Roy Marble dying of cancer

Wow that is just awful news. Really sorry to hear that.

When I think of "classic Big Ten basketball" - the Roy Marble/BJ Armstrong duo always comes to mind. They were a fun duo to watch.

Completely random, but I met Roy when I was on a family trip about 25 years ago in the Black Hills. I was wearing a Gopher shirt and he came right up to us and started chatting about playing the Gophers.

Sad stuff.

Those were great Iowa teams, a lot of fun to watch. Didn't quite make it to the Final Four, but in some ways the Marble/Armstrong Hawkeye teams were reminiscent of the Flying Illini. That was in a cycle when the Big Ten was really, really good.

I hope somehow he can live long enough to see his youngest son through high school, God willing much longer than that.

Those were great Iowa teams, a lot of fun to watch. Didn't quite make it to the Final Four, but in some ways the Marble/Armstrong Hawkeye teams were reminiscent of the Flying Illini. That was in a cycle when the Big Ten was really, really good.

I hope somehow he can live long enough to see his youngest son through high school, God willing much longer than that.

38 years old and 5 children and you bless yourself for living 18 years healthy longer then him and say why him or anyone else? 38 and you are still suppose to be young and strong. He was a treasure to watch play.

It's unbelievable how many people are diagnosed with advanced stage lung cancer who never smoked and didn't show a lot of symptoms. I never really noticed until I had a sister-in-law get diagnosed with Stage 4 two years ago. She was given 6 months but fought for nearly a year and a half before passing away last
December. Since then I have paid closer attention and it's amazing how many more get the same horrible news.

I guess it was about 23 years ago,or more. He was a rookie for the Hawks. I met him in a retail furniture store that I ran. He was so thankful for my help he gave 3 tickets to an allstar basketball game. I,cannot remember the benefit that the game was played for. Maybe one of you can. I was able to take my boys. We sat on the floor right under the basket. Jordan, Magic,'Wilkins etc played in the game. He made me a hero with my boys. I remember how nice he was and how respectful he was of his mother. I have met a lot if athletes in my life. He stands out in my mind as one of the nicest. This is very sad

United Negro College Fund I believe.

Damn, that sucks.

Also, at first I was thought it was his son Roy Devyn.

An update on Roy from the Des Moines Register from a couple of weeks ago:

Roy Marble's spirits good in the fight of his life

Marble was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer at the end of August. The long-term prognosis is not good. He doesn't want his doctors to give him a time frame, a life expectancy. He is driven by one word: tomorrow.

"How long I live is not up to me," said Marble, 48. "I'm not trying to smack death in the mouth. I'll let it come when it comes."

Marble gets emotional when he talks about the challenge he faces. Who wouldn't? But he wipes the tears away and plays on.

"I'm scared as hell sometimes," Marble said. "I don't like this feeling. But if you're supposed to die, you're supposed to die. I'm not asking for pity or anything."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ll-men/2015/03/19/roy-marble-cancer/25020033/

Go Roy Marble!!

Top Bottom