News, Notes, Tid-Bits & Quotes: Cobb 'Very Questionabl,' Leidne Gaining Confidence

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
News, Notes, Tid-Bits & Quotes: Cobb 'Very Questionabl,' Leidne Gaining Confidence

News, Notes, Tid-Bits and Quotes: Cobb 'Very Questionable' For Wisconsin Game, Leidner Gaining Confidence
By Grant Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/451282?referrer_id=388419

On Tuesday, the Gopher coaches spoke with the media about the win over Nebraska and the state of the Golden Gopher football program. Heading into the last week of the season, the Gophers are exactly where they want to be; win and go to the Big Ten Championship Game.

“Well, I think our football team, coaches, our school, our fans are excited about the situation we're in,” said Jerry Kill. “The kids have worked hard to get where we're at and get in a win in Lincoln, which is a difficult place to get a win, put ourself in a situation where we said we want to be at the beginning of the year.”

Cobb Questionable

After playing just one half against Nebraska, David Cobb’s status is still uncertain for the big game against Wisconsin.

“He'll be questionable, very questionable,” said Kill. “However, that guy ‑‑ I told Ed and Doc Smith after the game, I told him I don't care what you do, day, night, 24‑7, work about paying you later, whatever the cost, see what you can do.”

As a senior and leader on offense, Cobb is doing everything in his power to be prepared to play on Saturday.

“And so he's been working hard, David has been,” said Kill. “When he's not in class, he's been down there. And you know he'll do everything he can to be ready. But that's a difficult injury to deal with.”

The coaches were hoping to let Cobb be active on Tuesday in an attempt to move along his rehab.

“But they're going to try to jog him around a little bit today and see where he's at, but he's real questionable,” said Kill.

Finding Success

At 8-3 on the year and still in contention for a Big Ten Championship, the Gophers have already shown a level of success that Kill anticipated would take longer than it has.

“Well, I think the big thing it means to all of us in the program, and it's just a stepping‑stone to where we want to get,” said Kill of his team’s success. “We came in four years ago, I said it would take seven years to be truly get where we wanted to be. People would have to be patient. We're fortunate, things are moving along, a little bit faster than we thought. That's a lot to do with the kids. And you win with players.”

Minnesota’s success has a number of benefits that the Gophers haven’t experienced in many years.

“But certainly the situation we put ourself in this year certainly helps the recruiting part of it, no question about that,” said Kill. “And then the other part it helps our school. It helps our state. All the publicity and everything that Minnesota is getting right now, you can't put a price on that. And it doesn't cost anything.”

Opportunistic Secondary

The Gopher defensive backs, especially Briean Boddy-Calhoun, have made timely plays all season to keep the opposition out of the endzone. The best example came against the Huskers when Boddy-Calhoun forced and recovered a fumble at the goal line to prevent the go-ahead touchdown by Nebraska.

“I can't explain it,” said Tracy Claeys of Boddy-Calhoun’s ability to make plays. “He's been in position to make it some plays. He's made some plays. Sometimes they go your way and sometimes they don't. Hopefully they go that way another week or two.”

With some teams avoiding throwing at Eric Murray, Boddy-Calhoun has gotten the opportunity to show what he is capable of.

“We've got quite a few kids that do really well on the instincts,” said Claeys. “Just so happens, I don't know if they don't want to throw at Eric Murray, right now they're throwing at Briean and he's making the plays that he needs to make or vice versa.”

No matter which defensive back is targeted, the Gophers are ready to make a game-changing play.

“That's why I tell kids all the time, you go by tackles and interceptions all go by who they're going to throw the ball to,” said Claeys. “I don't know who they're going to throw it to. But when they throw it that way, you're in the position to make the play you need to make, no different than tackles.”

Resilient QB

Although he looked inaccurate at times during Minnesota’s game in Lincoln, Mitch Leidner was able stay composed, hitting K.J. Maye for 38 yards on the game-winning drive. Leidner’s poise and ability to battle through adversity are attributes that have impressed the Minnesota coaches.

“The kid is unflappable,” said Matt Limegrover. “He keeps moving forward. He doesn't let a whole lot bother him. Which is probably more than you can say for a lot of us. He's got a great outlook on things. He understands where he is. And at times when he does press, I think he's starting to learn how to pull back a little bit and say, okay, got to take the foot off the gas a little bit here. And I think that's been all part of that process, part of those ups and downs. Hopefully as time goes on you level those things out at a high level.”

Just a redshirt sophomore, many game situations are new to Leidner. The coaches understand that the Lakeville native will just continue to improve as he gains experience.

“He's a young kid still,” said Limegrover. “So a lot of things that are happening to him are still relatively new. He's getting an education early, so my thought is that benefits him in the long run. And you want him to be even further along when we hit next August and our first opponent next year as we go along.”

good quote - “The kid is unflappable,” said Matt Limegrover. “He keeps moving forward. He doesn't let a whole lot bother him. Which is probably more than you can say for a lot of us. He's got a great outlook on things. He understands where he is. And at times when he does press, I think he's starting to learn how to pull back a little bit and say, okay, got to take the foot off the gas a little bit here. And I think that's been all part of that process, part of those ups and downs. Hopefully as time goes on you level those things out at a high level.”

Top Bottom