PDA

View Full Version : LSU vs Minnesota

gophersfan
05-31-2009, 03:39 PM
so who going to pitch for Minnesota tonight. game at 6 pm central.

Lincoln gopher
05-31-2009, 03:42 PM
so who going to pitch for Minnesota tonight. game at 6 pm central.

Good question, looks like Ohio State ran out of pitching. They have to beat Florida twice and are down 20-0 in the third inning. Hope the Gophers have something left to shut down the Tigers.

Maximus
05-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Bechstein pitching....two starts....8.84 ERA.....watch out....34 hits in 18.1 innings. Opponents batting .395

Stranger things have happened

gophersfan
05-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Minnesota is the home team for tonight game.

Maximus
05-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Announcers and everything.....cool

gophersfan
05-31-2009, 05:12 PM
nice inning to start thing off.

gophersfan
05-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Announcers and everything.....cool

announcers are the LSU radio guys.

Maximus
05-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Announcers make it more fun

9,500 at the ballpark....what a difference to the northern schools

gophersfan
05-31-2009, 05:23 PM
this is nice. we making the LSU pitcher work right now.

gophersfan
05-31-2009, 05:24 PM
runners on 1st and 3rd 1 out.

Maximus
05-31-2009, 05:30 PM
He threw a lot of pitches...0-0 top 2

Maximus
05-31-2009, 05:33 PM
OMG....the difference between south baseball and north baseball.

Florida State over Ohio State, 35-2!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the 8th. 35 runs on 35 hits. FSU led 32-0 after four and a half.

The Big Ten should probably drop baseball and save money. If it's not a summer sport, it's kinda pointless.

TNGophfan
05-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Did Florida State snap the ball over the punter's head and out of the end zone?

JohnnyGopher
05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
two Big Ten teams in regional finals, yeh let's drop the sport. Ohio State had absolutely nothing left to pitch so they ended up using anything that was left including position players.

Look at tonights game, Coleman for LSU who was 11-2 and Bechstein who has been pretty bad in relief this year for us.

Not sure I understand the reason for starting Bechstein but I'm not sure it matters.

JohnnyGopher
05-31-2009, 06:00 PM
HR to lead off the third, then a single, hit by pitch, and another single and sac fly, now 7-0.

and to top it off, Ryan warming up:confused:

I guess we're saving the good stuff for the game tomarrow:rolleyes:

MRJ
05-31-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure what our strategy is right now as far as pitching goes either. But frankly, I'm surprised that Bechstein has pitched three innings so far.

I'll be even more surprised if Bechstein pitches in the fourth.

JohnnyGopher
05-31-2009, 06:23 PM
He's getting hit hard but I guess 7 runs in four innings isn't too bad. where's Sexton or Klabunde, Fern or issackson or Lubinsky. Don't want to pile on Bechstein but the truth is he has really struggled this year so it's a weird choice to start when we actually do have some other options. I could see tomarrow. Now Ryan is in who has been shaky this year as well. Oh well, won't matter if the bats don't come alive, and Coleman looks like he has good stuff tonight.

MRJ
05-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Actually, I thought Bechstein was okay for the most part. Can't expect a guy who is our fourth or fifth starter to come in and throw blanks. It seemed like once the error happened in the second, it fell apart a little bit from there. But again, it may have simply been a case of delaying the inevitable up until then.

Coleman is just tough for them. He throws hard and has some really nasty breaking stuff. I'm having a hard time seeing us scoring more than one or two runs for the game as long as Coleman is in there.

gophersfan
05-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Eric Decker with a double.

MRJ
05-31-2009, 06:39 PM
Geason needed to at least swing at one of those two pitches. He looked completely befuddled during that entire at-bat.

It's tough to win when you get a guy at third with less than two outs twice and the guys stop putting the ball in play from there.

JohnnyGopher
05-31-2009, 06:52 PM
You wonder if Geason is all there after that beaning in the head earlier. The error and some less than quality at bats.

Ryan gives up 2 more in the sixth, 9-0.

gophersfan
05-31-2009, 06:57 PM
What the hell just happen. John Anderson out there aguring the call.

JohnnyGopher
05-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Oh my god, what a complete joke these umps are, that was a brutal call, the ball was lying on the field behind him, How the hell can four umpires miss an obvious call like that.

Peterson lead off with a single, the McCallum singled to right but Mitchell made a diving attempt at the ball but missed it and he rolled on to the ball, then picked it up with his bare hand behind him and held it up like he caught it and these clueless morons called him out and Peterson was doubled off first.

MRJ
05-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Well, that was great. Not only are we outmanned and out-gunned, now the umpires are making really bad calls against us on top of that. Not even close on that "catch" by the LSU right fielder, although he did a hell of a sales job on the ump, who bought it hook, line, and sinker.

Then the umps toss one of our guys from the bench for complaining about the call. Great. :rolleyes:

Oh well, it was a good season.

MRJ
05-31-2009, 07:06 PM
You wonder if Geason is all there after that beaning in the head earlier. The error and some less than quality at bats.

Ryan gives up 2 more in the sixth, 9-0.

Yeah, I'm not sure if Kyle is all there. Might want to get him out of there since he already has a head injury and a whole bunch of cotton stuck up his nose.

JohnnyGopher
05-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Not only that but then the camera kept showing him laughing his ass off that they bought it.

It's not like we're complaining because we think we're going to get nine runs that inning, but two on, nobody out and 4-5-6 up would of been nice to see what we could do, especially after what baylor did last game.

No excuse for tournament umpires to make a call that bad.

GoldenGo4Fan
05-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Not only that but then the camera kept showing him laughing his ass off that they bought it.

It's not like we're complaining because we think we're going to get nine runs that inning, but two on, nobody out and 4-5-6 up would of been nice to see what we could do, especially after what baylor did last game.

Yeah, maybe that lead off homer would have been a 3 run homer.

That had to be one of the worse calls I have ever seen. The outfielder got to laughing about it so hard that he had to put his glove over his mouth to stop showing those pearly whites.

Ughhhhh!!!!

MRJ
05-31-2009, 07:15 PM

Absolutely agree. We're not going to come back and win this game. But making that call effectively takes away any chance at even a minor rally, which I think we could have had going.

File that under the "when it rains, it pours" category.

lsu1
05-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Well yall got hosed on that call

JohnnyGopher
05-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Finally went to the LSU board to see what they had to say about the catch and just as I thought, the baseball Tiger fans are as big of asses as the LSU Football fans.

lsu1
05-31-2009, 07:20 PM
what all of agreed that was a bad call. Which board did u go to?

MRJ
05-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Well yall got hosed on that call

Appreciate the sentiment; just par for the course.

It happens in sports. But in a situation like this where we're out of pitchers, we've missed on a few opportunities and then have the umps tossing our players after they blow an obvious call, it makes things a little tough to take. :o:o

JohnnyGopher
05-31-2009, 07:25 PM
the one that lsu guy linked earlier.

I can't imagine what would happen to these umps had LSU been hitting and MN right fielder did that. these guys would of needed security to help them. LSU is pretty famous for getting alot of homecooking but I think that was just an incompetant umpires making a really bad call that basically eliminating any chance MN had of making this a game.

i saw one LSU fan laughing at my post about being satisfied that we had only given up 7 runs in the first four innings. I don't know if LsU fans understand just who they have faced so far this game. Bechstein and Ryan are basically our two worse pitchers and are mop up type guys who have really struggled this year. So when you consider who we have pitched, it's not too bad.

ColNathanJessup
05-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Actually, the RF'er didn't even try to sell it. If he was he would have thrown the ball to first after the "catch." He non-chanlantly threw it back to the 2nd baseman. He didn't even think they could blow that call. That was too bad. I highly doubt it makes any difference in the outcome but at least could have given the fans a little excitment with a mini rally maybe.

lsu1
05-31-2009, 07:31 PM
all on that board agree that it was a blown call. How do yall think you will do this year in football?

lsubaseballfan
05-31-2009, 07:32 PM
I'm not really sure how that makes us all asses, but I definitely understand your frustration. We had a similar situation in our regional last year where the blatant missed call could have easily cost us the game. Paul Mainieri was hooping and hollering like a child and I'm surprised he wasn't dismissed from the game. Your coaches and players kept their composure pretty well, all things considered. But what can you do.....

BTW Mitchell really didn't try to play it off like he caught it. He didn't hold his glove up or anything. He was just as surprised as anyone that it was called a catch. It's not like you can expect him to admit he missed it.....this isn't girls softball.

Lithium
05-31-2009, 07:33 PM
It was a blown call and the LSU board is Tigerdroppings.com

lsu1
05-31-2009, 07:36 PM
every board has its morons lol. What was the reasoning pitching Bechstein? I was wondering about that.

JohnnyGopher
05-31-2009, 07:37 PM
it wasn't in relation to the call, i think anybody with a brain understands how bad it was, it was reading the other 20+ pages of the thread. Just some stupid cheap shots and a general attitude that we didn't belong on the same field. Not a big deal.

We have been wondering the same thing on bechstein, I think he would of been the last guy any of us thought would be the guy to start tonight, especially when we have much better arms who have barely seen the field, a very, very curious decision and one I don't think I will ever understand.

IAM4LSU
05-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Wow... 2 whole pages of posts on the game. You guys rock.

Great season, though!

LSU's fan site, tigerdroppings.com. 34 pages. Meh.. it's warm down here, so if we're not at the game, we're inside watching it or on the computer talking about it.

That's just how we roll.

:cool02:

lsubaseballfan
05-31-2009, 07:39 PM
i saw one LSU fan laughing at my post about being satisfied that we had only given up 7 runs in the first four innings. I don't know if LsU fans understand just who they have faced so far this game. Bechstein and Ryan are basically our two worse pitchers and are mop up type guys who have really struggled this year. So when you consider who we have pitched, it's not too bad.

Giving up 7 runs in 4 innings is on par to give up 15 or so in a game which is pretty terrible no matter who is pitching. To make fun of someone for being proud of that stat may be insensitive, but hardly unexpected.

When your player hit the home run, he got a nice applause.
When your pitcher was taken out.....applause.
When your second baseman made a nice play.....applause.

I really don't know what more you can expect.

LA GOPHER
05-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Y'all definitely go a raw deal on that non-catch in right field. Which also led to 2 people getting thrown out. That sucks and wish it had not have happened.

I went to the Friday night game between Minn/Baylor, and was pretty disappointed with Minn.'s play. They looked very tentative that night and looked horrible at the plate. However, they came back and played some pretty impressive games in the next 2. In my opinion, McCallum has been the MVP of the regional. That guys been awesome both at the plate and in the field.

gopherguy05
05-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh great...a whole new flood of tools....
I'd almost rather have the annoying sconnie whiners then these jerk offs...

gophersfan
05-31-2009, 07:42 PM
bottom of the 9th. season end with 3 outs.

lsu1
05-31-2009, 07:43 PM
What can you expect? one of your guys calls out our entire fanbase. Did you expect no replys?

gophersfan
05-31-2009, 07:48 PM
a 2 run homer for Minnesota. 10-3

lsu1
05-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Nice HR. Good game. Good luck to you in football season.

gophersfan
05-31-2009, 07:49 PM
that it. Minnesota season end. LSU win 10-3.

lsubaseballfan
05-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks to all your fans for being classy in Baton Rouge. Congrats on a good season as well.

Lithium
05-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Congrats on a great season

lsubaseballfan
05-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Mitchell just shook hands with the Gopher whose ball he "caught." They had a good laugh.

JohnnyGopher
05-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Yeh, I really called out your entire fanbase, give me a break, what a joke. And you guys are doing a great job of proving me wrong. Stay classy Baton Rouge. Good luck in the next round.

MRJ
05-31-2009, 07:56 PM
I actually don't find the LSU folks visiting too offensive, with the possible exception of the one veiled rip on us for only having TWO pages for a game thread. :rolleyes:

Other than that, I've heard that LSU folks tend to be more polite to visitors from the north than in some other places. And based on what I've seen here, nobody has been openly rude or disrespectful.

Anyhow, it was a good overall season. The blown call sucked and starting Bechstein was a real head-scratcher considering he's probably no. 5 or no. 6 in the rotation. But, what do you do? LSU was the better team and it showed.

lsubaseballfan
05-31-2009, 07:58 PM
JohnnyGopher

Finally went to the LSU board to see what they had to say about the catch and just as I thought, the baseball Tiger fans are as big of asses as the LSU Football fans.
;)

MRJ
05-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Mitchell just shook hands with the Gopher whose ball he "caught." They had a good laugh.

That was Derek McCallum, our All-American candidate. He's one heckuva of a good ball-player, which he showed this weekend. Good luck next week in the Super-Regionals.

lsubaseballfan
05-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Any team would be happy to have him on the roster. Props to him for a great regional. Batting over .400 with solid defensive play is almost unreal.

MrGopher
05-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Wow... 2 whole pages of posts on the game. You guys rock.

Great season, though!

LSU's fan site, tigerdroppings.com. 34 pages. Meh.. it's warm down here, so if we're not at the game, we're inside watching it or on the computer talking about it.

That's just how we roll.

People make me laugh. LSU earned it. No need to make fun!!

You have a great baseball following, congrats!! 34 pages!! :rolleyes:

MRJ
One of the things that got folks hot under the collar around here was that he wasn't named Big Ten Player of the Year. Instead, that went to Ohio State's catcher, which caused quite a bit of discussion around the conference media members since McCallum posted much better numbers all the way around.

But yeah, he's turned in a great player for us. He's only a junior, but most folks seem to think that he'll get drafted high enough that he'll bolt for pro ball. Kind of sucks for us, but, that's the price you pay for having good players I guess...;):p

JohnnyGopher
and I've seen nothing on that board or this one since to prove that wrong. If I had any interest in "calling out a fanbase" I would of bothered to post it on your board, instead i wrote it here. This has already begun to get stupid and I've been on the rivals board and seen how SEC fans bicker constantly and I apologize to fellow gopher fans for bringing this here. i take it back, LSU fans are the greatest, there, now you guys can move on.

lsubaseballfan
05-31-2009, 08:12 PM
and I've seen nothing on that board or this one since to prove that wrong. If I had any interest in "calling out a fanbase" I would of bothered to post it on your board, instead i wrote it here. This has already begun to get stupid and I've been on the rivals board and seen how SEC fans bicker constantly and I apologize to fellow gopher fans for bringing this here. i take it back, LSU fans are the greatest, there, now you guys can move on.

MrGopher
05-31-2009, 08:14 PM
But yeah, he's turned in a great player for us. He's only a junior, but most folks seem to think that he'll get drafted high enough that he'll bolt for pro ball. Kind of sucks for us, but, that's the price you pay for having good players I guess...;):p

We have the same problem with our hockey players.

That's the sport played on ice, you know.....ice....? And with a flat rubber thing called a puck....? It's kind of a big deal around here...

;););)

Seriously, though, good luck to you guys the rest of the way this year! :)

MRJ
05-31-2009, 08:39 PM

That's the sport played on ice, you know.....ice....? And with a flat rubber thing called a puck....? It's kind of a big deal around here...

;););)

I'm a Gopher fan. Maybe a case of mistaken identity??:confused:

MrGopher
05-31-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm a Gopher fan. Maybe a case of mistaken identity??:confused:

Nope. :) It was meant for our LSU friends.

MRJ
05-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Nope. :) It was meant for our LSU friends.

Okay, just checking!!!!:p:p:p

lake conference
06-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't see who you wanted to start this game other than Bechstein...The only other option was Oakes and he has proved to be better out of the pen over the years

Obviously Handran, Rosin, and Buske had been used

Matyas and Rasmussen had pitched several times in the regional already

Ryan and Sexton are both short relievers that really only have one good pitch and couldn't get through the order more than once (and their pitch counts couldn't have been very high)

Fern had thrown about 40 pitches the day before against Southern

Lubinsky threw in the Baylor game earlier that day and warmed up for several innings so I'm sure his arm was done for the day.

Issakson and Klabunde did not make the 25 man roster for the trip

I believe thats everyone

Jike Spingleton
06-09-2009, 06:34 AM

;););)

I've tried explaining that to the LSU folks around here...college baseball and college hockey are the same thing: niche sports with very devoted, passionate fan bases where the sport matters. They don't realize that Louisiana is one of the very, very few places in the country where college baseball is even a blip on the radar. Even in places where successful college baseball teams exist - Florida, California - nobody pays any attention to the teams. Basically, it's the deep south and Omaha where college baseball matters. College hockey is the same thing - I doubt the sport ever catches on nationwide, but it's great to those who follow it.

LA GOPHER
06-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I've tried explaining that to the LSU folks around here...college baseball and college hockey are the same thing: niche sports with very devoted, passionate fan bases where the sport matters. They don't realize that Louisiana is one of the very, very few places in the country where college baseball is even a blip on the radar.

Huh? In my experience, LSU folks are very well aware of this fact. They just don't like it and wish that it was more popular. Of course, if LSU's team wasn't very good LSU fans wouldn't care about it either.

In fact, it's pretty common knowledge (around here) that we're one of only a handful of programs that can actually support itself financially.

Lincoln gopher
06-09-2009, 02:42 PM
In 2005, Nebraska's last trip to the CWS, they came very close to breaking even for the season. I believe that year only 10 NCAA baseball programs supported themselves or made money. Nebraska averaged 6000+ that season including regionals and super regionals that averaged nearly 9000 a game. So you are right LA Gopher, LSU is one of a handful that can say that.

Jike Spingleton
06-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Huh? In my experience, LSU folks are very well aware of this fact. They just don't like it and wish that it was more popular. Of course, if LSU's team wasn't very good LSU fans wouldn't care about it either.

In fact, it's pretty common knowledge (around here) that we're one of only a handful of programs that can actually support itself financially.

I wish more of my co-workers were as aware as the LSU fans you know. Hell, I was watching an LSU basketball game late in the season, and the stat popped up that said LSU was the first school to reach double digits in SEC championships in the three major sports: football, men's basketball, and baseball. And I immediately thought to myself, "College baseball is a major sport?!?!" That's like Minnesota taking credit for wrestling being a major sport.