ESPN: Weekend Predictions: The Pitino Bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Minnesota vs. No. 8 Louisville (-8.5), Armed Forces Classic at U.S.C.G. AIR STATION BORINQUEN, Aguadilla, Puerto Rico, Friday, 7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN:

The Richard Pitino vs. Rick Pitino matchup is obviously the prominent story line entering this matchup, but it's not the most significant element of this father-son battle. The bottom line is that Louisville is a strong defensive squad (No. 1 in Ken Pomeroy's efficiency ratings) with offensive weapons that Minnesota can't match. Montrezl Harrell's versatility will be a challenge for a Gophers team that has length inside (Mo Walker, Elliott Eliason) but lacks the interior athleticism it will need to contend with Harrell and Co. Mangok Mathiang will protect the rim and force a Gophers squad that relied on the 3-ball throughout a postseason that included an NIT championship to stay on the outside. Should be a good game. Louisville will win but won't cover the spread.

Prediction: Louisville 79, Minnesota 73

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/100665/weekend-predictions-the-pitino-bowl

Go Gophers!!

I'll take a single digit loss, although I hope we're within 5 so that it's exciting.

Even though I'm not a die-hard Gopher fan, they are my second team. I am very excited for this game! Good Luck tonight, I'll be cheering for you guys!

Rant Sports says we win by 9.

My prediction for this game is that both Hollins and Mathieu go off for about 20 points each, and we see how unstable the Cardinals are against elite college basketball shooting guards. Don’t get me wrong, Harrell will dominate in the paint against every team Louisville faces this season. However, the rest of the team isn’t talented enough to win the ACC or string together enough from behind the arc to win against fast, guard-heavy teams like Minnesota. I’m calling the first big game of the season leads to the first big upset; Golden Gophers win.

Prediction: Minnesota 85, Louisville 76

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-bask...nesota-vs-louisville-game-preview-prediction/

Top Bottom