Andy Katz selfie while currently at the U: "Love this old barn"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I like Andy Katz more now that he has joined us oldtimers and our love of and for THE BARN!!!

Then how come ESPN left it out of their top ten favorite college basketball venues? I have never understood the love for Assembly Hall and they had Iowa's gym in there. Assembly Hall has always looked like it was built for something other than basketball! Like a televangelist studio or something.

Give me the rafters and narrow corridors. Give me the tiny concession stands and ubstructed view seating. Give me the raised floor and the stools pulled out for every timeout. Give me the nostalgia and warmth of the good old aircraft hangar design. I even love the fact they painted the inside of the roof silver to fool the fire inspector into thinking it was steel and not wood! I love the Barn and all its quirks. To me it is a part of Americana at its finest!

Then how come ESPN left it out of their top ten favorite college basketball venues? I have never understood the love for Assembly Hall and they had Iowa's gym in there. Assembly Hall has always looked like it was built for something other than basketball! Like a televangelist studio or something.

Give me the rafters and narrow corridors. Give me the tiny concession stands and ubstructed view seating. Give me the raised floor and the stools pulled out for every timeout. Give me the nostalgia and warmth of the good old aircraft hangar design. I even love the fact they painted the inside of the roof silver to fool the fire inspector into thinking it was steel and not wood! I love the Barn and all its quirks. To me it is a part of Americana at its finest!

And give me THE BARN at its loudest!!!

I'm pretty sure that article was ranking just the top ten court designs. Nothing to do with the arena or anything aside from how the floor is painted.

I'm pretty sure that article was ranking just the top ten court designs. Nothing to do with the arena or anything aside from how the floor is painted.

I think you are right. But that Assembly Hall floor blows. I've always liked the Barn's floor but the Cub sponsorship logos need to go.

Top Bottom