Get, and win, a good bowl game.

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
**** Wisconsin, this result makes me sick, but **** it. Hope our team can give Jerry his first bowl win as a Gopher head coach. I sincerely hope the B1G doesn't **** us in the bowl selection.

I think we have more respect tis year than in years past and I do think we will get a pretty good bowl game. A victory over a ranked team in a bowl would be a nice balm to this wound.

A victory in any bowl game is need. It has been 10 years.

I could see Nebraska but not Iowa. If Nebraska jumps us and OSS does not make playoffs where does that put us?

The big question...will iowa or Nebraska jump over us?

Nebraska doesn't need to 'jump' us. They have a better record. OSU, MSU, Wiscy and Nebraska have better records. We should be 5th. We're the only 8-4 team. Iowa, Rutgers and Maryland are the 7-5 teams. If any of them jump us, I'll be sick.

The 5th Bowl tie-in is the Gator. If OSU makes the final 4 or we get two into the 'selection committee bowls' (very possible) we could move 'up' to the Holiday Bowl.

Nebraska doesn't need to 'jump' us. They have a better record. OSU, MSU, Wiscy and Nebraska have better records. We should be 5th. We're the only 8-4 team. Iowa, Rutgers and Maryland are the 7-5 teams. If any of them jump us, I'll be sick.

The 5th Bowl tie-in is the Gator. If OSU makes the final 4 or we get two into the 'selection committee bowls' (very possible) we could move 'up' to the Holiday Bowl.
But does the conference give preference to conference record? The only difference between Nebraska and Minn is they went 4-0 outside the conference. Both were 5-3 in the BIG, Gophers beat them head to head.

I'd love to go to the Holiday Bowl. Much better weather than Jacksonville. Go Buckeyes!

But does the conference give preference to conference record? The only difference between Nebraska and Minn is they went 4-0 outside the conference. Both were 5-3 in the BIG, Gophers beat them head to head.

Even if they do, we have the same conference record, they have a better overall record and they're Nebraska. We're not going ahead of them. Zero chance.

Even if they do, we have the same conference record, they have a better overall record and they're Nebraska. We're not going ahead of them. Zero chance.

I'd be surprised if they do. I still think Outback Bowl. Unlike when the bowls select the team the conferences don't have nearly as much incentive to favor one team over another in certain bowls for traveling fans, name brand, etc.

I'd be surprised if they do. I still think Outback Bowl. Unlike when the bowls select the team the conferences don't have nearly as much incentive to favor one team over another in certain bowls for traveling fans, name brand, etc.

I'd be surprised. One point in our favor is that we will likely still be a top 25 team. Though Nebraska may be as well.

If the badgers beat OSU next week are we headed to San Diego, Nashville, or worse? With OSU putting in a backup qb, I'm thinking the badgers win this one

If the badgers beat OSU next week are we headed to San Diego, Nashville, or worse? With OSU putting in a backup qb, I'm thinking the badgers win this one

The Music City Bowl would be a huge letdown after this season. If they want draw 150 fans from one of the schools, put the Gophers in the $%^ Music City Bowl for the 4th time.

at this point, a win in a bowl game would feel better than playing at an incrementally better bowl. the gophers haven't won a bowl in over a decade and kill has never won a bowl in his career.

We have no position to complain about what bowl we go to. It was all in our hands today and we didn't finish the deal.

whats the 4th best bowl?? I figure UW, OSU, MSU, then MN, with the loss of miss st, can osu or wi slide into the top 4...I doubt wisconsin, but osu can with a win

**** Wisconsin, this result makes me sick, but **** it. Hope our team can give Jerry his first bowl win as a Gopher head coach. I sincerely hope the B1G doesn't **** us in the bowl selection.

You must not be a life long Gopher fan. We always get screwed in the bowl selection, no matter what the BIG claims. San Antonio is beautiful this time of year.

Mississippi State's loss will be TCU's gain. But I think TCU needed Minnesota to win today to make the final 4.

It would be hard for the committee not to put OSU in over TCU if they beat Wisconsin. Wisconsin should move up to the 10-12. #5 vs. #11 will be the biggest CCG of the year.

The Big 12 just needs to add a couple of teams so they can have a CCG.

The conference now choses which teams go where, right?

Bowls passing over B1G schools To land a teams that "travels well" is certainly one of the reasons the Big Ten struggled in "the post-season".

I think the league would rather have Minnesot facing a top20 opponent this year over NE or IA.

The conference now choses which teams go where, right?

Bowls passing over B1G schools To land a teams that "travels well" is certainly one of the reasons the Big Ten struggled in "the post-season".

I think the league would rather have Minnesot facing a top20 opponent this year over NE or IA.

Yes, for most part. Gone are days of bowls just picking who they want. The affiliated bowls submit their top 3 choices.. but the B1G makes the final decision among those choices.. of course, they work with the schools and bowls. The B1G and schools will first try to avoid playing in the same location two years in a row or at least same state multiple years in a row. The Minnesota assistant AD said for this reason, their is little to no chance the Gophers play in Texas this year.. so bank on Florida or California.

Yes, for most part. Gone are days of bowls just picking who they want. The affiliated bowls submit their top 3 choices.. but the B1G makes the final decision among those choices.. of course, they work with the schools and bowls. The B1G and schools will first try to avoid playing in the same location two years in a row or at least same state multiple years in a row. The Minnesota assistant AD said for this reason, their is little to no chance the Gophers play in Texas this year.. so bank on Florida or California.

So much to figure out still. Georgia losing today hurt. Wisconsin winning next week would hurt. Miss St losing helped. Alabama loss would help. Plus, with the new selection system, it's nearly impossible to predict this stuff. Wild ride ahead.

So much to figure out still. Georgia losing today hurt. Wisconsin winning next week would hurt. Miss St losing helped. Alabama loss would help. Plus, with the new selection system, it's nearly impossible to predict this stuff. Wild ride ahead.

The Georgia loss is cancelled out by the Miss St loss.

I think at worst the tOSU vs Sconnie winner heads to an invite bowl with MSU, the loser teams with the Gophers and Huskers to split up the Citrus, Outback and Holiday. Tier one teams in the tier one bowls. It's been spelled out pretty clearly I think. I'm not a rocket scientist.

I like your confidence. I wish I had yours but We've been screwed so much that I just think Nebraska gets the Outback over us.

I completely understand.
But, I think we all need to remember that B1G fans were told by league it is going to be different.

We are in Tier I (for sure),
Bowls submit their TOP 3 teams,
Universities submit their TOP 3 preferences, and
B1G assigns based on a number of factors.
Key point..........B1G assigns after weighing preferences.
I don't see HOW on God's Green Earth the League doesn't take into consideration our overall improvement vs Nebraska's slide and our January Bowl drought. We ARE Top 4 in B1G and that is clear as ever IMO. Not even close. That Rutgers win was HUGE!

The "worst" possible bowl for the U is Music City/Gator. It's either Holiday or Outback unless they get royally effed. And those are both the best bowls for this program in a decade. Now go to Tampa or San Diego and win it!

The "worst" possible bowl for the U is Music City/Gator. It's either Holiday or Outback unless they get royally effed. And those are both the best bowls for this program in a decade. Now go to Tampa or San Diego and win it!

You are correct. I seriously hope we fight hard for the Outback. Sorry to say (and I could be completely wrong here) but I think January 1 Bowl does way more for the psyche of fans, supporters, and recruits.

Top Bottom