Nice NY Times profile: At Minnesota, a Staff Devoted to the Long Run

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the NY Times:

“I think everybody used to be loyal to a head coach,” Limegrover said. “Then somewhere along the line, assistant coaches became free agents. All of a sudden guys said, If somebody is going to pay me a little bit more, I’ll go there for a couple of years, then somebody else will hire me. I don’t know when exactly it was, but that idea of loyalty kind of went out the window.

“In that regard, Coach is a throwback to that. He instills loyalty in us, and we feel that loyalty back to him.”

The loyalty runs both ways. When Minnesota restructured Kill’s contract last year, raising his salary to $2.1 million from $1.2 million, Kill insisted his coaches be paid on par with the top six staffs in the Big Ten. For Claeys and Limegrover, that meant $250,000 raises to about $600,000.

“I tell people all the time: There may be people in this business who are as good to work for, but I don’t want to find out,” Limegrover said. “You hear the horror stories. You don’t want to go out there and see for yourself because he’s such a good guy to work for. He gets it. He was a longtime assistant before he became a head coach, and he looks at us through that lens.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/28/s...y-behind-a-staff-that-shuns-change-.html?_r=0

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom