CBB Referees

jamiche

Reaction score
I've only read a few posts on the Louisville game thread so I don't know if the subject of the refs was covered. This is intended as a more general commentary.

The game last night was nearly three hours. There was probably eight minutes of floor wiping that was very necessary for player safety. The rest of the excessive length was due to the 50-60 fouls that the refs called. Over the last decade college basketball referees have begun to choke the game by calling everything. There are now so many stoppages in play that the game is nearly unwatchable. I didn't track it but I'll bet that there weren't three consecutive possessions last night without a foul call. I turned it off with about three minutes left, far more distressed about referee domination than the gopher loss.

The refs are killing a great game. Use some judgement. If there has been physical contact, but no competitive advantage has resulted, don't call it. Let 'em play!!

if the offensive player jumps into the defensive player you can't call a foul. Players have adjusted to attempting to force fouls rather than trying to make buckets.

Agree with the OP. What with the commercials and incessant play stoppages, it's becoming hard to be a general CBB fan. If it's not the Gophers, I'd rather spend any free time I have on other things than commercial/whistle/whistle/whistle.

Also, a deep bench in today's game is meaningless. The players have so many stoppages of play that most players other than the 7-footers should easily be able to play 30+ minutes.

This has nothing to do with the military, but I just don't like these games played at non basketball arenas.

Top Bottom