SBNation Best 100 Players in College Basketball (#78 Andre Hollins)

Cayman

Reaction score
"Andre Hollins will be the guy most in charge of taking the Gophers from NIT champs to NCAA Tournament participants in Year 2 of the Richard Pitino era. Hollins' numbers are solid enough, but most of what he does well is subtle. He's terrific at getting to the line (where he's a career 84 percent shooter), he defends hard, he gets the ball to the right spot, and he doesn't turn it over. Along with backcourt mate DeAndre Mathieu, Hollins will be in charge of pushing pace and wearing down opponents in typical Pitino style."

Big Ten players plus a few others:

#100 Anthony Lee, Ohio State
#98 JerShon Cobb, Northwestern
#94 Rashad Vaughn, UNLV
#89 Siyani Chambers, Harvard
#88 Shannon Scott, Ohio State
#80 Ryan Harrow, Georgia State, high school class of 2010, 5 star, committed to North Carolina State in 2008, transferred to Kentucky, is now at his third D-I program
#78 Andre Hollins, Minnesota
#76 A.J. Hammons, Purdue
#69 John Brown, High Point. This is the guy who dropped 19 on us in our first round NIT game, I think he had some nice dunks in there too
#65 Rayvonte Rice, Illinois
#63 Aaron White, Iowa
#60 Sam Thompson, Ohio State
#51 Dez Wells, Maryland
#37 Yogi Ferrell, Indiana
#33 Sam Dekker, Wisconsin
#26 Branden Dawson, Michigan State
#15 Terran Petteway, Nebraska
#14 Tyus Jones, Duke
#9 Caris LeVert, Michigan
#8 Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin
#1 Jahlil Okafor, Duke

Under the 50 honorable mentions were
D.J. Newbill, Penn State
Nigel Hayes, Wisconsin
Myles Mack, Rutgers
Isaiah Whitehead, Seton Hall
Zak Irvin, Michigan
Kaleb Joseph, Syracuse
James Blackmon Jr., Indiana
Jake Layman, Maryland
Kadeem Jack, Rutgers
D'Angelo Russell, Ohio State

I was a little surprised that Mathieu didn't even get an honorable mention, considering he is probably just as vital to this team, if not more so than Andre Hollins. Four Kansas players in the top 35. Three Duke freshmen ranked #53, #15, and #1. Six Kentucky players in top 100. Three Louisville players, including Harrell at #3.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...00-players-2014-jahlil-okafor-stanley-johnson

Wow, Tyus got a pretty generous ranking. Do not agree with that at all.

"Andre Hollins will be the guy most in charge of taking the Gophers from NIT champs to NCAA Tournament participants in Year 2 of the Richard Pitino era. Hollins' numbers are solid enough, but most of what he does well is subtle. He's terrific at getting to the line (where he's a career 84 percent shooter), he defends hard, he gets the ball to the right spot, and he doesn't turn it over. Along with backcourt mate DeAndre Mathieu, Hollins will be in charge of pushing pace and wearing down opponents in typical Pitino style."

Big Ten players plus a few others:

#100 Anthony Lee, Ohio State
#98 JerShon Cobb, Northwestern
#94 Rashad Vaughn, UNLV
#89 Siyani Chambers, Harvard
#88 Shannon Scott, Ohio State
#80 Ryan Harrow, Georgia State, high school class of 2010, 5 star, committed to North Carolina State in 2008, transferred to Kentucky, is now at his third D-I program
#78 Andre Hollins, Minnesota
#76 A.J. Hammons, Purdue
#69 John Brown, High Point. This is the guy who dropped 19 on us in our first round NIT game, I think he had some nice dunks in there too
#65 Rayvonte Rice, Illinois
#63 Aaron White, Iowa
#60 Sam Thompson, Ohio State
#51 Dez Wells, Maryland
#37 Yogi Ferrell, Indiana
#33 Sam Dekker, Wisconsin
#26 Branden Dawson, Michigan State
#15 Terran Petteway, Nebraska
#14 Tyus Jones, Duke
#9 Caris LeVert, Michigan
#8 Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin
#1 Jahlil Okafor, Duke

Under the 50 honorable mentions were
D.J. Newbill, Penn State
Nigel Hayes, Wisconsin
Myles Mack, Rutgers
Isaiah Whitehead, Seton Hall
Zak Irvin, Michigan
Kaleb Joseph, Syracuse
James Blackmon Jr., Indiana
Jake Layman, Maryland
Kadeem Jack, Rutgers
D'Angelo Russell, Ohio State

I was a little surprised that Mathieu didn't even get an honorable mention, considering he is probably just as vital to this team, if not more so than Andre Hollins. Four Kansas players in the top 35. Three Duke freshmen ranked #53, #15, and #1. Six Kentucky players in top 100. Three Louisville players, including Harrell at #3.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...00-players-2014-jahlil-okafor-stanley-johnson

These lists are always pretty comical

These rankings and this thread made me think of a rather interesting hypothetical question...which PG would you rather have for the Gophers for this year only, Tyus or Mathieu?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think I would rather have the Senior Mathieu over the Freshman Jones. I'd consider their shooting close to a wash. Tyus is probably the better passer and "floor general". DeAndre seems a lot quicker and is probably better at penetrating and finishing around the rim. I think I'd give the defensive edge to DeAndre as well at this point. Throw in his familiarity in our system and I think Mathieu might be the better fit for the Gophers for this season.

Interested to hear what others think? (if anyone cares!)

These lists are always pretty comical

Yes, apparently the best player in college basketball this year will be someone who hasn't played a minute of it so far. I wonder if the same author said Andrew Wiggins (or Jabari Parker) would be the best player in college basketball last year.

Yes, apparently the best player in college basketball this year will be someone who hasn't played a minute of it so far. I wonder if the same author said Andrew Wiggins (or Jabari Parker) would be the best player in college basketball last year.

One would assume so. I didn't know best player in college basketball was synonymous with who do you think will get drafted highest next year

These rankings and this thread made me think of a rather interesting hypothetical question...which PG would you rather have for the Gophers for this year only, Tyus or Mathieu?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think I would rather have the Senior Mathieu over the Freshman Jones. I'd consider their shooting close to a wash. Tyus is probably the better passer and "floor general". DeAndre seems a lot quicker and is probably better at penetrating and finishing around the rim. I think I'd give the defensive edge to DeAndre as well at this point. Throw in his familiarity in our system and I think Mathieu might be the better fit for the Gophers for this season.

Lil Dre for his ability to get to the rim, mental toughness, and defense aka how you win games in March which is the goal of it all

That is very intriguing. I'd go with Mathieu.

Easy choice. Mathieu

So who was the best college basketball player last year? McDermott? Jabari Parker is right there in the discussion. Joel Embiid and Andrew Wiggins are also in the discussion. All three were freshman.

I love Mathieu, but I'd take Jones over him hands down. He's much more talented and will be one of the best PGs in college basketball THIS year.

The author is Mike Rutherford. Last year he listed Parker (7), Randle (4), Wiggins (1). Other frosh in the top20 include Andrew Harrison (18), CJ Fair (13), and Aaron Gordon (9).

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...-100-players-2013-14-wiggins-smart-russ-hoops

So who was the best college basketball player last year? McDermott? Jabari Parker is right there in the discussion. Joel Embiid and Andrew Wiggins are also in the discussion. All three were freshman.

I love Mathieu, but I'd take Jones over him hands down. He's much more talented and will be one of the best PGs in college basketball THIS year.

I think its close and could easily be argued either way, obviously with how well Tyus's game will actually translate to the college level being the primary unknown factor. I do think his 14th ranking is too high though, while Mathieu not even being mentioned in in the top 150 players is ridiculous. I love that little guy!

Surprised Mathieu gets no love.

Espn has andre at 59
Hollins was perhaps Tubby Smith's most frustrating player -- a gifted, physical guard who simply turned the ball over too often. His turnover rate dipped in his first season under Richard Pitino. A return to the 41.8 percent 3-point shooting of yore could mean a monster senior season

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...2014-college-basketball-player-rankings-59-40

I'm pretty sure Andre was closer to being Tubby Smith's least frustrating player. Royce? Mbakwe? (off-court issues) Sampson? Iverson? Cobb? Williams? The list could go on and on of players that were more frustrating than Hollins under Tubby.

Tyus certainly looked like one of the best PG's in the country tonight. Albeit against some bad competition.

The Tyus vs. Mathieu argument isn't even close.

I bet andre gets back to his sophomore form and dominates to the point he climbs in these rankings and is considered for a first team all big ten selection.

Tyus certainly looked like one of the best PG's in the country tonight. Albeit against some bad competition.

The Tyus vs. Mathieu argument isn't even close.

I think Tyus's athleticism is underestimated, he's so smooth that that it doesn't look like he is that quick, it will be interesting to see him against Wisconsin and Kentucky, my guess is his production won't be that much different than last nights, if he doesn't have to score much he just dominates the game.

Top Bottom