Kill/Limegrover/Clayes presser: David Cobb is determined to play but questionable

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here are my rough notes from the presser, will post transcripts later:

2 great SidBits:
Sid: I need to talk to you 5 minutes in your office.
Gopher's SID: Not today, Sid, not today.
Sid proceeded to follow him out and interview kill.

Another great Sid comment: I've been here for 143 years and I've never seen a coach make some changes at halftime, outside the TCU and maybe IL game, you come back and stop the opposition in the 2nd half.

Jerry Kill:
• I think our football team, coaches, school, fans are excited about the situation we're in. Kids have worked hard. This is the place we said we wanted to be from the beginning of the year. We made some mistakes along the way, but it's never been effort. We've got to get our kids in the cold tubs and get those legs good. WI is the #1 team in the country on defense, then you've got the guy that's on another planet.
• A big thing, it means to all of us, is this is a stepping stone to where we want to get. I said it would take 7 years to get where we truly want to be, things are moving along faster, and that has to do with the kids. We built them in the weight room. This helps our school, it helps our state, and you can't put a price on that and it doesn't cost anything.
• David Cobb with be questionable, very questionable. I don't care what you do, you spend day, night, whatever it costs, you see what you can do. He's been working very hard. That's a difficult injury to deal with. David has worked very hard, when he got hurt he's all wrapped up on the field. He's going to tell everyone he's going to play. If you're negative, sometimes you don't heal up as quick. I'd rather have him feeling that way than not. He told me on the flight home "Coach, I ain't missing this one."
• You always worry about the freshman this time of year. Steven Richardson playing down in the trenches, and school, that's tough - it's a grind. The older kid are. We need to get their legs, we've got to get their shoulders, and we've got to get their minds.
• I feel like we got a lot better this week, that's part of coaching. It's unbelievable what our kids have done, without the resources we need.
• Sid: I've been here for 143 years and I've never seen a coach make some changes at halftime, outside the TCU and maybe IL game, you come back and stop the opposition in the 2nd half.
• On 2nd half adjustments - If I have to get after them I will, but it's rarely a lack of motivation and playing hard. They've played very hard.
• They're quick, athletic and very very well coached. Talk about an offensive staff room, they're coached up.
• Mitch Leidner and Cedric Thompson kept the team accountable in the off-season. They did team building. Donnell Kirkwood has a great attitude, not getting as much PT, but respected David Cobb, and when he came in, he did his job. They sold into the team. We've always stressed that.
• It started last year, once we beat Penn State, Nebraska, the helmet schools. The Michigan game was a significant win on the road in the Big House. Going to Lincoln and winning in that environment.
• I don't know how many emails and texts I get, I try to live in a bubble, and I think those people understand, they're just trying to let me know. If you remember, I said for us to have the opportunity to win a championship, we'd have to beat the border schools, and we beat one, then won in Lincoln.
• With Donnell, he's focused, he wants to be a coach, and Roderick is unique, if you watch him on kickoff he runs over everybody, he's always in rhythm. Donnell - you just don't ever underestimate those kids.
• Berkeley Edwards being able to play is a question mark too. (Concussion)
• We haven't won it in 10 years. This is a rivalry, sooner or later you have to win one. If there's anything that has to do with the safety of the players, I agree with it. You don't want to lose someone for a week or so. I don't know how that policy came in effect, I don't know completely why, I respect Coach Alvarez and he's the one, the AD.
• On the blocked FG, it was a great play, that young man arm's went down to about her (pointing to his ankle), and he got it. We need to work with our kicker and guys on the angle of pursuit. We need to get Ryan all the way to the boundary to turn that back in. Great play, but we need to tackle it.

Tracy Claeys:
• On Gordon - He's a good back, you've got to tackle him well. How well you tackle, determines how well you play.
• This is one of the better offensive lines we've faced, upfront, we'll have to do a good job. It's everyone being in the gap that they're supposed to be. They've run more formations and shifts, than we have room on our whiteboard. They're really good up front and tight ends block well.
• At Minnesota - this is the best D we've had here. They take to the coaching well and adjust, they ask great questions. That means they know where the problems are and they understand it more.
• Wisconsin is Wisconsin. You've got to stop the running backs, it doesn't matter what the quarterbacks do.

Matt Limegrover:
• You assume there would be a drop off, and there hasn't been. Early in the season, we weren't taking a close look at them, and there were some growing pains, they were hit with a lot of injuries. They're feeling it and they've come together well.
• On Mitch - The kid is unflappable, he keeps moving forward, he doesn't let a whole lot bother him, he understands where his is, he's starting to learn how to pull back. He wants to go from point A to point Z, but there are some stops you need to take along the way in your development. It will come, in time, but it's not going to happen yesterday.
• Donnell story is well documented, he was our starter, got hurt and David jumped in. The fact that Donnell stayed with it, he's such a positive force in special teams. We talked as a whole group, in the sporting news, a young man from Pitt that made the Cardinals as a special teams player. So we challenged our guys to do that. Kirkwood is a lot like Maye, when he has the good attitude and mindset, it's infections through the whole team.
• You never have a good day as an offensive line coach. Never do all 5 of those guys do everything right on a given day.
• I don't know if it was our best 30 minutes of football, but it was inspired. That momentum kept building. There's always a ton of work to do, but you can't fault the guy's heart and drive.
• The biggest things with Iowa is they started to get them off balance. They threw when you thought they'd run. There was a balance thing. Doing some things that were a little un-Iowa-like.

Thanks Nadine! Love the notes and #Sidbits. It's good to see Cobb's motivation to play and too bad about Berkley. After that hit he looked like VodkaSam walking towards the sideline.

"• Berkeley Edwards being able to play is a question mark too. (Concussion)"

Finally some word on Edwards.

Please start referring to halftime as "TracyTime".

That is is all.

2 great SidBits:
Sid: I need to talk to you 5 minutes in your office.
Gopher's SID: Not today, Sid, not today.
Sid proceeded to follow him out and interview kill.

;)

We're gonna miss Sid some day.

He'll get an obit in the New York Times. I'm 110% sure it was written in 1986.

Kill/Limegrover/Clayes presser: David Cobb is determined to play but question...

We're gonna miss Sid some day.

He'll get an obit in the New York Times. I'm 110% sure it was written in 1986.

Does he still drive? I just realized he's 94. I wonder if he makes it to 100.

Did Kill mention any of the Wisconsin and Minnesota guys in his presser?

I have to think that this game is about as big as it get's for Seniors from Minnesota or Wisconsin on the Gophers.
Cameron Botticelli, Tommy Olson, Issac Fruechte, Zac Epping, Conner Cosgrove, Dave Ramlett to them you know this game is about as big a deal as it get's this week for guy's potentially playing there last football game. Probably a pretty big deal for honorary Minnesotans
David Cobb, Donnel Kirkwood, Michael Amafuela,Derrick Wells, Logan Hutton, Cederic Thompson, Harold Legania, Damien Wilson, Ben Perry and any other seniors I may have forgotten. This group has the first chance in the last 10 to finally rush to the other side and grab the Axe, and they get to do it in Camp Randall stadium, that has to mean a lot. However hard you have to push each other this week, and develop that edge, of I will not be broken, I will not quit until the clock strikes 60 minutes, I feel no pain, I fear no pain, it will all be worth it.
All of the workouts, all of the early rises out of bed, the crappy meals, the cold tubs and black and blue, the first season when there wasn't much success and a whole lot of yelling and people telling you that you were no good, take it all in this week and cherish it guys. You guy's the one's that stayed and saw this thing through will be remembered. Axe, Pig, Jug, Bell the broken chair against Nebraska you guy's have made a mark and will get to hang a banner in TCF stadium for the first time since 1967, and for that I want to say thank you Gophers.

Play for each other this week, play for yourselves, play hard, and just flat out out work the other side. Everyone needs to meet at the Football this week, offense, defense, special teams, meet at the ball, hold nothing back and have no regrets. All in for 60 minutes and then meet at the Axe it is that simple. Be the relentless group that I know you have become.
Go Gophers, and SKI-U-Mah always.

I have to think that this game is about as big as it get's for Seniors from Minnesota or Wisconsin on the Gophers.
Cameron Botticelli, Tommy Olson, Issac Fruechte, Zac Epping, Conner Cosgrove, Dave Ramlett to them you know this game is about as big a deal as it get's this week for guy's potentially playing there last football game. Probably a pretty big deal for honorary Minnesotans
David Cobb, Donnel Kirkwood, Michael Amafuela,Derrick Wells, Logan Hutton, Cederic Thompson, Harold Legania, Damien Wilson, Ben Perry and any other seniors I may have forgotten. This group has the first chance in the last 10 to finally rush to the other side and grab the Axe, and they get to do it in Camp Randall stadium, that has to mean a lot. However hard you have to push each other this week, and develop that edge, of I will not be broken, I will not quit until the clock strikes 60 minutes, I feel no pain, I fear no pain, it will all be worth it.
All of the workouts, all of the early rises out of bed, the crappy meals, the cold tubs and black and blue, the first season when there wasn't much success and a whole lot of yelling and people telling you that you were no good, take it all in this week and cherish it guys. You guy's the one's that stayed and saw this thing through will be remembered. Axe, Pig, Jug, Bell the broken chair against Nebraska you guy's have made a mark and will get to hang a banner in TCF stadium for the first time since 1967, and for that I want to say thank you Gophers.

Play for each other this week, play for yourselves, play hard, and just flat out out work the other side. Everyone needs to meet at the Football this week, offense, defense, special teams, meet at the ball, hold nothing back and have no regrets. All in for 60 minutes and then meet at the Axe it is that simple. Be the relentless group that I know you have become.

Where's my helmet?! Oh, who cares. I don't really need one, I guess. Nice post.

Thanks Nadine! Love the notes and #Sidbits. It's good to see Cobb's motivation to play and too bad about Berkley. After that hit he looked like VodkaSam walking towards the sideline.

You're welcome, he's too funny. I have very little doubt Cobb will play. I know it's genuine, but nothing wrong with making Wisconsin prepare for a Cobb and Cobb-less team ;).

Please start referring to halftime as "TracyTime".

That could be a hashtag that catches on.

That is is all.

Does he still drive? I just realized he's 94. I wonder if he makes it to 100.

He does not. He has this amazing assistant that has a great sense of humor, Milt. I call him Saint Milt. He told me today he started driving Sid around about 2 years ago. The man has the patience of an angel :).

Very nice

Good job dude! Nice read!

Sid has had a driver for the last few years, but boy could he parallel park in his day.

Sid nearly ran me down in a crosswalk in Minneapolis about 15 years ago and then again over by the U about 8 years ago. At first I thought it might be personal, but since then I have met many people with similar stories. I think almost getting killed by Sid is sort of a Minnesota rite of passage.

Top Bottom