Fun Read: Gregg Doyel: Gene Keady's killer combover gone but not forgotten

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Doyel, who is now at the Indy Star:

This story is about Gene Keady's combover.

Hey, why dance around it? It may be a terrible idea for a column, but it was a terrible idea for a hairdo. You think you know how terrible his combover was? You don't know the half of it. By the time you're finished with this story, you'll know just how much it cost the legendary Purdue basketball coach to maintain the combover until he got rid of it last year. You'll know the absurd lengths he went to keep it.

And you'll know that the combover could have killed him.

And know this. When he returned my phone message, these were the first words out of Keady's mouth:

"I don't mind you writing about my hair."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ler-combover-gone-but-not-forgotten/18805373/

Go Gophers!!

I was at Keady's last game in Madison, and he had a pretty bad team that year. Bo and the UW staff gave him a set of woods and a certificate for a round of golf at Whistling Straits before the game, and then UW beat Purdue pretty soundly. I don't remember the game ever really being in doubt, to the point where the students being chanting "comb it over" at Gene in the second half. It was rather funny, ever moreso because it looked like Gene was fighting back laughter.

I remember chanting "spin your hair" in 1996-97. That guy was always so grumpy looking.

EDIT: As a variant of the popular "spin your head" request to Goldy if not obvious.

Big Ten has quite a few great coaches now, but not the larger-than-life characters we used to have:

Bob Knight (hated in every arena but his own, The Barn was never more alive than when Knight was in town)

Bill Frieder (the towel over the shoulder & the just-got-out-of-bed look)

Jud Heathcote ("the Jud thud")

Clem Haskins (the jacket toss and the "road wins" @ Target Center)

Gene Keady (see above, + that bulldog-looking scowl)

Izzo, Miles, and Bo are the three today I'd say most resemble, "He's a character" status.

Big Ten has quite a few great coaches now, but not the larger-than-life characters we used to have:

Bob Knight (hated in every arena but his own, The Barn was never more alive than when Knight was in town)

Izzo, Miles, and Bo are the three today I'd say most resemble, "He's a character" status.

I would add Tom Davis and Lou Henson to that list too. Really was the high water mark for Big Ten coaches. We do have a pretty nice group now though.

I would add Tom Davis and Lou Henson to that list too. Really was the high water mark for Big Ten coaches. We do have a pretty nice group now though.

Good list guys.

Those Indiana games(with Bobby Knight) at the Barn we incredible. As soon as Knight put the first foot on the floor the boo's were deafening.

Then the game we defeated him by 50.......he just sat there. Great stuff.

Big Ten version of the AWA. Always someone to hate.

I used to be on the stats crew stationed right next to the visitor's bench, and one of my favorite coaches to watch up close was Kevin O'Neill during his stint at Northwestern. O'Neill swore like a sailor (every other word out of his mouth was an F-bomb), spit flying out of his mouth with every expletive, which was made more amusing because he had a Jesuit priest sitting at the end of his bench, vigorously working his rosary trying to save old Kevin's soul.

The old guys, Izzo and Bo being the holdovers, were kind of grumpy and frumpy. Most definitely part of the show. I agree with SS that Miles, with his armpit sweats, is the one from the new crop most likely to get the home crowds going. (Crean makes himself noticeable, but just for being a jerk. He's not that interesting and he's not going to get a ref to flip a call.) The B1G has great coaches but Izzo, Bo and Miles are the only visiting coaches who make me want to watch what they are up to.

We sit in the corner above the visitor's bench and Matta is pretty entertaining in a Bo-like way. Actually Izzo acts a lot like him also on the floor. Those 3 are always whining for a call and use similar expressions, actions, and movements. Just don't dislike Izzo like Bo because he comes across better in interviews and because he's not from Wisconsin. Our own Richard is also fun and very entertaining. Great potential to become a villain elsewhere.

Heathcote was my absolute favorite though. Never saw a man look more miserable doing something he probably loved.

Bruce Webber always had that look on his face like he was constipated. Perhaps he was.

I remember the story arc from Dilbert a number of years ago where Wally was creating a combover with his ear hair.

My favorite Gene Keady memory was when Purdue was in the NCAA Tournament, actually having a nice run to the Sweet Sixteen. It might have been 1999. Can't remember which NCAA game it was, but Carson Cunningham launched a long-ass 3-point attempt from far away and missed badly. Right after, there was a timeout, and Gene yelled out, "Carson, get over here!!" and beckoned him with his finger. I thought he was going to get an ass chewing, especially considering the look on Keady's face. So when Cunningham gets up to the coach, Keady just said, "Bad shot" and gave him a huge smile. I remember that vividly to this day.

Top Bottom