Puzzling Question

bleedsmaroonandgold

Reaction score
Was a punt on fourth and 5, down by 10, with 4 minutes left, the decision most likely to win the game? If not, then what are we trying to do besides trying to win the game when playing for the axe and a divisional championship?

It was a horrible call. A call I was sure Jerry Kill would not make. Unreal.

Was a punt on fourth and 5, down by 10, with 4 minutes left, the decision most likely to win the game? If not, then what are we trying to do besides trying to win the game when playing for the axe and a divisional championship?

Still had 3 timeouts. If you dont get that, game is over. Hindsight is 20/20. The real question is where was the defense today?

Still had 3 timeouts. If you dont get that, game is over. Hindsight is 20/20. The real question is where was the defense today?

What game were you watching? The defense was on the field for nearly the whole damn 2nd Half..

To go for it on 4th and 5 you have to trust your QB. Mitch had a terrible game and I wouldn't have trusted him either.

I disagree, way the defense was playing you had to go for it in that situation because there was no way the D was going to hold them to 3 and out with the way things were going. The D did make a stop but by the time they did most of the remaining clock was gone.

Agreed, the chance to win the game was slim...but the only way the Gophers walk out of Madison with the Axe was to go for it on that 4th down. I feel like the game had slipped away before that, but the decision to go for it in that situation should have been pretty easy.

I think the punt was the right call if the defense wasn't gassed. We couldn't go 3 n out there again

I think was a pretty cowardly attempt by the coaching staff to say "I am willing to give up my last outside shot to win this game in exchange for hoping the fan base will give me an 'atta boy' for keeping it close".

totally agree this was a "I give up" call. Even after Wisc had the ball and punted we didn't even go for the block with half the team back in return coverage.

I think was a pretty cowardly attempt by the coaching staff to say "I am willing to give up my last outside shot to win this game in exchange for hoping the fan base will give me an 'atta boy' for keeping it close".

Spot on...knew he was going to punt it to which makes me even more mad. I don't get coaches who cares if you get beat by 10 or 17...at least go for it and have a chance to win the game. Are we sure Mitch is not a lefty? Righty...woof!

The only reason u make that call (to punt) is cause u don't want the other team to score again, period. That, and you have 0 confidence in your offense.

Got to say we've gone in the know it all attitude again after a loss. Hey I'm not happy either but we did better than what most of us said would happen. Why keep throwing Kill and team under the bus?

We punted in the exact same spot against Ohio St and they fumbled the punt. The Wisconsin kid also botched the punt catch but landed on the ball. You never know. We just couldn't stop fugly red after the first drive of the 2nd half.

denny green punted in az and won the game---unbelievably so, but he won it

Don't forget the runs on first and second down with the time ticking away. That was a "Leidner just isn't good enough, we give up." series.

Don't forget the runs on first and second down with the time ticking away. That was a "Leidner just isn't good enough, we give up." series.

+1,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Per Zulgad -

"You can blame Limegrover for his play calling all you want, but it was painfully obvious that he was trying his best to design a game plan that didn't call for his quarterback to do too much. This is no way for a coach to have to operate."

We are hamstrung, I think it is easy to tell early on if it's an on day or an off day for Mitch.....today was an off day

Top Bottom