Stave and Erickson

Indi1006

Banned
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm going to wake up in the morning and have to deal with the fact that our chance at breaking our 47 year streak of ineptitude was beaten down largely by two marginal B1G type players like Stave and Erickson. How does that happen? Our DL should be embarrassed that they couldn't get to Stave and our DBs should have nightmares about not being able to cover slow, white bread Erickson. I'm in shock that we held Gordon in check and let these two hit us with homeruns!!

He had 70 on a demolished coverage and another 30 on bunnies. Relax

How many of these threads are you going to start?
Relax

Take a picture of your kid's participation medals and ribbons and post them on here and we'll send you kudos. This is real stuff here our fellas (coaches and players) had a chance to win today and pissed it down their legs and anything other than bitter disappointment is stupid and a sign of us being 47 years worth of losers which we need to change.

Love your passion, but IF the Gophers were to win it would have been Leidner and Donovan Jones (or Isaac or whoever) who also could be called marginal B1G types. We had some guys, on both lines, who played pretty well for a large portion of the game. It hurts to lose, but if we were going to win the game we had to keep Gordon/running game in check and to a degree the Gophers did that. Unfortunately our CB's didn't have a great day.

I don't think you need to relax and I think people should be pissed off after a loss to Wisconsin and even more after a loss to Wisconsin with so much on the line. That said, the Badgers are more talented than the Gophers and we needed some coaches and players to perform above their heads to win and that didn't happen. It's not surprising that we couldn't consistently move the ball on offense, but it is disappointing.

There's a great, great chance for next year to be different. I just hope as much is on the line as was this time.

WTF does this game have to do with 47 years of anything?
Relax.

Love your passion, but IF the Gophers were to win it would have been Leidner and Donovan Jones (or Isaac or whoever) who also could be called marginal B1G types. We had some guys, on both lines, who played pretty well for a large portion of the game. It hurts to lose, but if we were going to win the game we had to keep Gordon/running game in check and to a degree the Gophers did that. Unfortunately our CB's didn't have a great day.

I don't think you need to relax and I think people should be pissed off after a loss to Wisconsin and even more after a loss to Wisconsin with so much on the line. That said, the Badgers are more talented than the Gophers and we needed some coaches and players to perform above their heads to win and that didn't happen. It's not surprising that we couldn't consistently move the ball on offense, but it is disappointing.

There's a great, great chance for next year to be different. I just hope as much is on the line as was this time.

I have a hard time seeing how Erickson was better than our DBs or Stave was good enough to carve us up like he did. It seems like an opportunity lost that doesn't come around very often and stunning that these two are the main ones that put the hammer down on us. Erickson??? Yikes.

I have a hard time seeing how Erickson was better than our DBs or Stave was good enough to carve us up like he did. It seems like an opportunity lost that doesn't come around very often and stunning that these two are the main ones that put the hammer down on us. Erickson??? Yikes.

You obviously don't get it.
The defensive staff put in a gameplan to stop Gordon. They didn't get torched by Stave and Erickson alone, they were determined not to get beat by Gordon like Nebraska did, they didn't think Stave could do it.

dont forget wheelright with his first catch...you can't make this **** up. and as to keeping gordon in check 2 tds and 159 yards, that's in check???

dont forget wheelright with his first catch...you can't make this **** up. and as to keeping gordon in check 2 tds and 159 yards, that's in check???

It is 40 yards below is average and 4 yards per carry below his average, so yes. Get a clue.

I can't believe I'm going to wake up in the morning and have to deal with the fact that our chance at breaking our 47 year streak of ineptitude was beaten down largely by two marginal B1G type players like Stave and Erickson. How does that happen? Our DL should be embarrassed that they couldn't get to Stave and our DBs should have nightmares about not being able to cover slow, white bread Erickson. I'm in shock that we held Gordon in check and let these two hit us with homeruns!!

I thinks it's funny how you (and Iowa writers) think you held Gordon in check.

1. 4.83 yards per carry, you really think that's holding someone in check?
2. Do you think having to bring up your secondary so tight had any thing to do with the pass game success. Another plus for Gordon.
3. Did you hold him on check for that receiving touch down?
4. In Wisconsin's two toughest games of the year (Iowa & Minnesota) Stave hasn't played marginal either, so hopefully that makes you feel a little better.

In summary, you didn't come close to holding Gordon in check. You team however overall have a pretty good game. Not you personally, as you appear to be a finger pointer. From a Wisconsin standpoint, after trailing by 14, thank God we didn't take your finger pointing tactic or else we might have lost.

Be proud of your team dude. You are a fun team to watch and on your way up.

2. Do you think having to bring up your secondary so tight had any thing to do with the pass game success. Another plus for Gordon.
3. Did you hold him on check for that receiving touch down?
4. In Wisconsin's two toughest games of the year (Iowa & Minnesota) Stave hasn't played marginal either, so hopefully that makes you feel a little better.

In summary, you didn't come close to holding Gordon in check. You team however overall have a pretty good game. Not you personally, as you appear to be a finger pointer. From a Wisconsin standpoint, after trailing by 14, thank God we didn't take your finger pointing tactic or else we might have lost.

Be proud of your team dude. You are a fun team to watch and on your way up.

I understand that Minnesota stacked the box, that was their game plan. When a back AVERAGES 9.5 yards per carry and he has 4.83 yards per carry in a game, it is a fair characterization to say he was held in check. That is a compliment to how good Melvin Gordon is.

Going in, I felt that holding Gorden to 4.83 yd/carry would get us a W. But Stave, his OL & WR's came through big time as our DB's didn't cover well and our DL barely touched him.

I was very disappointed how we played the second half but I certainly give credit to where its due.

Some posters don't know the difference between in check and shut down

Stave is far better than he is given credit for. He is often not asked to do much. When he has been asked, he has come through many times. At time he makes some bad throws that leave you shaking your head, but most quarterbacks do. 22-34 for 354 2 TD - O Int against Iowa and Minnesota are very good numbers.

A Heisman contender who had his second worst per carry average of the season? Absolutely it was holding him in check. If this was just a solid back who averages 80 yards a game, then you are right.

Not sure if you haven't noticed but every team you have faced has put 8 or 9 guys in the box yet Gordon did a lot better.

People saying we held him in check is a compliment to how good Gordon and your offensive line is. Our secondary has played a lot of cover 1 or cover 0 this year. What we saw yesterday from a play calling stand point wasn't anything new.

I'm still trying to figure out what Myrick was doing on that long pass play late in the first half. We were up 14, it was 3rd and long, and Myrick seemed to not even be trying. It was as if he didn't expect the ball to get thrown his way. That was the turning point in my opinion.

Myrick did not give up. He thought he had safety help over the top and handed the receiver off. Thompson and BBC were motioning and moving around prior to the snap. There was a clear breakdown in communication and coverage. When Thompson, and others, were confused about the coverage, he or the head coach should have attempted to call a timeout.

It was unfortunate, you could see the confusion right up to the snap.

Myrick did not give up. He thought he had safety help over the top and handed the receiver off. Thompson and BBC were motioning and moving around prior to the snap. There was a clear breakdown in communication and coverage. When Thompson, and others, were confused about the coverage, he or the head coach should have attempted to call a timeout.

You're probably right. I haven't watched the replay yet (not sure if I even will).

Yeah, that's what we saw too.

Top Bottom