Driving or flying to Indianapolis?

Reaction score
511 miles from Minnie. You have to loop Chicago, but all in all, not a bad drive with the weather being the only factor. My guess is Creative Charters will have a package. Depending on the game time it might be a one day trip. Have not looked at flights yet.

If I did go, I would drive. Flying to Indy is only a slightly smaller waste of money as flying to Chicago.

511 miles from Minnie. You have to loop Chicago, but all in all, not a bad drive with the weather being the only factor. My guess is Creative Charters will have a package. Depending on the game time it might be a one day trip. Have not looked at flights yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by loop Chicago specifically. But you don't have to go into Chicagoland to get there necessarily. When you get to Madison, follow I-39 down to Bloomington, IL then hop on I-74 East to get to Indy. There is a $1.95 toll going thru Rockford, but it would be a saner drive and the distance wouldn't be dramatically longer. It would be worth it IMO.

Hoping for a CC coach bus.

I'm not sure what you mean by loop Chicago specifically. But you don't have to go into Chicagoland to get there necessarily. When you get to Madison, follow I-39 down to Bloomington, IL then hop on I-74 East to get to Indy. There is a $1.95 toll going thru Rockford, but it would be a saner drive and the distance wouldn't be dramatically longer. It would be worth it IMO.

We went via Champaign one year on the way to Big Ten basketball tourney. A little longer trip is worth it to avoid the Chicago area. Can really get screwed having to sit in traffic/road construction if you mess with Chicago.

I'd be driving also from Pittsburgh! 5-6 hours!

Flying to Chicago and then driving to Indy. Indy flights are around 450 last I checked. You can get to Chicago under $150 and rent a car.

Going around it by the route you mentioned Thus, the loop comment. A little longer, but better

I have to do this drive every year. It is 100% the correct way to get to Indianapolis if you aren't stopping in Chicago.

If we can find a way to win then:

I like driving through Chicago and even staying there possibly on Th. night if we win. I can get up and roll out of Chicago at a time when the traffic is slow. The key to Chicago is when you arrive. The drive from Rockford to Champaign and on to Indy would be the most boring drive in the world. I do not now really ever want to drive through central Illinois again.

I might even take Lakeshore Drive to Southshore drive to the Indiana border and rejoin I90/or 94 somewhere around Hammond or Gary. This is a nice drive as well, plus I can stop in to see Reverend Wright or Father Pflaeger preach.

For me it will be I 94 to Milwaukee and South down the 94 Dan Ryan and on to I65 south through W Layfayette and on to Indianapolis. The Milwaukee route adds about 15 miles but there are only two toll stops in the 25 miles from the Wisconsin Border to where the Tollway ends and regular I94 starts North of Evanston. The I90 tollway is longer and more congested. I41 from the the Wisconsin border to the northern suburbs where the tollway ends and rejoining 94 is not bad either for 25 miles, if you want to see some of scenery and avoid $5 in tolls (unlikely)

Unless you live in Caledonia, it's closer to 600 miles. If you want to cut the drive almost in half, go straight there from Madison.

If i go to the game...i will drive about 10 minutes NW of my house...park at job and walk the 5 or 6 blocks to the game...

looking forward to the drive leaving Friday morning 12/04/14

Assuming and hoping we win, will be leaving Friday morning for the drive returning Saturday night because my brother has Vikings tickets to the Jets game. Will be a lot of driving in a short time but will be worth it.

Would stay in Dinkytown. This game would be the hockey frozen four x10.

In 2008, we went to the Indianapolis 500. Headed South to Iowa City, hung a left, and cut across
Illinois. 9 hour drive. I think it was I-74. Indianapolis is 5 1/2 hours from Iowa City.
Easier drive for us. Our neighbor has driven to Colts games on 3 occasions and that is the way he takes as well. (Reference: we live near Rochester).

With the current gas prices, a road trip down to Indy would cost about $60. $120 roundtrip. Not bad at all!

I like hanging around in Chicago, in any season. Anywhere within a few blocks of the lake, from North Sheridan to the southside can have some charm.

Having said that, if it takes taking a cornfield only route, getting to Indianapolis within 9 hours, and for under $120 in gas is very possible, with cheap hotels to be had between the Illinois border and and the currently overpriced downtown core of Indianapolis, the Gopher fans from everywhere need to get there.

If the Gophers win on Saturday, Gopher fan attendance needs to be in the 15k to 25K range, since this would be the biggest Gopher road game in football since the 1962 RoseBowl or in Basketball 1997 Final Four. Allegedly (based upon what I say on TV and reported) there were insane numbers of Gopher fans in the Alamodome for the San Antonio regional in 1997, so this event needs to trigger the same response, if it happens.

P.S. The 1997 Gopher Final Four needs to be fully accepted, and this PC nonsense by some self hating Gophers needs to stop. If the NCAA decides to put the hammer down on North Carolina for cheating for 18 years, in a much methodical, worse way, , then we can all re-assess.
Minnesota won 30 plus games and was in the Final Four in the 1996-1997 season. All the broadcasters need to stop citing the false statistics that ignore what the team did in that season.

When North Carolina gets the same treatment I will....... Will never happen

Top Bottom