Gophers Thursday opponent, Minn-Duluth, lost to Notre Dame 88-71 on Saturday

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Not a bad showing for the Bulldogs this past weekend. Per the link:

The University of Notre Dame men's basketball team boasted four double-digit scorers and hit more than half of its field goal attempts as the Fighting Irish toppled Minnesota Duluth 88-71 in their exhibition opener on Saturday afternoon inside Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center.

After a back-and-forth first five minutes that saw the Bulldogs take a brief 12-11 lead, the Irish seized the momentum by pushing the tempo on both ends of the floor. Following the bucket that put UMD ahead, Notre Dame pressed on defense and dictated the pace on offense, steadily improving its field goal percentage to open up a 25-18 lead with 7:47 to go before halftime.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/110114aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Brett Ervin is a very good Division II center. He'll be undersized against the Gopher bigs at just 6-7, but has range out to beyond the 3-point line.

He's really the key to their team, but three other guys scored in double digits for the Bulldogs as well.

So... benchmark for the Gophers is 89-71 then. If our guys don't win by at least 18, we can pretty much write the season off!!! :pig:

The Dogs have already played against some serious DI pre season teams. They will give the gophers a very competitive game.

So... benchmark for the Gophers is 89-71 then. If our guys don't win by at least 18, we can pretty much write the season off!!! :pig:

That is what the Transitive Property of Basketball says!

Bulldogs can get very hot from 3 and can score points quick if this happens. Can have up to 5 guys on the floor at once capable of knocking down an outside shot. Ervin is a great player, but I'm sure will have trouble against EE and Mo. Bulldogs were just under .500 last year, but missed their best couple players most of the season. A senior loaded lineup that can score points. I could see them sticking around for a while, but it shouldn't be too close.

If our guys don't win by at least 18, we can pretty much write the season off!!! :pig:

I thought you already wrote the season off after the scrimmage... Glad you are hanging on for one more.

Can I watch the game anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If all else fails, 1500 ESPN broadcasts all season games (not sure about exhibition games though). I usually stream 1500 online when I'm unable to watch a game. Better than nothing.

If all else fails, 1500 ESPN broadcasts all season games (not sure about exhibition games though). I usually stream 1500 online when I'm unable to watch a game. Better than nothing.

Are you in Minnesota? I'm out of market and assume that it would be blacked out.

Are you in Minnesota? I'm out of market and assume that it would be blacked out.

I'm in Indiana right now and listened to a bunch of games in the last few years without issue.

Bulldogs can get very hot from 3 and can score points quick if this happens. Can have up to 5 guys on the floor at once capable of knocking down an outside shot. Ervin is a great player, but I'm sure will have trouble against EE and Mo. Bulldogs were just under .500 last year, but missed their best couple players most of the season. A senior loaded lineup that can score points. I could see them sticking around for a while, but it shouldn't be too close.

Pressure the ball. Don't double the post.

I'll be curious to see how Ervin does against you guys as well. He's likely to have a stellar year in the NSIC, but, to joshvanklomp's point, your bigs should present a slightly different challenge than most NSIC bigs. Notre Dame's starting center is 6'10", 240 lbs, and Ervin seemed to be ok against him, but other than that guy, the Irish aren't particularly tall/long.

Although you wouldn't know it from his Notre Dame statline, the other Bulldog that will likely make a difference for them is Zoelle. If I'm remembering correctly (and joshvanklomp can correct me if I'm wrong), he's sort of an instant offense kind of guy. Again, he struggled against ND, but, if he's on, he can light it up pretty quickly. At the same time, he's a guard...and the Gophers have good guards.

As an NSIC fan, it'll be fun to see how the Bulldogs look against you guys. Should be a fun game for both sides I would imagine.

I'll be curious to see how Ervin does against you guys as well. He's likely to have a stellar year in the NSIC, but, to joshvanklomp's point, your bigs should present a slightly different challenge than most NSIC bigs. Notre Dame's starting center is 6'10", 240 lbs, and Ervin seemed to be ok against him, but other than that guy, the Irish aren't particularly tall/long.

Although you wouldn't know it from his Notre Dame statline, the other Bulldog that will likely make a difference for them is Zoelle. If I'm remembering correctly (and joshvanklomp can correct me if I'm wrong), he's sort of an instant offense kind of guy. Again, he struggled against ND, but, if he's on, he can light it up pretty quickly. At the same time, he's a guard...and the Gophers have good guards.

As an NSIC fan, it'll be fun to see how the Bulldogs look against you guys. Should be a fun game for both sides I would imagine.

This'll be a good indication where the Gophs are at with their ball pressure and closing out on shooters, a weakness last year.

This'll be a good indication where the Gophs are at with their ball pressure and closing out on shooters, a weakness last year.

First game, an exhibition at that, is NO indication of our progress through a long and difficult schedule.

Zoelle was probably the go to scorer during last season, so he definitely can get hot. Kristofer Jackson is a very good player as well. Bulldogs have a transfer guard eligible this year who is supposedly pretty good as well, so we'll see

First game, an exhibition at that, is NO indication of our progress through a long and difficult schedule.

As we've seen with Tubby, we won't really have any indication of progress till about February.

February definitely has been a problem for Gophers

Over the last 10 seasons spanning four coaches, February hasn't been winning time for the Gopher program. In college football, it's November when you need to rise. In college basketball, it's February/early March. The Gophers' records' in those three months since 2004-05, excluding any games played after the Big Ten Tournament:

January: 38-39, 49.4 winning %
February: 27-49, 35.5 winning %
March: 17-20: 45.9 winning %

The best February came during Monson's NCAA season (2004-05), when the Gophers were 5-3.

The worst February was the Monson-Molinari season of 2006-07, when the Gophers laid a goose egg (0-8).

Two of the four seasons the Gophers made the NCAA Tournament (2004-05, 2009-10), they were above .500 in February. The other two (2008-09, 2012-13) they were 2-5 and 3-4, respectively.

As we've seen with Tubby, we won't really have any indication of progress till about February.

Top Bottom