Walter Football ranks Maxx #1 TE for 2015 draft,

die hard gopher

Reaction score
Says page was updated November 1st but was clearly updated very recently. Projected 1-2 rounder.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015TE.php

Not many redshirt sophomores declare for the draft, but Williams should consider it as he could be the first tight end selected. Williams has good size, natural receiving skills, and is fast. Williams also has some blocking potential. In 2014, Williams has 25 receptions for 373 yards with seven touchdowns. He is capable of a lot more production as he is a real mismatch weapon, but the Gophers have a running based offense.

The kid is talented for sure, but definitely needs work blocking right now. He'd be a great fit in the nfl with a team that doesn't need him to do that but right now I'd say that would limit the looks he gets for a very top flight pick right now

Congrats to Maxx on the props he is getting. Much deserved. Now selfishly of course I hope he stays all 4 years, graduates and THEN goes to the NFL as a 1st round pick. :D

Ski-U-Mah!

Seeing his father played in the NFL for what seemed like a millennium, Maxx will have a great adviser in his corner when it comes to make the go/stay decision after the season. Maxx has the skills that would fit seamlessly in today's pass-happy NFL. I can't think of any kid coming out of college that doesn't need to work on his blocking and whatever Maxx may lack in technique at this point, he certainly doesn't lack in effort. He's not afraid to stick his head in there.

I think he comes back for one more year and then leaves early.

One more year. Graduate and make a run at Back-to-Back Conference Titles.

I hope he doesn't base it on "Walter Football" :)

One positive is that Duke Anyanwu hopefully will be healthy next fall and should make a big impact. He will receive should an extra year due to having to sit out this year because of an injury. The kid was REALLY coming on until he got hurt. With the extra year he will still be a sophomore this fall.

One more year. Graduate and make a run at Back-to-Back Conference Titles.

I hope he doesn't base it on "Walter Football" :)

Would seem like he would benefit from one more year of college but if he is a legit 1st or 2nd rounder it is tough to advise a guy not to go pro at that point because there is a lot of guaranteed money for guys in those top rounds. Glad he has a dad that played in the NFL and should have enough connections to help Maxx get good advice from people that actually have his best interest at heart as opposed to agents and the like that are looking out for themselves.

The 2016 TE is considered much better than the 2015 class and Maxx could only be a 3rd rounder for 2016 when he could have been a first rounder this year.

I'm glad Maxx is getting some recognition; really well deserved. Walter football is basically just one guys opinion, though. It doesn't mean too much.

The 2016 TE is considered much better than the 2015 class and Maxx could only be a 3rd rounder for 2016 when he could have been a first rounder this year.

If he is first round talent this year he will be first round talent next year. I don't buy that he will drop so many spots unless he gets injured. If he stays healthy he will only continue to get better and improve his stock.

I hope he stays for one more year but I would completely understand if he left considering that he might be the first TE taken off the board. Its both awesome and sh!tty that we have talented enough guys who have to make this decision.

We are never happy. We're either bad and miserable or we're good and miserable that everyone is leaving.

We are never happy. We're either bad and miserable or we're good and miserable that everyone is leaving.

If our problem is that people are so successful here that they leave early, we will be doing alright. The other Gophers over at Mariucci tend to have tiny senior classes with mass departures annually, and they do ok.

If our problem is that people are so successful here that they leave early, we will be doing alright. The other Gophers over at Mariucci tend to have tiny senior classes with mass departures annually, and they do ok.

No they don't. Everyone says thats why we haven't won a national title since 2003 and why we couldn't consistently win the WCHA. Losing all their players early is the exact reason for this.

This isn't the hockey thread. But I'll agree with your first point, if we have players doing so well that they can leave early as first round draft picks we will be doing pretty good.

One positive is that Duke Anyanwu hopefully will be healthy next fall and should make a big impact. He will receive should an extra year due to having to sit out this year because of an injury. The kid was REALLY coming on until he got hurt. With the extra year he will still be a sophomore this fall.

I am very pumped about Duke. I thought he was the most impressive player this Spring. Still, he is not Maxx (not saying you claimed that). One more year, please!!!

No they don't. Everyone says thats why we haven't won a national title since 2003 and why we couldn't consistently win the WCHA. Losing all their players early is the exact reason for this.

This isn't the hockey thread. But I'll agree with your first point, if we have players doing so well that they can leave early as first round draft picks we will be doing pretty good.

As you pointed out, this isn't a hockey thread, so I won't go too far down this rabbit hole, but we are coming off of back-to-back-to-back conference titles (two of which were WCHA, one was shared), 2 Frozen Fours in our last three years, and were the national runner-up last year.

As you pointed out, this isn't a hockey thread, so I won't go too far down this rabbit hole, but we are coming off of back-to-back-to-back conference titles (two of which were WCHA, one was shared), 2 Frozen Fours in our last three years, and were the national runner-up last year.

So you are saying they didn't win?

Spoke with some friends of the family from Williams hometown on Saturday in Lincoln. They all had Williams jerseys on and we were talking about his pro plans. Nothing definite but all agreed if he is a 1st or 2nd round pick he should go, but they did say he loves playing here.

Hoping he makes the right decision for him, as guaranteed millions is tough to pass up but going into the NFL early and never reaching your potential isn't a good option.

1 more year of Maxx is all I can hope for. My hope is that next year with Maxx plus all the RS frosh reinforcements (Gibson, Holland, Gentry, Connor K) and another year of growth and health with Woli, Jones and Maye, we'll actually have a really nice group of pass catchers, maybe even good enough to put the ball in the air more than 15 times per game

Agree with this Killjoy. Duke will be a heck of a TE when he is healthy and on the field!

I think he would be stupid not to go pro unfortunately. I guess it would be good for the program if another one of our players was taken pretty high in the draft but man losing him is going to hurt.

I made a post earlier this year and was mocked mercilessly for it.

I said I was afraid Maxx would get a measly 25 catches and leave.

Everybody piled on!

:(

Top Bottom