Gophers sweep NDSU, Iowa State next tomorrow night

heymyfav

Reaction score
(6) Minnesota swept North Dakota State 3-0 in the first round of the NCAA Volleyball Tournament. NDSU finishes 24-4, their first lost since September 13.

Iowa State beat Northern Iowa 3-1 in the other game.

Gophers vs. Iowa State Saturday night 7:00 pm in the 2nd Round. Free audio and video available on www.gophersports.com

As expected, Gophers make short work of upstart Bison. Hard to gauge how we played considering the difference in talent between us and NDSU.

Should be an interesting match tomorrow against Iowa State. Hopefully, we can get out of the regional and get Dieter back into the mix for the final 16.

Gophers started off slow but the second two games we're not close and we we're really putting it together in the third game.

From the Strib article it sounds like Dieter might try to play tonight, she wasn't in uniform last night and still has the boot on.

Even without her we shouldn't have alot of trouble with Iowa State.

Even without her we shouldn't have alot of trouble with Iowa State.

HOpe you're right, but ISU is a much improved team over the course of the year, and they have good quickness. We should be favored, but without Dieter we could well have a barnburner.

Looks like you we're right Jim, the Gophers get absolutely dominated in the first game 25-14. Very disappointing set for the Gophers as they we're never in it and it looked like a varsity vs. JV. Hopefully this will not be another early round meltdown for the Gophers. No Dieter. We just don't look like we we're ready as we have had alot of bad errors, poor service reception and bad passing. This match you can really see where we miss Dieter as we have no one can put it down. And to give Iowa State credit as they are playing really well and seem to smell blood right now in set 2.

Iowa State takes set 2 but hopefully the gophers late charge can give them a boost in the remaining sets. Gophers we're down 23-19 but scored 4 straight to take a 24-23 lead but lose 26-24. This is the first time you could say not having Dieter played a major role. Roerhig and Vatterrodt are nice players but can't get the big kill when they need it like Dieter can and it showed late in that set. They are putting alot of there defense toward stopping Gibbenmeyer and it's working. Very frustarting.

Season Over

Wow, Minnesota rallies late again to take Set 3 27-25, but get behind in set 4 6-0 and could never recover and lose 3-1. Obviously not having Dieter was a large factor but I'm not sure if it would of changed the outcome the way Iowa State played tonight. Not alot was expected of this team this year so it's hard to say it was too big of a disappointment losing in Round 2 but we ended up being the #6 overall seed and second in the Big Ten and hosting so in those terms I think getting to the Regionals was a reasonable goal. I think it's safe to say to call the Roerig, Vatterrodt, hartman, and Schmidt class that was very highly ranked a letdown. They all had solid careers but none ever reached the level that was expected and even though they reached the Tournament all four years and did make it to the regional final in 06 we're they took #1 Nebraska to 5, that team was lead by Bowman, Gentil, and Nelson. Coming off the back to back Final Fours, we have gone out in the first or second round three of the past four years. In 05 we lost to Tennessee in the 2nd, last year we got upset by Sacramento State in the First Round, and now this year.

the good news is that Gibbenmeyer and Dieter still have two years left, Blatt will take over for Hartman at setter:D, and the additions of the 6-5 Love and super athletic Harms at OH will really give the Gophers something they have been lacking in recent years.

I hope the new girls do well next year. And I wish the seniors luck in whatever paths they pursue.

Wow, Minnesota rallies late again to take Set 3 27-25, but get behind in set 4 6-0 and could never recover and lose 3-1. Obviously not having Dieter was a large factor but I'm not sure if it would of changed the outcome the way Iowa State played tonight. Not alot was expected of this team this year so it's hard to say it was too big of a disappointment losing in Round 2 but we ended up being the #6 overall seed and second in the Big Ten and hosting so in those terms I think getting to the Regionals was a reasonable goal. I think it's safe to say to call the Roerig, Vatterrodt, hartman, and Schmidt class that was very highly ranked a letdown. They all had solid careers but none ever reached the level that was expected and even though they reached the Tournament all four years and did make it to the regional final in 06 we're they took #1 Nebraska to 5, that team was lead by Bowman, Gentil, and Nelson. Coming off the back to back Final Fours, we have gone out in the first or second round three of the past four years. In 05 we lost to Tennessee in the 2nd, last year we got upset by Sacramento State in the First Round, and now this year.

the good news is that Gibbenmeyer and Dieter still have two years left, Blatt will take over for Hartman at setter:D, and the additions of the 6-5 Love and super athletic Harms at OH will really give the Gophers something they have been lacking in recent years.

Not just Love and Harms--Tabberson may be able to make an immediate impact next year too. As a tall lefty setter, she gives us an opportunity to play some offenses we haven't been able to use since Bowman left. And don't forget Cowles--she did a great job stepping up when Brook went down.

And the following year, we'll lose Tan, but we'll add Dixon and Wittman, who could easily be the best two recruits in the country at their positions, and might possibly be the best two recruits at any position. And this year's sophs will be seniors.

As for ths year, yeah, that class didn't really live up to expectations, but as far as I can tell, they're four nice kids who gave it everything they had and kept us ranked around #10 most of their careers. They represented the University and State with class and dignity, and that makes them all champions in my book.

Top Bottom