MN Daily: Gophers seek inside-out attack

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

When Minnesota hired Richard Pitino as head coach in April 2013, the Gophers’ post players were nothing to write home about.

Elliott Eliason was an uncoordinated backup center who often tripped while running down the court. He was coming off a season in which he averaged 2.2 points and 3.5 rebounds per game.

Mo Walker weighed more than 300 pounds and had barely played the year before.

With unheralded post players in the fold, Minnesota’s game plan for much of last season focused on using its talented perimeter players: Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins and DeAndre Mathieu.

But after Eliason proved to be a strong pick-and-roll partner and Walker became one of the team’s best scorers, Minnesota is focusing on establishing more of an inside-out offensive attack in Pitino’s second year with the Gophers.

“I thought we started throwing it inside a lot more toward the end of the year, and our offensive numbers went up,” Pitino said. “We’ve got to establish that.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/mens-basketball/2014/11/03/gophers-seek-inside-out-attack

Go Gophers!!

EE needs to limit poor fouls. His #'s will increase accordingly.

per the Daily:

When Minnesota hired Richard Pitino as head coach in April 2013, the Gophers’ post players were nothing to write home about.

Elliott Eliason was an uncoordinated backup center who often tripped while running down the court. He was coming off a season in which he averaged 2.2 points and 3.5 rebounds per game.

Mo Walker weighed more than 300 pounds and had barely played the year before.

With unheralded post players in the fold, Minnesota’s game plan for much of last season focused on using its talented perimeter players: Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins and DeAndre Mathieu.

But after Eliason proved to be a strong pick-and-roll partner and Walker became one of the team’s best scorers, Minnesota is focusing on establishing more of an inside-out offensive attack in Pitino’s second year with the Gophers.

“I thought we started throwing it inside a lot more toward the end of the year, and our offensive numbers went up,” Pitino said. “We’ve got to establish that.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/mens-basketball/2014/11/03/gophers-seek-inside-out-attack

Go Gophers!!

Assuming the Gophers stay healthy, I think Walker is the key to the Gophers' season. He can be a weapon in the post not many other Big Ten teams have. Both Mo and Eliason need to produce more this season (EE with his rebounding & blocked shots) in order for the Gophers to be anything more than a pedestrian Big Ten team, and I think they will.

Don't know if it's the right word, but I'd like to see Mo be less "gentle": things like going after rebounds harder, finishing at the rim by going at it stronger, and even knocking some people around. For his size, he could really create more havoc in there. He tries, but needs more intensity.

Don't know if it's the right word, but I'd like to see Mo be less "gentle".

I think that's the Minnesota Nice way of saying we'd all like to see Mo be more aggressive! Knock a few bodies to the ground, take a hard foul or two if needed (assuming EE isn't in foul trouble already!) and by all means...SLAM the dang ball instead of a passive lay-up if he has a winning shot at the buzzer!

Go Gophers!!

going after rebounds harder, finishing at the rim by going at it stronger

more intensity.

I think that is exactly what Kontae is going to bring and why he is going to be very good.

Mo and EE should have good senior season, if either was going to have 'breakout like' improvement, I'd pick Mo.

I think that's the Minnesota Nice way of saying we'd all like to see Mo be more aggressive! Knock a few bodies to the ground, take a hard foul or two if needed (assuming EE isn't in foul trouble already!) and by all means...SLAM the dang ball instead of a passive lay-up if he has a winning shot at the buzzer!

Go Gophers!!

I would also like to add - not getting stripped of the ball when he is down low.

Go Gophers!!

Agreed. After the weight loss, Big Mo needs to remember that he still isn't small. He's still a big guy, and I'd like to see him play like it.

Top Bottom