GopherHole Q&A: Getting to Know Freshman Guard Nate Mason

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Getting to Know Freshman Guard Nate Mason
By Sam Utterberg

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/449142?referrer_id=

Nate Mason is in his freshman year at the University of Minnesota playing both point guard and shooting guard for the men’s basketball team. The 6’1 freshman from Decatur, GA has had a big early impact on the Gophers and appears to be a great addition for Coach Pitino and the staff.

He is expected to split time with senior guard DeAndre Mathieu at the PG and senior guard Andre Hollins at the SG. GopherHole’s Sam Utterberg caught up with Mason to learn more about his transition to Minnesota.

Sam Utterberg: How are you enjoying campus?

Nate Mason: Loving it, man. Nothing better than college.

Sam Utterberg: How is Minnesota different than Georgia and Florida?

Nate Mason: It’s very different, all I’m hearing about is the cold here.

Sam Utterberg: The Barn will be nice and warm for ya. You expect to play a lot this year?

Nate Mason: I mean I really don’t know but I’m just here trying to get better, trying to help my team, get better every day in practice.

Sam Utterberg: You playing a lot of 1 and 2, like handling the ball and playing off the ball too?

Nate Mason: Yeah I’m just playing the position Coach Pitino gives me, trying to compete in practice every day, make the team better, be the best that I can be.

Sam Utterberg: What do you think is the strongest part of your game?

Nate Mason: Defense. Probably defense and communication. I like to talk, I like to talk on the court, play defense, do all the little things to get my team to where they wanna go.

Sam Utterberg: How do you feel about playing in the Big Ten Conference, one of the strongest conferences in the country?

Nate Mason: Man, I’m excited. Everyone’s excited to play, the whole team, man. We’re just excited to get out here and showcase our abilities.

Sam Utterberg: Have you been to a game here before?

Nate Mason: No, I haven’t.

Sam Utterberg: I think you’ll love it. It gets really loud. I read in your profile that you were valedictorian at your school, so what classes are you taking here?

Nate Mason: Kinesiology.

Sam Utterberg: You’re a kinesiology major then?

Nate Mason: I’m not, I’m currently undecided in my major, but kinesiology, a lot of leadership classes, just my general classes.

Sam Utterberg: What school are you in?

Nate Mason: College of Education and Human Development.

Thanks Sam. I am really excited about Nate's early impact. He's going to be a big part of this programs future!!

Thanks Sam. I am really excited about Nate's early impact. He's going to be a big part of this programs future!!

Agree completely. Been extremely impressed with him.

It's almost impossible not to be impressed with Mason. He's smart, seems personable, loves playing D, has a very good handle and can knock down shots!

I can't believe how well he's been playing - I think he will be huge for us.

Looks like someone who could lead us to elite 8 appearances (or better??!!?) with the right pieces around him in a couple years (Junior/Senior year). Great shot, he plays like he sees the whole floor which is what a lot of players didn't play like these past few years. Exciting player.

Top Bottom