DID ANYONE JUST HEAR GRIMM ON 1500?

tihaberman

Reaction score
While talking about Becky trying to chop down our goal post after they beat us last year and the shenanigans that followed, Grimm was talking about the Gophers standing in the end zone like they always do listening to Hail Minnesota. Except, Grimm had no idea that the song is called Hail Minnesota. Now this isnt a direct quote, but it was something along the lines of, whatever song that is they play after the game.

Seriously? Our play by play guy doesnt even know that it's "Hail Minnesota" that is played after EVERY home game and has been for decades!?!?!

I know its not something to get all butt hurt over, but c'mon man!!!

Seems odd, but keep in mind he's not originally from here (I assume anyway) and I'm sure during the broadcast he's so focused on the play-by-play he might miss out on some of that stuff.

This is a non issue. Grimm is not the curator of Gopher History, he is the PbP man, and he is excellent at it. If we are lucky enough to have him be the voice of Gopher athletics for decades to come he will know the stuff that comes with that. Even if it were a topic worth noting, it for sure did not merit an all-caps suggestion that somebody plugged into the program told us something really important over the radio.

I was really expecting to hear that Grimm broke some news about something that mattered a lot of at least a tiny bit, like David Cobb is fine or he is not or something.

FIRE HIM NOW!
And if they don't we should burn and loot.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Vvm3Ppk4EIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Hail!

Hail Minnesota by the band for the players and with the student section is likely my favorite Gopher football tradition... (particularly following a win). I wish more of the crowd would stay for it... the student section is pretty good... My daughter is a sophomore, and I've convinced (initially insisted) that she stick around at the end of the game for it...acknowledge the tradition & respect the great institution. It give me goosebumps...

While talking about Becky trying to chop down our goal post after they beat us last year and the shenanigans that followed, Grimm was talking about the Gophers standing in the end zone like they always do listening to Hail Minnesota. Except, Grimm had no idea that the song is called Hail Minnesota. Now this isnt a direct quote, but it was something along the lines of, whatever song that is they play after the game.

Seriously? Our play by play guy doesnt even know that it's "Hail Minnesota" that is played after EVERY home game and has been for decades!?!?!

While I agree our PBP guy should be versed in our traditions and history, there is a large volume to absorb. Why not drop him an email and tell him what you know about "Hail Minnesota" and any other historical and traditional things. I'm sure he meant no disrespect.

It's "Hail! Minnesota".

C'mon man!

I'm born and raised in MN and a lifetime Gopher fan (didn't go to the U) and I had no idea what the name of that song was nor any of the words

Dave Grimm is good at his job.

Fact.

Dave Grimm was a blue-collar basketball player under Clem Haskins.

Mike Grimm is good at his job. ;)

After listening to the Eden Prairie-Totino Grace game this past Friday night, Dave Lee is still terrible at football play-by-play.

Minnesota, Hail to Thee!
Hail to Thee, our College dear!
Thy light shall ever be
A beacon bright and clear.
Thy sons and daughters true
Will proclaim Thee near and far.
They will guard Thy fame
And adore Thy name;
Thou shalt be their Northern Star!

I learned that song in 6th grade Minnesota History.

As far as Mike Grimm, I can tolerate him for FB - but I detest his Basketball coverage. He literally spends more time complaining about the officiating then he does actually calling the play-by-play. If the Gopher BB team is not on TV, I would rather follow it on game-tracker so I don't have to listen to Grimm pretending he's a referee.

Between Kill's seizures and Mike Grimm's lack of knowledge of Minnesota's state song, this who program can't move forward. And Norwood Teague's leadership credibility is already questionable. He needs to address this. (Or at least that's what I think Souhan is typing right now).

Fire him!!

I WAS SO EXCITED FOR SATURDAY'S GAME BUT AFTER READING THIS, WHY BOTHER?

History

The history of the tune is actually interesting. The original second verse was about former president of the U - Cyrus Northrup. "Hail to Thee our Prexy, Sire,
Thou hast made us all Thine own..."

Though it was written for the U in 1904, it became popular, and was made the official State of Minnesota Song in 1945. Of course, "Hail to thee our college dear!", was changed to "Hail to thee our state so dear!"

The present-day second verse for your enjoyment:

Like the stream that bends to sea,
Like the pine that seeks the blue;
Minnesota, still for Thee
Thy sons are strong and true!
From Thy woods and waters fair,
From Thy prairies waving far.
At Thy call they throng with a shout and song;
Hailing Thee their Northern Star!

I'm guessing as soon as the game is done he's gathering stats, finding out who is going to be interviewed, timing of commercials, etc.; not listening to "whatever song" is playing. Honestly, the band could probably strip down, take a lap around the field and leave and he'd have no idea.

Dave Grimm was doing the St Thomas game on Saturday.
"So the Tommies get 8 yards on first and ten.....bringing up a second and seven from the 46."

its a fake

So, the winner of a trophy may choose to do with it what they will. If Minny wins it and burns it to ashes so be it. just make another

We totally just got Buzzfed:

DID ANYONE JUST HEAR GRIMM ON 1500? WHAT HE SAID MIGHT CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOREVER.

Top Bottom