*UMN vs UMD Official Game Thread*

GameDay

Reaction score
Gophers up 24-9 with 7:50 left in the 1st half.

-Daquien McNeil has looked very impressive so far. Hitting 3-pointers, getting to the rim and finishing well, dishing the ball, etc.

-Bakary is playing solid defense on their good center and not fouling! He's athletic and had a nice bucket recently

-Deandre's preseason struggles still seem to be lingering. I'm not worried though.

-EE has been playing good defense and is rebounding extremely well.

32-14 now. McNeil and Morris have combined for 15.

Squirrel hitting from everywhere now and has pulled down a few nice rebounds as well!

DeAndre has lazily given up two open looks on D and gotten a talking to.

Not a bad half against a team that stuck with Notre Dame. McNeil looks like a man on a mission. Elliott has lots of rebounds, but it's same old Elliott on the block. Morris is quick and has a nice looking stroke.

Thanks, guys...please keep the updates coming if you can!

It's Carlos Morris' world, and we just live in it. Squirrel having a nice all around game. Glad Howie didn't choose this moment to start being right.

For those not keeping track, McNeil is perfect from the field.

-Fans are going to love Squirrel! He has been doing everything right and is scoring pretty much whenever he wants. He's been passing and defending well too.

-Whatever you thought of McNeil's offensive game last year, wipe that clean. He's been extremely impressive of both ends of the ball and is our most confident 3-point shooter tonight.

-Hulk "Josh Martin" is doing everything right! Knows his place, and will see solid minutes.

-Both Dre's are struggling some. I'd like to see them clean things up and execute better going forward in the next game and a quarter in exhibition play.

Elliott has 15 rebounds -- only 1 point

Morris, Day Day, and Martin all looking like they will contribute a lot this year

I know this is just an exhibition game, but...gotta like our backcourt

Hard to say who should start at the 3.

Morris 21 points 3 assists and 3 rebounds -- getting anything he wants

I didn't hear anything about Buggs being injured, but it doesn't look like he has played. Kendal Shell has...

I'll echo the praise for McNeil and Morris.

Team defense needs work. Hard to gauge effort in a blowout exhibition though.

Josh Martin fouls out with 8 point and 7 rebounds (all his points on dunks)

I didn't hear anything about Buggs being injured, but it doesn't look like he has played. Kendal Shell has...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hard to say who should start at the 3.

I really like McNeil this year! That being said, it's pretty obvious based on watching them that Squirrel is going to start. Just so impressive in so many facets of the game, and he had no problem against Iowa State's defense in that little practice extravaganza last weekend.

Last observations....

-Team D got a little lackadaisical towards the end there, but that's normal in an exhibition like this
-Elliot played great D and rebounded even better
-Joey shot the 3 well and was a little more aggressive (and bigger) than last year
-Bakary is still raw. Really not much of an offensive game, but his defense is solid (when he's not fouling)
-Wanted more assertiveness from the Dre's
-Everyone else not mentioned here played well

*Just imagine when one of our best scorers Nate Mason and Mo are added into the mix here soon! Whoa.

Thanks for the updates/recap, GameDay.

-Bakary is still raw. Really not much of an offensive game, but his defense is solid (when he's not fouling)

Disagree. Think he has decent footwork and touch.

Was hard to watch King attempt to pick up Pineda around the three point line, he went around him like he wasn't even there.

EE was grabbing rebounds like he was playing against 6th graders.

I don't think I have ever said anything bad about Hollins and I'm still not, just very apparent he is an average defender.. not so good working the trap at half court.

McNeil and Morris played well... Despite what Howie claimed Lofton was not passing either of them on the depth chart, he would have been a spark plug off the bench if his shot was on, if not he would have went back to the bench quickly.

Martin and Morris stand out on the defensive end (vs. Duluth at least).

Just back from the game. Pretty good showing with Mason and Walker out. Morris- I really like his all around game- excellent passer and ball handler. Also very impressed with McNeil. It's a great sign that our big loss from last year was Austin and yet we looked really strong at that position. Andre and DeAndre have some things to clean up -but this could be a really nice squad-very deep.

The defense was good when they wanted to be but was lackadaisical too often. If I were Pitino I'd have stressed toughness and consistent effort, which he probably did and is probably disappointed. He needs to continue to challenge these guys.

Top Bottom