2016 would be an opportune time for Gophers to be really, really good (top 4 seed)

That would be nice. Any chance that happens? I thought most around here thought we would take a step back next season.

Nate mason looked really good against louisville, for a freshmen in his first true game. Give him a year under Pitino and you never know. I think it really depends on how this team does the rest of this year as to the development of the younger players in Mason, Martin, Konate, Morris(1st year in program) and McNeil. We know what we'll get from King the rest are unknowns a year from now.

That would be nice. Any chance that happens? I thought most around here thought we would take a step back next season.

Probably not much chance. I'm in the step backwards in 2015-16 camp. Like Gophers' chances of making the NCAA much better this season than next.

Probably not much chance. I'm in the step backwards in 2015-16 camp. Like Gophers' chances of making the NCAA much better this season than next.

Why do we all think our chances next year are worse? We seem pretty high on the type of recruits Pitino is bringing in, excited about the young guys he has this year, and excited about next year's freshman class. I know they will be young, but basketball seems like a sport where the talented young guys are able to make pretty immediate contributions.

The surface would seem to agree with you. What I cannot measure is the importance of continuity in regard to coaching. We'll lose bigs and Hollins, which is huge, but the added athleticism and the continued maturation of Pitino as a coach cannot be underestimated.

Top 4? That is hard to envision. But...it is possible that 2016 will bring an even better team than this years squad. One thing I'm looking for in any squad is to see how much better the team is in March as compared to November. I am excited to see how much better we will be from the Louisville game to the B1G tournament. I believe we have a wonderful ceiling to reach, not just this season, but in the future seasons.

Why do we all think our chances next year are worse? We seem pretty high on the type of recruits Pitino is bringing in, excited about the young guys he has this year, and excited about next year's freshman class. I know they will be young, but basketball seems like a sport where the talented young guys are able to make pretty immediate contributions.

I just think our 4 incoming freshman will have a hard time improving over the guys thry're replacing. Even if Dorsey and Johnson are as good/better than advertised, I'm guessing they won't be as effective as true freshman than Mathieu and Hollins will be this year, as seniors. Bakary and Mason will need to make big jumps as sophomores if we're going to get a 4-5 seed next year imo. Certainly not impossible, a lot can change in two years.

One of the current freshman/sophomore/juniors could break out and become an all Big 10 type player. We could sign a talented transfer to be a big contributor in 2015-2016. Right now though our upper-classmen next year will be Joey, Squirrel, McNeil, and Buggs. I like those guys but they probably aren't going to carry us to a 4 seed without some help.

Not ready to declare we'll be a #4 seed in 2016 but I'm confident we will better in 2016, than this season.

Top Bottom