Jayhawk fan comes in peace!

KU4LIFE

Reaction score
Just wanted to say I look forward to our match up in this years Insight Bowl. I'll admit I don't know as much about the Gophers that I should, but have caught you guys/gals on the tube a couple times this year. I like the BIG XII/BIG 10 match up.

If there's anyone willing to give me a reasonable rundown on what the Jayhawks should expect from the Gopher's I would really appreciate it. I know we will have plenty of time to chat before Dec. 31st, but it never hurts to get to know your opponent better early.

If you have any specific questions about my Jayhawks, don't be afraid to ask. Btw, how's Broderick Smith doing this season? I'm good friends with one of his uncles, but hadn't asked whether he was playing much or not.

i think it will come down to two keys for the gophers. turnover margin and o-line performance. when our turnover margin is positive we do well, and when the o-line gives weber time to pass then the offense can give the defense time to recoop on the sidelines.

what is the kansas pass-rush like?

Smith played in 11 games, but only had 5 catches. He did have a 40+ yard TD catch in the Wisconsin game.

Pass rush? What pass rush? KU has struggled getting a pash rush going for much of the season but towards the end of the season the Jayahwks have improved in this area with the play of some younger players.

Russell Brorsen and John Larson were the incumbent LE/RE for KU. Both are decent against the run, but neither are quick enough or strong enough to manage a meaningful rush. The emergence of So. Jake Laptad and Jr. Maxwell Onyegbule along with OLB, Sr. Justin Holt, has given KU more of a threat in this area.

KU can get pressure with it's DT's. Caleb Blakesley, Richard Johnson, Jr., Darius Parish, and Jamal Greene are all good run stoppers and can provide adequate pressure on passing downs. Where KU will generate most of it's pass rush will come from Holt and Laptad.

As for your question about turnover margin? KU doesn't turn the ball over all that much. Reesing is about as heady of a QB as you will find. He skirts the danger line quite a bit, but he's a real talent and seems to make big plays out of nothing. The RB's don't put the ball on the ground much, especially when Jake Sharp is in the game.

Good to see Smith get some touches as a true freshman. I think he has the potential to be a real difference maker for the Gophers. He was a treat to watch in high school.

Just wanted to say I look forward to our match up in this years Insight Bowl. I'll admit I don't know as much about the Gophers that I should, but have caught you guys/gals on the tube a couple times this year. I like the BIG XII/BIG 10 match up.

If there's anyone willing to give me a reasonable rundown on what the Jayhawks should expect from the Gopher's I would really appreciate it. I know we will have plenty of time to chat before Dec. 31st, but it never hurts to get to know your opponent better early.

If you have any specific questions about my Jayhawks, don't be afraid to ask. Btw, how's Broderick Smith doing this season? I'm good friends with one of his uncles, but hadn't asked whether he was playing much or not.

I would say that the identity of the Minnesota football team is a group that hits hard and causes turnovers. I'm not sure what the final stats say but all season the Gophers were in the top 3 in turnovers forced and in the top 5 in turnover margin. However, the turnover margin started to decline in the last 4 games of the season which ended up 0-4 for the Gophers.

Overall the team is very young. We only start 2-3 seniors on defense, and 1 on offense. At times the offense has started as many as 8 freshman or sophomores.

On offense we run a spread offense that is a hybrid with West Coast philosophy. Our line has been the weakest part of the team. The Gophers ranked last in the Big Ten in rushing and in sacks allowed. After our loss to Iowa the O-line coach resigned and we hired a coach from Alabama (formerly o-line coach at Miami Dolphins & USC) to take over and provide a different attitude to the line before the Bowl game. Our QB is a sophomore with an adequate arm, decent accuracy, sneaky athleticism in the running game and he is a flat out competitor; the coaches voted him 2nd Team All Big Ten. Our 2 deep at RB are both freshman and both are great receivers. Eskridge is a smaller quick RB that will hit a hole and make a move and Salamon is a bigger RB that is a slasher and hits a hole more quickly than Eskridge but will take a hit rather than making a move. First Team All Big Ten WR Eric Decker is the best player on the offense and when he sprained his ankle against NU it killed our offense in the last 3.5 games. Aside from him freshman Brandon Green is the biggest threat to make a play in the passing game. Sr. TE Jack Simmons, Jr. WR Kuznia (possession receiver), Jr. TE Tow-Arnett, Fr Smith (he hasn't gotten a ton of playing time but he is a big target that looks good) are the other guys that could make an impact in order of likelihood. We also have a freshman kick returner named Stoudemire that has yet to take one to the house but he has been one man away about 10 times this season. Stoudemire will appear at WR for a few plays in the offense because he is a playmaker. The offense lacks a whole lot of big play threats so when things are working it is typically 6-7 first downs for a TD.

Defensively: Sr DE Willie Van De Steeg is our only First Team All Big Ten Selection and Jr. CB Traye Simmons was 2nd Team. The D-line is stout and Van De Steeg is a great pass rusher. At times Van De Steeg has taken games over for a half and we're hoping he does it in the bowl. The LB crew is good but not great. MLB Campbell is more of a run stopper than anything else but he can make plays in the passing game and he has a few interceptions. WLB Simoni Lawrence is a converted safety so he runs well, covers well, and he is a threat to rush the passer which sometimes frees up Van De Steeg. SLB Hightower is a good hitter with adequate speed. The DB's play bend but don't break coverage. All of them can make a play on the football and the CB's (Sherels & Simmons) have made the most plays when a ball is thrown off the mark. Like I said, the identity is in forcing turnovers so that has been the key to winning for the Gophers.

What I know of Kansas is that it is good passing team and weak running team. Given some of the offenses in the Big 12 it is hard to judge the defensive statistics. I'd love to hear more input.

I saw KU against Mizzou last week. You guys played with a lot of heart. My brother was at that game and said it was absolutely incredible. I also know a few folks who attend KU, so I look forward to our matchup. If nothing else, I hope it's a good game. Mangino has proven to be a pretty darn good coach, so I'd like to see how Brew measures up to him.

KU4LIFE, are you at all related to Gopher4Life? ;) You can find him holding court on our "off-topic board."

I have always thought of the football programs at Kansas and Minnesota as closely related. Partly because of the Mason connection, of course, but also because the two programs wandered aimlessly for years in college football Timbuktu. You guys had your breakout season last year, but we haven't quite gotten there yet, despite some near misses. Anyway, I would look to this game, if it comes to fruition.

Our defense is miles ahead of where it was last year, but I fear that if you pass from beginning to end your quarterback will eventually carve us into pieces. Meanwhile, our offense has shut down. I pray that with six weeks of introspection between games and a new position coach our offensive line will show up and help keep this interesting into the second half.

Alright I'll do the best I can with my take on what you need to watch out for with the Jayhawks.

Offensively, the Jayhawks tend to throw the ball more than run. In years past KU has had some really reliable RB's that would go for over 1,000+ in Jon Cornish and Brandon McAnderson. This year KU has ran out there three different backs in Jake Sharp, Jacque Crawford, and Angus Quigley. Sharp will be the starting back and will give the Jayhawks the most dynamic weapon in the backfield. Sharp isn't a big guy, but he's got good speed and he's definitely one of those warrior type kids that leave it all out there on the field. Crawford was the National Juco POY last year and was counted on to be the primary back, but it's taken some adjustment for him at the BCS level. He's probably the most explosive RB KU has in its arsenal. Lastly, Angus Quigley is the most powerful. He has Brandon McAnderson type power, but with a lot more speed. Only downfall with Quigley is that he's not the strongest blocker and he tends to put the ball on the ground at times, but don't for a second come up timid when tackling him or you can fully expect the defender to be laid out flat on the ground with a major headache. Non of these guys are going to give you a consistent 100-yard game, but they do just enough to keep the other team off balance.

Wide receiver and Quarterback are the name of the game for the Jayhawks. KU has three legitimate stars in QB Todd Reesing (302-460 for a 65.7%, 3,575-yards passing, and 32 TD's to 12-INT's for a QB rating of 145.8), WR Dezmon Briscoe (78 receptions, 1,206-yards, and 12 TD's), and WR Kerry Meier (87 receptions, 932-yards, and 7 TD's).

KU has two other receivers that catch a ton of balls in Jonathan Wilson (41-receptions, 556-yards, and 2 TD's) and Dexton Fields (19-receptions, 209-yards, and 3-TD's). Jake Sharp also is a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield (25-receptions, 283-yards, and 1 TD). KU doesn't go to it's TE as much as years past, but Meier is an oversize wideout and gives KU the possession receiver you see with most TE's. Meier is also the backup QB and doesn't practice at WR during the week yet is one of the best WR's in the country.

The offensive line is young and inexperienced outside of C Ryan Cantrell and Adrien Mayes. The two Tackles are manned by freshman Jeremiah Hatch and Jeff Spikes. Both have really progressed as the season has gone on and really gave Missouri a lot of trouble in their pass rush. The interior of the line is more experienced with Cantrell, Mayes, and Chet Hartley. Cantrell is super smart, Mayes is more of a big bruiser, and Hartley is kind of a cross between both. KU has some depth at OL, but not a ton of experience up until this year. Don't be surprised to see Sal Capra and Ben Lueken get plenty of field time as well. Not a dominating OL, but they do a good job of giving Todd Reesing just enough time to do his magic and allow the running game to keep other team honest.

Defensively, KU has a good blend of experience and youth. Too much of the Jayhawk nations chagrin, the LB's have not lived up to the preseason hype where they were labeled one of the best units in the whole country. Joe Mortensen and Mike Rivera got all the pub going into the season, but it's been Justin Holt whose emerged as the teams leading tackler and best pass rusher. He's nowhere near the size of Mortensen or Rivera, but Holt brings an element of speed to the linebacking core that would otherwise be lacking. Holt's a converted safety that can play both on the outside and down in a 3-pt. stance rushing the passer. The Gophers have got to keep an eye on Holt or he could make life miserable for them.

I've already touched on the defensive line earlier in this thread, but it's important to note they are a tough bunch to run on, but don't expect to be blown away with there ability to rush the passer, especially when Brorsen and Larson are in the game together at DE. KU has done a better job of putting pressure on the QB in the 2nd half of the season, but it's still an area of weakness.

Lastly, the secondary is comprised of a potential AA in Darrell Stuckey at SS, FS Phillip Strozier, CB Justin Thornton, and CB Daymond Patterson. Patterson is only a true freshman and the teams PR, but he's a elite level athlete that was a converted WR earlier in the season. Since moving over to the defensive side of the ball and the emergence of Holt rushing the passer, it's really help improve the Jayhawk secondary. Thornton use to be a safety, but KU likes a big corner on one side of the field, ala Aqib Talib, thus the move. Look for Chris Harris Anthony Davis, Patrick Resby, and Corrigan Powell to see action in the secondary as well. Going against spread offenses in the BIG XII it's always best to have a ton of DB's at your disposal. Lastly, I want to point out the Gophers may see the best safety they have faced all year in Darrell Stuckey. The kid is an incredible tackler, fierce competitor, and does a fine job in pass defense. He was a nightmare for Missouri last week and probably single handily kept Chase Daniel and Mizzou off the scoreboard in the 1st-quarter.

Special teams isn't a strength, but not a weakness either. Kicking game could be better on kick-offs, but KU doesn't kick a ton of FG's as they don't settle for many. The coverage units aren't as good as they were a year ago, but last game KU might have found a true difference maker in kick off return in Dezmon Briscoe. He gave KU wonderful field position all game long vs. Mizzou. Marcus Herford had been the return man and was a All-American last year doing so, but has been a huge disappointment this year. Look for Briscoe and hope the Gopher kickoff unit can tackle well or they could be in a world of hurt.

This is my general breakdown of the Jayhawks. On offense look for a wide-open, no huddle attack led by Reesing and defensively look for a tough-nosed bunch whose getting better and better every week. It's tough to gauge the defense because the BIG XII runs so many excellent spread offenses, but there's plenty of talent on that side of the ball and it's just not all about Reesing and the offense.

First off, KU has a slough of great WRs. If we can get some of these types, Weber will be very good. Dezmon Briscoe is very athletic and makes big plays. I cant think of a WR in teh big ten that really is very similar. When I watch him he reminds me of Plaxico Burress (albeit without a hole in his thigh). They also have former QB Kerry Meier playing WR, think Ben Kuznia meets Ed McCaffery. The kid make a ton of catches per game. They also have Dexton Fields a guy named Patterson and a kid named Wilson that are all currenlty better than anyone of our wideouts, minus Eric Decker. KU4Life, what happened to Patterson, was he hurt? They also have some talent at RB, with Jake Sharp. They also brought in a kid named Crawford that I was pretty high on in my Fantasy College league, but he may have got lost in the shuffle. HE was a very highly regarded JUCO if memory serves me right. I know very little about their D, but inthe big 12 im guessing they prolly only played two teams that were as bad as we were on "O", Colorado and Iowa State. I think we score on them, but our defense better show up. By the way, I have always respected the Jayhawks, they seem like a good group of players and fans from my experiences.
P.S it was fun watching them thump NU last year something like 70-30!

Dezmon Briscoe is the best receiver in the country nobody talks about imho. The talking heads are starting to talk about him more as the season has progressed, but he's a match up nightmare for most secondaries. KU utilizes him and Meier in a variety of packages and it makes the Jayhawks very tough to defend.

Since when did...

Since when did we get invited to this bowl against the Jayhawks? News to me.

Should be made known on Sunday. KU already has accepted the Insight bid and rumor has it Minnesota will be the team KU plays.

That's probably because the WR hype in the BIGXII is all about Crabtree.......

Kansas WR core is very tough to defend. I just pray we'll be able to score, our offense has been non-existent the last 4 games and I just don't think changing one coach will have a noticeable affect this soon.......

Let me warn you mr KU dude

We will kick your butt at the bar. We will steal your women and drink allot of beer....if we are not hypnotized by the bar gals at the library. As far as the game, it should be exciting and well played both sides. Tempe rocks and we are pretty harmless, "Minnesota nice".

I have quite a few friends that are from the Minny/St. Paul area that attended KU. All of them are big drinkers, so I'm not going to deny that! lol

We will kick your butt at the bar. We will steal your women and drink allot of beer....if we are not hypnotized by the bar gals at the library. As far as the game, it should be exciting and well played both sides. Tempe rocks and we are pretty harmless, "Minnesota nice".

I look forward to a return to The Library. Great scenery.

Decker is better than any wide out on KU. KU fan u better wach out for Brandon Green also he will lite u all up.:cool:

I've been a life long Gopher fan that grew up in South Dakota but chose to attend school down at KU since thats where my dad lives. Have quite a few friends that attend the U of M and love it. I've been to numerous games but the one game I can remember the most is the Northwestern game in 2000 when they threw the hail mary to beat the Gophers that was a terrible day. Really looking forward to watching these two teams play since they are my favorite two teams in CFB.

The Gophers have been struggling quite a bit from what I have watched. Since KU was able to get pressure on Chase Daniel we forced them into turnovers and I believe that should continue against the Gophers. From what I've seen and read on the boards so far their O-Line play has been suspect and KU will have to exploit that early. KU's offense is very explosive and look for us to exploit whatever your Defense is lacking in. We will throw the ball all day more than likely. After watching Iowa put up 50+ points on Minnesota and not score a point I have the confidence that KU should win this game. If that is not the case than I'm glad the U of M was the team to beat us. Best of luck to your team and I'm looking forward to this game and watching the Gopher basketball team this year as well.

Rock Chalk

I don't want to break the good relations of the KU/MU message boards but lets call it like is. KU lost by less than 2 touchdowns to OU in Norman, who is in the title game and Minnesota lost to Iowa by 55. This one is going to get out of hand.

I understand the attempt to start a flame war...

but in reality, the two have zero correlation. Did OU play their best that day? nope. Iowa was a quicksand game for the Gophers. Iowa is and or was no way 55 points better then the "U". So this a bad comparison. The only real comparison would be Florida International/ Florida Atlantic or Illinois/Mizzou The "U" beat FAU, KU beat FIU, FAU beat FIU. Both wins were blow outs, and FAU outlasted FIU in a game with no defense. Mizzou beat the Illini, in another game devoid of "D". KU, as you should know, beat Missouri by three and the "U" beat Illinois by seven. This tells us nothing. Only playing the game means anything. I remember a few years ago Alabama fan were all over the boards telling us how we should not even play them, their defense, #2 in the nation, was so great, no player had gained a 100 yards against them, they shut down both of Auburn's "greatest tandem ever" running backs. The result? Barber III, 187 yrds rushing, Maroney, 105. The moral? show me, don't tell me.

but in reality, the two have zero correlation. Did OU play their best that day? nope. Iowa was a quicksand game for the Gophers. Iowa is and or was no way 55 points better then the "U". So this a bad comparison. The only real comparison would be Florida International/ Florida Atlantic or Illinois/Mizzou The "U" beat FAU, KU beat FIU, FAU beat FIU. Both wins were blow outs, and FAU outlasted FIU in a game with no defense. Mizzou beat the Illini, in another game devoid of "D". KU, as you should know, beat Missouri by three and the "U" beat Illinois by seven. This tells us nothing. Only playing the game means anything. I remember a few years ago Alabama fan were all over the boards telling us how we should not even play them, their defense, #2 in the nation, was so great, no player had gained a 100 yards against them, they shut down both of Auburn's "greatest tandem ever" running backs. The result? Barber III, 187 yrds rushing, Maroney, 105. The moral? show me, don't tell me.

Amen. We can argue stats and past performances up and down all we want, but it comes down to who plays better on that particular day.

I remember a few years ago Alabama fan were all over the boards telling us how we should not even play them, their defense, #2 in the nation, was so great, no player had gained a 100 yards against them, they shut down both of Auburn's "greatest tandem ever" running backs. The result? Barber III, 187 yrds rushing, Maroney, 105. The moral? show me, don't tell me.

Ah yes, that is a good Gopher memory. Barber rushed for more yards in the first half of that game than any opponent had rushed against them all season and we were running a tandem of backs.

I think this game will come down to what team can exploit the other teams weaknesses the best. Plain and simple.

I don't want to break the good relations of the KU/MU message boards but lets call it like is. KU lost by less than 2 touchdowns to OU in Norman, who is in the title game and Minnesota lost to Iowa by 55. This one is going to get out of hand.

Riddle me this...

Penn State and USC have two common opponents...Oregon State & Ohio State

Penn State beat Oregon State 45-14; and USC lost to Oregon State 21-27

Penn State beat Ohio 13-6; USC beat Ohio State 35-3

Who is going to win...Cognitive dissonance taking over...tune in Jan. 1 for the Rose Bowl to find out.

And back on Kansas vs. Minnesota, if choosing one game can determine the outcome of other games...we could pick on Kansas for only beating 2-10 ISU by a score of 35-33 or losing to Texas Tech 63-21.

Let's play the game on the field instead of flaming on the boards. Regardless of who put's up a more rationale argument, it doesn't change what happens on the field.

How well does KU travel?

KU travels well but not great. 25,000+ went to the Orange Bowl last year and about 20,000 for the Fort Worth Bowl a few years ago. I expect about 20,000 give or take a couple thousand for this one. I think both fanbases will represent well and enjoy each other. I know a ton of my fellow Jayhawks had a blast with the V.Tech fans last year. I can't imagine it would be different with the U fanbase. Other than college I've lived in Minnesota my entire life so I know that Gophers are great to party with. I'm torn about heading down for this one but one thing tipping the scales toward going is because I know everyone down there will be fun to party with. I must also add that each of these schools has some of the best looking coeds in their conferences.

I respectfully disagree with my Jayhawk brethren on one area: Special teams. Our best tackler on kickoffs is a guy named Jacob Branstetter. He is not a big guy but has made some spectacular tackles, all season long. Oh, yeah, he is our kicker. It's kinda scary when your kicker is making the big hits on a run back.

He doesn't get the ball through the end zone, so your guys will have a chance for a return most of the time.

You can look up his tackles on youtube, there are SEVERAL of them there.

Top Bottom