Barnes may have trimmed his list again as per Rivals

MRJ

Reaction score
Basing this on purely circumstantial evidence, Harrison Barnes may have further trimmed his list of 12 down to eight with the Gophers remaining on the list.

As of now, Rivals is indicating that Barnes is considering the following programs: Duke, Florida, Iowa State, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina, Stanford and UCLA. If Rivals is correct, that means that Oklahoma, Kentucky, USC and TCU are no longer in the running.

Again, this is going off a list of possible destinations maintained on Rivals.com, so I'm not sure how accurate it is. Just thought it was an interesting note to pass along.

I wouldn't put too much stock in Rivals list. Rarely do they have a fully accurate list of all the schools being considered by a recruit. Also, I think we would've heard an announcement if Barnes pared it down to 8.

I wouldn't put too much stock in Rivals list. Rarely do they have a fully accurate list of all the schools being considered by a recruit. Also, I think we would've heard an announcement if Barnes pared it down to 8.

I've actually found them to be pretty reputable as compared to other recruiting services on an overall basis. But you may very well be correct. I just found it interesting is all.

I've actually found them to be pretty reputable as compared to other recruiting services on an overall basis. But you may very well be correct. I just found it interesting is all.

Not really. Rivals, Scout, all of them are unable to put accurate, up-to-date information 100% of the time.

Scout.com always seems to be a bit more reliable when it comes to interested schools/offers.

Scout is actually less reliable. Rivals simply caps the number of schools they list in a players profile. I've seen a ton of occassions when Scout lists a bunch of non existent offers.

Talking to one of his Pulley teammates, I was informed that Harrison wants to stay close to home. Plus, he wants to start right away.

I was informed that Harrison wants to stay close to home. Plus, he wants to start right away.

coughminnesotacough.

Not to put the cart before the horse, but could you imagine his freshmen year having Nolen/Cobbs at point, him/Royce/Rodney on wings, Mbakwe at 4 and Sampson/Iverson at 5. Add a bench of Devoe, Blake and Carter. That could be fun!!!

Talking to one of his Pulley teammates, I was informed that Harrison wants to stay close to home. Plus, he wants to start right away.

He'll start wherever he goes, I think.

Kansas and Minnesota are probably closest to his Ames IA home (along with Iowa St, of course).

Not really. Rivals, Scout, all of them are unable to put accurate, up-to-date information 100% of the time.

Completely agree. There have certainly been times when both services have been wrong. And in that regard, its almost impossible for any recruiting service to correct all the time with all of their information. It's just a matter of degrees I guess.

It doesn't take much to see that Minn or Kansas would be the most obvious choice for him, and I bet that's what it comes down to. ISU isn't good enough, and Duke, NC, UCLA, etc are far away. FWIW, that's the scuttlebutt on other boards (though he's been declared a KU "lock" by some).

They are all at the mercy of what a recruit will/will not tell them and trying to determine from whatever motions the players make as to what their interest appear to be. At best they can only give estimates unless the recruit is straightforward honest with them.

I've heard that it's down to four: us, ISU, UNC, and Duke. His mom loves Tubby apparently. If we get him, anything less than a Final Four in 2010-2011 would be disappointing. Gosh it feels weird saying that about the Gophs...:)

This is all speculation but I would expect KU to be in it until the end if staying close is a priority. Anyone know if he is considered a definite one and one type guy?

since barnes is playing w/ howard pulley now does that mean he is living in mpls....

this summer. or does he just meet up with them at their various tourney sites around the region/country? anyone know.

this summer. or does he just meet up with them at their various tourney sites around the region/country? anyone know.

I thought that in the article in which is has announced he was leaving the Upper Iowa AAU team to join with Howard Pulley that it mentioned he was still living in Ames for the summer. I could be wrong about that, but I thought I remembered reading something along these lines.

Back in my glory days, I used to hop around the AAU circuit with different teams. I would meet my various team at the tournament site. In Barnes' case, he may drive up to the Cities to catch a flight from MSP.

There's no way he's not living at home. He just meets the team on the few weekends they play wherever they are playing.

HP got invited to the Peach Jam again. Largely because they have Barnes.

I've heard that it's down to four: us, ISU, UNC, and Duke. His mom loves Tubby apparently. If we get him, anything less than a Final Four in 2010-2011 would be disappointing. Gosh it feels weird saying that about the Gophs...:)

Where did you hear a final list that didn't include Kansas? That seems quite dubious.

New article from scout.com on Harrison's Stanford visit if anyone's interested:

Two weekends ago, Harrison Barnes made a trip out to the West Coast to participate in the Pangos All-American Camp. After playing in the Long Beach based event, the 6-foot-6 swing -- and scout.com’s top ranked basketball player in the class of 2010 -- fit in a few visits. After a trip to UCLA, Barnes and his mother made their way up to Palo Alto.

After meeting with the staff and touring the school, Barnes left impressed.

“Not only are they one of the top colleges in America, they have one of the top business schools,” said Barnes. “It’s really unique and it’s clear that they really push their students academically.”

Given the way the NCAA governs contact between prospective student athletes and coaching staffs, unofficial visits are particularly important because it gives a staff and player a chance to actually get to know each other. That sentiment is one that Barnes echoed when talking about meeting with coach Johnny Dawkins and his staff.

“It was very good because we’ve never really had much time to talk face to face,” said Barnes of meeting with Dawkins. “It was nice to get him and his coaching staff a little bit and what’s special about Stanford.”

One of the highlights of the visit for Barnes, was the opportunity to meet with “Professor Rice”.

“To be able to meet her, that was an unbelievable experience,” said Barnes of meeting with Condoleezza Rice who he deemed “the third most powerful person in the world” at one point . “There was a little bit of pressure.”

Whether it be a visit to Stanford, Duke, North Carolina (where he’ll stop by in just over a week), Kansas or any other program, Barnes sees a lot of value in his visits.

“There’s only a first time for a first impression,” said Barnes. “The first impression lasts with me for a long while so it’s going to really be important for me when thinking about all of these schools.”

A competitive student who has already taken several AP level courses, Barnes is serious about his education. The potential to leave school early is there, but for now he’s planning on getting a degree and says that not much has changed with his approach since blowing up and ascending to the top of the class of 2010.

“I don’t think much has changed,” said Barnes. “I’m still looking for a school with a very good business program and somewhere that will be able to compete in basketball. I want to have a career in business after basketball. After winning a state title, I want to win another one and then try to add a national title at the college level.”

Next on the agenda for Barnes is a trip to the prestigious NBPA top 100 camp. To say that he’s looking forward to challenging himself against the nation’s best is an understatement and despite his top billing, he’s still attacking things as if he’s an unknown player looking for respect. “I still think I have a lot to prove and I’m going to play with a chip on my shoulder,” said Barnes. “I still want to go out there and prove my worth to people. I want to show everybody how much I’ve improved and what I’m all about.”

http://stanford.scout.com/2/871701.html

New article from scout.com on Harrison's Stanford visit if anyone's interested:

Two weekends ago, Harrison Barnes made a trip out to the West Coast to participate in the Pangos All-American Camp. After playing in the Long Beach based event, the 6-foot-6 swing -- and scout.com’s top ranked basketball player in the class of 2010 -- fit in a few visits. After a trip to UCLA, Barnes and his mother made their way up to Palo Alto.

After meeting with the staff and touring the school, Barnes left impressed.

“Not only are they one of the top colleges in America, they have one of the top business schools,” said Barnes. “It’s really unique and it’s clear that they really push their students academically.”

Given the way the NCAA governs contact between prospective student athletes and coaching staffs, unofficial visits are particularly important because it gives a staff and player a chance to actually get to know each other. That sentiment is one that Barnes echoed when talking about meeting with coach Johnny Dawkins and his staff.

“It was very good because we’ve never really had much time to talk face to face,” said Barnes of meeting with Dawkins. “It was nice to get him and his coaching staff a little bit and what’s special about Stanford.”

One of the highlights of the visit for Barnes, was the opportunity to meet with “Professor Rice”.

“To be able to meet her, that was an unbelievable experience,” said Barnes of meeting with Condoleezza Rice who he deemed “the third most powerful person in the world” at one point . “There was a little bit of pressure.”

Whether it be a visit to Stanford, Duke, North Carolina (where he’ll stop by in just over a week), Kansas or any other program, Barnes sees a lot of value in his visits.

“There’s only a first time for a first impression,” said Barnes. “The first impression lasts with me for a long while so it’s going to really be important for me when thinking about all of these schools.”

A competitive student who has already taken several AP level courses, Barnes is serious about his education. The potential to leave school early is there, but for now he’s planning on getting a degree and says that not much has changed with his approach since blowing up and ascending to the top of the class of 2010.

“I don’t think much has changed,” said Barnes. “I’m still looking for a school with a very good business program and somewhere that will be able to compete in basketball. I want to have a career in business after basketball. After winning a state title, I want to win another one and then try to add a national title at the college level.”

Next on the agenda for Barnes is a trip to the prestigious NBPA top 100 camp. To say that he’s looking forward to challenging himself against the nation’s best is an understatement and despite his top billing, he’s still attacking things as if he’s an unknown player looking for respect. “I still think I have a lot to prove and I’m going to play with a chip on my shoulder,” said Barnes. “I still want to go out there and prove my worth to people. I want to show everybody how much I’ve improved and what I’m all about.”

http://stanford.scout.com/2/871701.html

I just became a bigger fan of Barnes. There aren't many high school basketball stars who have things in perspective like him and seriously consider academics in looking at a college.

There aren't many high school basketball stars who have things in perspective like him and seriously consider academics in looking at a college.

Sounds like mom has had a very good influence on his life.

She really likes coughtubbysmithcough.

Minnesota is just a Disney movie or two from Ames. :)

"The latest buzz is that 6-foot-6 Harrison Barnes, the consensus No. 1 incoming senior prep basketball player in the nation and someone of whom the Gophers have been in hot pursuit, is leaning toward Kansas." - http://www.twincities.com/ci_12585998?source=most_viewed

I wonder how much truth there is to that. It's a logical choice, but as far as I know, Barnes hasn't said anything like that. Anyone know anything about this?

who wouldnt...

who wouldnt be impressed by the Stanford campus? If you can get into Stanford and actually cut it, do it!

"The latest buzz is that 6-foot-6 Harrison Barnes, the consensus No. 1 incoming senior prep basketball player in the nation and someone of whom the Gophers have been in hot pursuit, is leaning toward Kansas." - http://www.twincities.com/ci_12585998?source=most_viewed

I wonder how much truth there is to that. It's a logical choice, but as far as I know, Barnes hasn't said anything like that. Anyone know anything about this?

I read that in the pioneer press as well. I wouldn't read too much into it as it is early in the process still and I can't even count how many times they have been wrong about these things.
________
Indica strains

It wouldn't really make sense for him to go to Stanford if he's a "one and done," right? Maybe he's planning on playing for 3 or 4 years.

I actually like Standford's basketball program, but when you combine the fact that he's not likely to stay four years with the assumption that he wants a shot at a national title, Stanford does not make sense. Even with him, they are not close to that level right now. Obviously, Kansas and NC provide the best chance, but the Gophers become a legit final four conetender with him on board as well.

Unless you are new to Minnesota, you should know better than to bring this to our attention. If anything, a Shooter scoop is the kiss of death for Kansas getting Barnes.

Top Bottom