Really cool gesture by Gopher Athletics. ... thanks

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Have been critical of the Gopher ticket office/marketing/hoops scheduling in the past (mostly about the non-conference home schedule), so I feel it's only fair to mention it when they do something really cool. For the second time in the last 2-3 weeks, have received an offer from Fan Relations offering comp tickets (for season-ticket holder, employee, and/or donor) for Gopher basketball games. A couple weeks ago it was 4 comp tickets to either the UMD exhibition or Franklin Pierce games (I chose F. Pierce), today it was 2 comp tickets to both the men's (Western Kentucky) and women's (Southeastern Louisiana) home openers.

Think it's a very nice gesture by the men's and women's basketball programs, or whoever it was that made the decision to make these offers. It's an especially good deal when you consider both teams have a chance to be really good (top 5 in Big Ten?) this season. Nice work, Fan Relations/Athletic Department/M & W Basketball, etc.

Have been critical of the Gopher ticket office/marketing/hoops scheduling in the past (mostly about the non-conference home schedule), so I feel it's only fair to mention it when they do something really cool. For the second time in the last 2-3 weeks, have received an offer from Fan Relations offering comp tickets (for season-ticket holder, employee, and/or donor) for Gopher basketball games. A couple weeks ago it was 4 comp tickets to either the UMD exhibition or Franklin Pierce games (I chose F. Pierce), today it was 2 comp tickets to both the men's (Western Kentucky) and women's (Southeastern Louisiana) home openers. Can't make the women's opener, but I have a niece who I know would love to use those tickets.

Think it's a very nice gesture by the men's and women's basketball programs, or whoever it was that made the decision to make these offers. It's an especially good deal when you consider both teams have a chance to be really good (top 5 in Big Ten?) this season. Nice work, Fan Relations/Athletic Department/M & W Basketball, etc.

I got the same email, but I can't figure out how to claim them. Is there a code I should have received?

I got the same email, but I can't figure out how to claim them. Is there a code I should have received?

I had the same problem, so I called the ticket office. They'll set you up. FWIW the tickets for the women's game were really good seats.

You have to login with your account and then "buy" the $0.00 tickets.

Agreed - very nice gesture.

I hope fans take advantage of both of these offers.

Go Gophers!!

Yep - just ordered 2 free tickets for my sons!

So the million dollar question.

Did this make you feel better about your season tickets and also make you feel like you are more likely to renew for next year? Will you increase your donations because of this gesture?

How can they monetize this "gesture" to benefit the team in the long run.

The monetization comes from getting people to those games that would just be empty seats otherwise (as long as they have excess capacity it's not hurting them - I know, a few ppl will use the tickets who would have bought them etc but let's ignore that minor effect for now). The more people that you can expose to the Gophers early in the year, the more people who will be watching them on tv / looking for B1G game tickets / buying a hot dog and a pop at Williams

So the million dollar question.

Did this make you feel better about your season tickets and also make you feel like you are more likely to renew for next year? Will you increase your donations because of this gesture?

How can they monetize this "gesture" to benefit the team in the long run.

This is like the buy-one-get-one-free coupon at the local restaurant. Gets people in the door and a chance to sample the product. If the seats would be empty anyway, why not grab some potential customers by showing them the game day experience.

The freebies have moved me to do something I never thought I'd do. I'm going to miss a Gopher (men's) game on TV (Louisville) so I can take my niece to the women's game. I'm becoming a softy in my old age. Never thought that day would come.

This is like the buy-one-get-one-free coupon at the local restaurant. Gets people in the door and a chance to sample the product. If the seats would be empty anyway, why not grab some potential customers by showing them the game day experience.

....and gets more butts in the seats. People attract people. Soundly like a great move.

The freebies have moved me to do something I never thought I'd do. I'm going to miss a Gopher (men's) game on TV (Louisville) so I can take my niece to the women's game. I'm becoming a softy in my old age. Never thought that day would come.

Good for you SS. Women rule. How old is your niece?

No doubt there is a benefit to having people at the game for consessions and exposure, but I was more wondering if this impacted long term sentiments. At least from SS he seems rather greatful so small sample is yes.

Being a loyal season ticket holder and erstwhile benefactor of the preseason games, I am very happy to have been able to pick up 2 free tickets so we can bring our sons who are in their 20s. This is the sort of thing we've been saying that other organizations do for their financial base. Yes, it is about time that they do something like this, and I think its great. A big benefit is that there should be a good crowd for the first game and a bunch of people who will be interested in coming back, and a pool of season ticket holders who don't feel so taken for granted.

I would have loved to have picked up the womens tickets but can't go that night, but this experience will likely encourage us to attend another time.

I've never been, but if there's ever a year to experience a WBB game in person, it'd be this year. Banham, Kelley, Zahui, Wagner, fast uptempo play....should be fun to watch! Hope you guys enjoy the game.

I'm a Timberwolves season ticket holder and so far they offered two free comp tickets for the home opener as well as two comp box tickets for an upcoming game. And this is my first year of being a ticket holder. It is a nice thing to do, but also a nice way of filling up the arena for games that are a tough sell.

I'm a Timberwolves season ticket holder and so far they offered two free comp tickets for the home opener as well as two comp box tickets for an upcoming game. And this is my first year of being a ticket holder. It is a nice thing to do, but also a nice way of filling up the arena for games that are a tough sell.

The Wolves know how to take care of their season ticket holders. Good to see the Goph's doing something similar.

Top Bottom