing, warts and all. Similar QBR if I remember. He was a less effective runner and a little light in the heels compared to Mitch.

We live or die with Mitch. He had a bad game last night but he's had some really good games. When he gets a little more help at WR and a little more time to throw he could be above average as a dual threat QB.

Total QBR, which is ESPN's QB stat that takes rushing and passing into account, has Leidner ranked 48th in the country. Bryce Petty is 38, Connor Halliday is 44, Tommy Armstrong is 53, Matty Mauk is 72. Leidner is 5th in the Big Ten and Wisconsin's QB's aren't even ranked.

He's not that bad...

Wisconsin's QBs aren't ranked just because neither has enough attempts to qualify. Here's the Big Ten list if you include them and Leidner is 5 points behind Stave:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr/_/group/5/qualified/false

I'll tell you one thing I learned from that list: there are a lot of garbage QBs in the Big Ten

We had posters performing hari-kari after Nelson quit. Statistically Nelson had a similar year throwing, warts and all. Similar QBR if I remember. He was a less effective runner and a little light in the heels compared to Mitch.

We live or die with Mitch. He had a bad game last night but he's had some really good games. When he gets a little more help at WR and a little more time to throw he could be above average as a dual threat QB.

Agree with how Mitch is. Mase actually said it really well in that he's about a 10 handicap golfer. Some days when he'll come out and shoot scratch (Nebraska) and you'll win all the money and some days he's going to shoot bogey golf (Wisconsin) and you'll lose it all. Here's to hoping he just develops consistency. That to me is the maddening part. You see him hit a deep out (freuchte and maye a couple times) followed by sailing and skipping his next 3 passes. This offseasons progression from him and the other QBs if no one else is brought in will decide if we step forward and it's going to be fire from day one next season with TCU coming to town ranked likely in the top ten.

Wisconsin's QBs aren't ranked just because neither has enough attempts to qualify. Here's the Big Ten list if you include them and Leidner is 5 points behind Stave:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr/_/group/5/qualified/false

I'll tell you one thing I learned from that list: there are a lot of garbage QBs in the Big Ten

Def year of the RB in the B10. The QB play was pretty atrocious as a conference though some of that has to do with the teams around the QB (hack in PSU for example)

Top Bottom