PiPress: Time to turn up the defensive intensity

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Pitino is worried less about the Hilltoppers (1-0), who lost to Minnesota in the opening round of the 2010 Puerto Rico Tip Off, than his own team.

The Gophers' second-year coach reminded himself watching the video about the way his FIU team played defensively that year. The Panthers were aggressive. They were intense. They caused havoc with constant pressure.

That's the way Pitino wants the Gophers (0-1) to play defense, something they didn't do in Friday's season-opening, 81-68 loss to No. 8 Louisville in the Armed Forces Classic in Puerto Rico.

"I liked our defensive intensity at FIU a lot more than I like it right now at this stage of this program," Pitino said. "I think we're getting better at that. We were eighth in the country in steals at FIU. We need to get to that. That needs to be our identity defensively."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26956421/gophers-basketball-time-turn-up-defensive-intensity

Go Gophers!!

Yes, the Gopher's press looked nominal and casual most of the time against Louisville. There were few instances of traps and the defensive pressure was more disinterested than spirited. Of course Louisville's toughness and quickness had tons to do with it. I certainly hope and expect high octane against the 'toppers.

Top Bottom