Opening Weekend: Gophers playing in the most significant game

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Pretty cool the Gophers are playing one of the few significant games on Opening Weekend. (1) Gophers vs. Louisville and (2) Georgia @ Georgia Tech are the only games (Friday-Sunday) pitting Power 6 vs. Power 6.

The only other Big Ten squad getting tested figures to be newbie Rutgers, who opens its season Sunday at the RAC vs. George Washington (6 p.m./BTN). For every other Big Ten squad it should be cupcake city.

Gary Parrish's best 25 non-league games, pre-January
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...est-non-league-games-scheduled-before-january

Power 6

Which conference is amongst the Power 6 along with Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, ACC & SEC?

I read recently that the Associated Press has now designated the Big East a mid-major, which means they will not send a reporter unless one of the teams is ranked.

Which conference is amongst the Power 6 along with Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, ACC & SEC?

I read recently that the Associated Press has now designated the Big East a mid-major, which means they will not send a reporter unless one of the teams is ranked.

For now am still counting the Big East as Power 6. Would like to see another year or two of data before I demote and/or replace them. According to Jerry Palm, Big East finished #4 in Conference RPI last season. ....

1. Big XII
2. Big Ten
3. Pac 12
4. Big East
5. ACC
6. A-10

SEC was #7 and the new AAC was #8.

Coach P's biggest asset is his abilility to put us on a big stage, which brings big recruits.

A win on Friday could really be huge for recruiting. Can't wait until Friday.

"going to be a lot of fun"

Some quotes from Richard about the game: " If you are not here, you don't realize how good it is (Minnesota) and I think all Minnesotan's can say that because the people that live here love it and they know how great it is. Same with this basketball job.
To me, you can't tell me one reason why we can't be really, really successful here. We've got sooo many things going for us.
So, the next step is national branding and you gotta play games like this. For this whole week the country is going to be talking
about this game and playing my dad has shed light on that a little bit...good for our program. Now, we do have to perform on Friday. But, I thought it was great for us to do this."

"My biggest concern is that the floor gets slippery. It's in an airplane hanger in Puerto Rico. It's probably going to 85 degrees outside. There is no air conditioning."

With conviction, attitude, emphasis and a raised voice: "We fully expect to win the game! We play in the Big Ten!
We play against great teams"

Montrez Harrell: "Lottery pick, 1st team All American...can't simulate him...don't have a guy like him and nobody else in the country does either...was thinking of having Maxx Williams come over and practice with us because he's so big. ...Team effort to stop him, can't be one guy. No scouting can stop him from jumping over you and dunking. He tries to dunk everything!

"4 guys last go around. They need to make it count."

Yes, how great is this that there is one game that is THE big story and media circus for kicking off the season and Minnesota is one of the teams. And our coach and team will be featured as up-and-coming regardless of outcome. I have anticipated this season like no other!

One nice thing is the Gophers have no chance of getting blown out. If Ville gets a big lead Papa Rick won't embarrass his son's team. ... Rick wants to see the Gophers in the NCAA tourney, too. At the very worst I'm thinking a 12-13 point loss.

One nice thing is the Gophers have no chance of getting blown out. If Ville gets a big lead Papa Rick won't embarrass his son's team. ... Rick wants to see the Gophers in the NCAA tourney, too. At the very worst I'm thinking a 12-13 point loss.

Granted there weren't the NCAA implications you mention, but Rick beat Richard's FIU team 85-56. I don't think he will be holding anything back this time. Nor do I think Richard would want him too. Will certainly be interesting though if UL gets a big lead how Rick will respond.

Granted there weren't the NCAA implications you mention, but Rick beat Richard's FIU team 85-56. I don't think he will be holding anything back this time. Nor do I think Richard would want him too. Will certainly be interesting though if UL gets a big lead how Rick will respond.

Sure hope the Gophers are more well equipped to hang with Louisville than FIU was a couple years ago!

I don't think Louisville will blow out the Gophers, but if the Cardinals do build a substantial lead I'm very confident the elder Pitino will "call off the dogs", so to speak. Not expecting it to come to that, however. Gophers have a shot at this.

Top Bottom