Tennessee Congressman Would Like To Ask David Stern Some Questions

The Truth

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...YcB?slug=dw-agerule060309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I'm usually against government "meddling" in things like these but Congressman Cohen does have a point. Yes, he represents a district that includes Memphis and its University so this could all very well be political posturing and free PR (he wouldn't be the first politician guilty of that) but I wouldn't mind Stern and Billy Hunter having to answer questions on the record about why the rule is beneficial to both the NBA and the NCAA.

let them go

Let kids go directly from HS to the NBA, make them formally declare for the draft and if they don't get drafted, too bad, no scollies. And if you declare for college and accept a scollie, no NBA for four years. Make a decision and stick with it. If you flunk out, you still wait your four years. Simple.

Let kids go directly from HS to the NBA, make them formally declare for the draft and if they don't get drafted, too bad, no scollies. And if you declare for college and accept a scollie, no NBA for four years. Make a decision and stick with it. If you flunk out, you still wait your four years. Simple.

See, that's way too harsh. Kids get bad advice all the time from people who don't always have their best interests at heart. For every Kobe or KG there is a Kwame Brown (and that is a really sad story. It's easy to pick on Kwame but if you read into his background and where he came from it's kind of pathetic what happened to him and his career) or a Korleone Young. We don't pile on the kids who are eligible for the MLB Draft coming out of high school the way we do for the basketball players.

There has to be a consensus reached that protects the players, the integrity of the college game and benefits the NBA. A rule similar to those regarding the draft in baseball and the minor leagues makes the most sense in my opinion.

See, that's way too harsh. Kids get bad advice all the time from people who don't always have their best interests at heart. For every Kobe or KG there is a Kwame Brown (and that is a really sad story. It's easy to pick on Kwame but if you read into his background and where he came from it's kind of pathetic what happened to him and his career) or a Korleone Young. We don't pile on the kids who are eligible for the MLB Draft coming out of high school the way we do for the basketball players.

There has to be a consensus reached that protects the players, the integrity of the college game and benefits the NBA. A rule similar to those regarding the draft in baseball and the minor leagues makes the most sense in my opinion.

Korleone Young--now there's a name from the past...

I still don't understand why basketball doesn't follow the footsteps of baseball and hockey. Hockey does it totally right and baseball is certainly better than basketball. In hockey, you get drafted out of high school and then go to college (unless you're Sidney Crosby--hockey's version of LeBron). The team that drafts you retains your rights throughout your collegiate career and you enter the NHL when the team that drafted you decides you're ready. Baseball has a good way of doing it as well, but I don't think it would work in basketball because everyone thinks they are ready out of high school in basketball plus there is no minor league, unlike baseball.

Top Bottom