Gophers offer Trey Zeigler, son of Central Michigan's HC

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from Monter:

Trey Zeigler, a 6-foot-5 rising senior wing, received a scholarship offer from Minnesota two weeks ago. Zeigler, the son of Central Michigan head coach Ernie Zeigler, averaged 24 points and nine rebounds per game and shot 48% from three-point range. Zeigler has shined this spring as a member of the Team Detroit AAU program.

Zeigler comes from a basketball family. His father, Ernie is entering his fourth year of coaching at Central Michigan. He spent five seasons as an assistant under Ben Howland at both Pittsburgh (2002-03) and UCLA (2004-06). Prior to joining Howland’s staff, Zeigler had one-year stints at Kansas State (2000) and Bowling Green (2001). Zeigler was the head AAU coach for Team Detroit, which is now his son's AAU team from 1992 to 1997.

Zeigler has scholarship offers from schools such as Arizona State, Michigan, Michigan State, Miami (FL), Arizona State, UCLA and Minnesota.

Go Gophers!!

Offers

It seems like we have more offers out than we have scholarships. Is it now first come first serve on who we get?

Cant wait to see how it shakes out.

It seems like we have more offers out than we have scholarships. Is it now first come first serve on who we get?

Cant wait to see how it shakes out.

I think this is one of the overriding philosophies of big-time recruiting in college athletics. You offer a bunch of guys scholarships that you regard as top-of-the-line guys, and then you wait to see who is going to accept and then re-evaluate after each commitment.

I think in football it might be a little different with there being more schollies available yearly, but in basketball, with as few scholarships that are available, you offer the chance to guys and see who accepts and who doesn't.

The most recent example would be the Darius Smith-Justin Cobbs situation from last year. Smith received his offer first (at least, I think) and was on the verge of committing, but then changed his mind and wanted to wait. Tubby and the staff then offered a scholarship to Cobbs and it came down to who committed first. Cobbs committed during his visit and there was no scholly left for Smith, who admitted he wanted to go to Minnesota later on, but didn't pull the trigger fast enough.

As a result, Smith is headed to UConn and we got Cobbs. This is just the latest example of this happening, but I think it's pretty common in basketball recruiting.

I think this is one of the overriding philosophies of big-time recruiting in college athletics. You offer a bunch of guys scholarships that you regard as top-of-the-line guys, and then you wait to see who is going to accept and then re-evaluate after each commitment.

I think in football it might be a little different with there being more schollies available yearly, but in basketball, with as few scholarships that are available, you offer the chance to guys and see who accepts and who doesn't.

The most recent example would be the Darius Smith-Justin Cobbs situation from last year. Smith received his offer first (at least, I think) and was on the verge of committing, but then changed his mind and wanted to wait. Tubby and the staff then offered a scholarship to Cobbs and it came down to who committed first. Cobbs committed during his visit and there was no scholly left for Smith, who admitted he wanted to go to Minnesota later on, but didn't pull the trigger fast enough.

As a result, Smith is headed to UConn and we got Cobbs. This is just the latest example of this happening, but I think it's pretty common in basketball recruiting.

Are you sure about the Smith/Cobbs things? I've been kind of curious as to how that works with scholarships when schools offer more than they have. I suppose the first come first serve thing makes sense. It's really too bad that Smith didn't commit when he had the chance if he really did want to come here. Did he really admit that he wanted to come here even with such great other offers on the table and now that he's going to uconn?

Ziegler sounds like a hell of player but it seems like he's going to be pretty hard to get. I don't really know anything about him but I'm going to guess he will go to Mich St.

Gotta figure with so many offers to highly ranked players that we are bound to land at least one great prospect plus for sure JT if others decide not to come. I'd be happy with that. Did we have this many offers to these high of players in the last two years?

Are you sure about the Smith/Cobbs things? I've been kind of curious as to how that works with scholarships when schools offer more than they have. I suppose the first come first serve thing makes sense. It's really too bad that Smith didn't commit when he had the chance if he really did want to come here. Did he really admit that he wanted to come here even with such great other offers on the table and now that he's going to uconn?

Smith claimed that Cobbs accepted one day before he was about to.

Ziegler sounds like a hell of player but it seems like he's going to be pretty hard to get. I don't really know anything about him but I'm going to guess he will go to Mich St.

Gotta figure with so many offers to highly ranked players that we are bound to land at least one great prospect plus for sure JT if others decide not to come. I'd be happy with that. Did we have this many offers to these high of players in the last two years?

As I recall, there was an article in one of the Chicago newspapers in which Smith spoke pretty frankly about his desire to be a Gopher, but also discussed that another guard stepped up and took the scholarship offer before he could. I could be wrong however.

After that, he committed to UConn.

As I recall, there was an article in one of the Chicago newspapers in which Smith spoke pretty frankly about his desire to be a Gopher, but also discussed that another guard stepped up and took the scholarship offer before he could. I could be wrong however.

After that, he committed to UConn.

From Taylor Bell (March 12, 2009) article in Chicago Sun-Times:

Q: You almost signed early with Minnesota but didn’t. What did you learn from that experience?

A: Recruiting is a business. Someone out there is willing to take a step before you do. I wanted to go to Minnesota and [coach] Tubby Smith. I wish I could have gone there. That was a perfect fit for me. But they signed another guard. Everything happens for a reason.

Trey Zeigler, a 6-foot-5 rising senior wing, received a scholarship offer from Minnesota two weeks ago. Zeigler, the son of Central Michigan head coach Ernie Zeigler, averaged 24 points and nine rebounds per game and shot 48% from three-point range. Zeigler has shined this spring as a member of the Team Detroit AAU program.

Zeigler comes from a basketball family. His father, Ernie is entering his fourth year of coaching at Central Michigan. He spent five seasons as an assistant under Ben Howland at both Pittsburgh (2002-03) and UCLA (2004-06). Prior to joining Howland’s staff, Zeigler had one-year stints at Kansas State (2000) and Bowling Green (2001). Zeigler was the head AAU coach for Team Detroit, which is now his son's AAU team from 1992 to 1997.

Zeigler has scholarship offers from schools such as Arizona State, Michigan, Michigan State, Miami (FL), Arizona State, UCLA and Minnesota.

Go Gophers!!

Rated #37 in 2010 class by www.hoopmasters.com Hoopmasters.

Says a lot

From Taylor Bell (March 12, 2009) article in Chicago Sun-Times:

Q: You almost signed early with Minnesota but didn’t. What did you learn from that experience?

A: Recruiting is a business. Someone out there is willing to take a step before you do. I wanted to go to Minnesota and [coach] Tubby Smith. I wish I could have gone there. That was a perfect fit for me. But they signed another guard. Everything happens for a reason.

That quote says a lot. This cant be easy for an 18 year old kid making this decision. I hope he does well at UCONN.

First come first serve. Head Coach of the Golden Gophers, Tubby Smith :clap: :clap: :clap:

God, I love that phrase.

Go Gophers!!

Dude should go to Central Michigan and play for his father! It shouldn't even be close.

Darius Smith may have wanted to be a Gopher, but I seem to remember him wanting to wait until the spring to sign, while Tubby wanted him to sign in the fall (which Cobbs did, and Smith did wait until spring to sign with Uconn). He made it sound like Cobbs swooped in and took his spot at the last minute, and if only he had 1 more week he would have signed, but I don't think that's what happened.

Not all the long before the Nov. signing date Tubby went to Smith's home in Chicago and had a long sitdown with Smith. He wanted him to commit and Smith wouldn't do it. So Tubby came home and took Cobbs' verbal. Darius says that now but if he was ready Tubby would have taken him commit and he gave him every chance to do it. Tubby simply didn't want to wait on him in case he didn't want to end up signing until the last period.

All offers are technically first come first serve but coaches have ways of massaging that. They will slow play certain recruits, maybe not return phone calls right away or whatever. Some are truly first come first serve if they don't prefer one player over another but if Harrison Barnes told them he really likes them but wanted to wait longer, they arent' going to fill his spot. Just depends on the player and situation and other options. That's just one reason that recruiting is a complicated business.

Darn, that's too bad Smith didn't take the offer earlier if he really did want to play here. Although, Cobbs sounds like he's going to be just as good, so idk. If only we were allowed one more scholarship (or could take away Bostick's).

Not all the long before the Nov. signing date Tubby went to Smith's home in Chicago and had a long sitdown with Smith. He wanted him to commit and Smith wouldn't do it. So Tubby came home and took Cobbs' verbal. Darius says that now but if he was ready Tubby would have taken him commit and he gave him every chance to do it. Tubby simply didn't want to wait on him in case he didn't want to end up signing until the last period.

All offers are technically first come first serve but coaches have ways of massaging that. They will slow play certain recruits, maybe not return phone calls right away or whatever. Some are truly first come first serve if they don't prefer one player over another but if Harrison Barnes told them he really likes them but wanted to wait longer, they arent' going to fill his spot. Just depends on the player and situation and other options. That's just one reason that recruiting is a complicated business.

UK tried to land Vince Yarborough in summer of 2007 but he picked Tennessee instead.

Then UK tired hard to land Mike Miller at Midnight Madness 2007 but he opted for Florida.

Kentucky turned to next in line. Tayshaun Prince, come on down. He signed with UK and became 3-time All-SEC, 2-time All-American, NBA champion, and Olympic Gold Medalist.

Top Bottom