Nice article: Gophers assistant Kimani Young's journey brings him back to St. John's

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Two years ago, Roberts received a call from Pitino, who wanted to hire Young as an assistant coach at Florida International.

"He's a great person, a great father and a man of good character," Pitino said. "My biggest thing when hiring coaches is I want to hire people first who have got a strong desire to work, but also great people. Kimani is that. He's got unbelievable ties, not just to New York and New Jersey, but throughout the country. He relates so well to the players. I think he's one of the most underrated (assistant) coaches and recruiters in the game. He continues to get better, and he's been a valuable asset to my program and my staff. Certainly, he's got great knowledge of St. John's, not just from working there but being a New Yorker and a St. John's fan."

In three seasons with Pitino, Young has recruited the New York area heavily. He helped the Gophers get class of 2015 commitments from two New Yorkers: DuPree McBrayer, a 6-foot-4 guard at Sunrise Christian Academy (Kan.), and Jonathan Nwankwo, a 6-10, 250-pound center at Victory Rock Prep (Fla.).

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27011657/gophers-assistant-kimani-youngs-journey-brings-him-back

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom