2009 Recruiting Class Moved Down 12 in ESPN Rankings

underground629

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that we dropped 12 stops with the newest ESPN rankings for 2009 classes? I really don't care but I was wondering what other people think about that. Rodney's and Royce's original ranks going down probably had something to do with it, and probably just other teams adding players pretty late in the recruiting process. What do you guys think?

Kansas

I know were ahead of Kansas and that they got a commit from the number 3 player in the country, so they probably moved ahead of us.

I don't considering none of the recruiting websites take Bryant Allen into consideration. He's a 3-star on rivals and like the 35th best PG according to ESPN.

How much of a factor can Allen be in the basketball program when he plays football? If we do not have a bowl team he gets to start practicing in late November and if we are so fortunate as to go to a bowl, it's January. Most football-basketball dual players have been interesting to watch but soft 8-9 players on the team.

Anyone else notice that we dropped 12 stops with the newest ESPN rankings for 2009 classes? I really don't care but I was wondering what other people think about that. Rodney's and Royce's original ranks going down probably had something to do with it, and probably just other teams adding players pretty late in the recruiting process. What do you guys think?

Royce and Rodney's ESPN rankings are pretty close to what they were ranked last fall by ESPN.

If the class moved down 50 spots would you like the players any less?

How the class is rated is beyond meaningless.

How many games they win and how long they are in school are the only two things that matter.

If the class moved down 50 spots would you like the players any less?

How the class is rated is beyond meaningless.

How many games they win and how long they are in school are the only two things that matter.

That is why I stated that I didn't care about the ranking at this point and that I was just curious to hear others' opinions. Obviously the rankings are not perfect, but I'm interested to know what all changed for that to happen.

I guess I don't recall where exactly Royce and Rodney were previously ranked, but I know for sure that Rodney dropped quite a bit on Rivals and that people on forums started speaking less highly of his playing.

That is why I stated that I didn't care about the ranking at this point and that I was just curious to hear others' opinions. Obviously the rankings are not perfect, but I'm interested to know what all changed for that to happen.

I guess I don't recall where exactly Royce and Rodney were previously ranked, but I know for sure that Rodney dropped quite a bit on Rivals and that people on forums started speaking less highly of his playing.

Link www.rscihoops.com has the previous rankings.

Ignore Rivals. Rodney Williams stayed at or near his previous rankings by others.

The downfall of ESPN rankings is that at times they will have only seen a player play one game and base their ranking solely off of that. What happens if that player has a bad game or the best game of their career? I remember ESPN saying that Rodney Williamms is a "sharpshooter from deep" and there's been a few other questionable reviews. Jerry Meyer of Rivals has great credentials and is constantly at tournaments evaluating talent and IMO what he says always seems to make sense. I don't know much about Scout.

The downfall of ESPN rankings is that at times they will have only seen a player play one game and base their ranking solely off of that. What happens if that player has a bad game or the best game of their career? I remember ESPN saying that Rodney Williamms is a "sharpshooter from deep" and there's been a few other questionable reviews. Jerry Meyer of Rivals has great credentials and is constantly at tournaments evaluating talent and IMO what he says always seems to make sense. I don't know much about Scout.

Rivals is THE worst of all. Jerry Meyer is terrible. ESPN has Bob Gibbons and several others who scout players numerous times, not just once.

Rivals is THE worst of all. Jerry Meyer is terrible. ESPN has Bob Gibbons and several others who scout players numerous times, not just once.

Why is Jerry Meyer terrible? I'm not saying that they always just watch players once, but with a select few recruits they really don't see them that much. I don't want this to come off like I'm hating on Rodney because I think I'm a lot higher on him than most people on this board...but would you describe him as a deadly three point marksman as they say in one of his evaluations? And the fact that they only had John Wall at number 5 overall is laughable.

Williams has dropped quite dramatically in some ranking services. He had a HUGE deviation in his rankings. According to rscihoops.com, deviation is "The standard deviation for the player's rankings. Larger numbers indicate greater diversity of opinion while smaller ones indicate a tighter consensus."

His deviation is 24. That's the highest of any player in the top 50!!!!!!!!!!!! Take a look here: http://www.rscihoops.com/

Williams has dropped quite dramatically in some ranking services. He had a HUGE deviation in his rankings. According to rscihoops.com, deviation is "The standard deviation for the player's rankings. Larger numbers indicate greater diversity of opinion while smaller ones indicate a tighter consensus."

His deviation is 24. That's the highest of any player in the top 50!!!!!!!!!!!! Take a look here: http://www.rscihoops.com/

Those RSCI ratings are the same as last summer. He has 6 sources who rank him between 25 and 50 and 1 idiot (Meyer of Rivals) who rates him #95.

Why is Jerry Meyer terrible? I'm not saying that they always just watch players once, but with a select few recruits they really don't see them that much. I don't want this to come off like I'm hating on Rodney because I think I'm a lot higher on him than most people on this board...but would you describe him as a deadly three point marksman as they say in one of his evaluations? And the fact that they only had John Wall at number 5 overall is laughable.

Meyer is terrible because he's lazy. He doesn't see all of the recruits.

Wall is among the Top 5 recruits. Some have him #1 or #2 but not all.

Alex Kirk is a good example of Meyer's laziness. In his review of the Pangos A-A camp, Meyer touts Kirk's play and lists his offers. Anyone who reads GopherHole KNOWS that Minnesota has offered, yet Meyer does not include the Gophers on his list.

Just one example. Meyer is terrible, the worst of the major recruiting analysts. Worse than Clark Francis even.

IMO the deviation in the rankings for Williams is because he is such a great athlete but has less polish than other highly rated prospects. The rankings are based on potential and two reasonable people can come to different conclusions about how the same player will develop. The upside of Rodney is probably at least as high as Royce if not higher. However, Royce is a safer prospect because with his polish you know what you are getting right now and that he will be successful from day one. If Rodney can develop a better outside shot and improve his ball handling he can be an elite college basketball player whereas all Royce needs to do is what he already has been doing in HS and AAU.

The reason for the deviation is because of one statistical outlier (Meyer at #95). Every other ranking has him somewhere between top 30-50. The deviation shows how much on outlier in a group of stats can affect such things.

The reason for the deviation is because of one statistical outlier (Meyer at #95). Every other ranking has him somewhere between top 30-50. The deviation shows how much on outlier in a group of stats can affect such things.

Exactly

Alex Kirk is a good example of Meyer's laziness. In his review of the Pangos A-A camp, Meyer touts Kirk's play and lists his offers. Anyone who reads GopherHole KNOWS that Minnesota has offered, yet Meyer does not include the Gophers on his list.

Just one example. Meyer is terrible, the worst of the major recruiting analysts. Worse than Clark Francis even.

Did he overrate Royce White? Nobody else even has him in their top 25.

Did he overrate Royce White? Nobody else even has him in their top 25.

Possibly, although Royce's rankings have been pretty consistent in being somewhere between the 25-40 range, so his analysis of Royce as compared to Williams isn't as drastically different from others.

Yes, a little bit. White is Top 25 to 30 or 40 range by most others.

I thought White was a consensus top-20 or so player before the season. I know he was top-20 on rivals, and I'm almost positive ESPN had him in the same range.

My guess is that less-informed evaluators moved him down because of his unimpressive sr year stats at Hopkins... when, as we all know, his minutes weren't high b/c of the many blowouts, he focused a lot on passing and shared the ball on a team of stars, but usually looked the part of a player who would dominate when needed. He looked like he fit right in at the Jordan all-star game. (Didn't get invite to the McD all-star game because a few of the insider coaches always get some of their borderline recruits in).

Regardless of what the final "rankings" say, I still view this as a top-10 quality class.

RSCI

Go to www.rscihoops.com for Post-Summer and Pre-Summer ratings of White and others.

Rivals had him #19 but others had him rated lower. Average #39 in pre-summer.

Then #24 post-summer.

Top Bottom