WI State Journal: Former UW athletic administrator Joel Maturi helps turn around MN

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Wisconsin State Journal:

“If you ask me who I’m rooting for Saturday, it’s obviously the Gophers and there’s no question about it,” Maturi said this week. “For lots of reasons, but especially because of my relationship with Jerry Kill.”

Kill was hired to coach the Gophers in 2011 and, true to his resume, has steadily transformed them into a force. Their overall record went from 3-9 to 6-7 to 8-5 to now 8-3.

“Obviously I feel good about it,” Maturi said.

Minnesotans have harped on the fact Kill wasn’t Maturi’s first choice to oversee the most important athletic program on campus. After cutting ties with Glen Mason, Maturi tabbed Tim Brewster, who debuted with an overall mark of 1-10 in 2007, peaked the following season at 7-6 and then fell so fast he was fired after seven games in 2010.

“I hired two football coaches,” Maturi said. “One that unfortunately was not successful and the program actually took a step backwards and one that seemingly has put us in a place we haven’t been to in almost 50 years.”

http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...cle_9ce7c557-57a6-5210-a44d-e3a274917a22.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom