Carter has a top three

MRJ

Reaction score
According to Rivals, Michael Carter has a current top three of Florida, Minnesota and West Virginia. Georgia and Miami, Fla. are still listed, but are apparently outside of the top three.

I guess we'll all find out where he's headed at the Army All-Star game.

This is just me blowing hot air but the fact that Battle was going to commit and didn't makes me think that he wanted to verbal but was told to wait makes me think there's a possibility that Carter gave us a silent verbal.

Hard to know about "silent" verbals. I agree with you that the coaching staff probably told Battle to hold off on his commitment because of having "other irons in the fire." Whether that means that Carter is a silent verbal or not I have no idea.

I will say this however, I wouldn't mind if that was the case!!!:p

It would be great to see McNeal and Carter pop on Minnesota hats on national TV.

That would also be good for recruiting this years Jr’s

Last year it seemed as though Brew had to pull a few rabbits out of his hat to get that great recruiting class. We had good recruits with Minnesota on their lists. But it seemed when they narrowed the list down we were left out. This year it seems like there are a number of really good recruits that have us on their short list. Regardless of the eventual outcome that is a very good sign.

It's gone from "no way" under Mason to "I'm listening" last year, to a strong consideration this year. You've gotta like that progression.

This is just me blowing hot air but the fact that Battle was going to commit and didn't makes me think that he wanted to verbal but was told to wait makes me think there's a possibility that Carter gave us a silent verbal.

I've agree with part of this theory. I don't know about the SV part, but I do believe they are holding a spot, and don't want to have anyone commit until Carter decides. After Battle flat out told me he was going to commit on his visit, and then held off - I thought it was a bit suspicious. I've even asked him a few times if the coaches asked him to hold off, or what was going on...but he never really gives me a straight answer, he kind of avoids the question.

Well then, that's an answer in itself isn't it.

That's gotta be tough on a kid. All excited, ready to commit, and then you've gotta wait.
Kinda like putting it out there and asking the pretty girl out to the prom and having her tell you, "Sure...as long as nobody better asks."

Brewster said "I want to be recruiting against Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban those guys are the best of the best. Let's throw down head-to-head for a recruit and see who wins." The Hayo Carpenter commitment over Florida is one thing but that is not near as significant as getting a top 11 high school CB prospect out of Florida.

Let's be honest, Carter can be a good player at Florida but he has the chance to be seen as a football god at Minnesota. I don't see him achieving football immortality as a Gator.

Brewster, here is your chance to go get a guy that belongs at Minnesota and move to 2-0 against Urban on the recruiting trail.

I guess I was surprised by the cooling toward Battle, given that I was under the impression that there is both a need of depth in DBs and possibly quite a few scholarships available to the task. Even if Carter was a silent verbal, we still could use some quality backs, but we are hardly hauling them in hand over fist, so I guess the back-burner treatment seems kinda puzzling.

Well we allready have 2 dbs, Carter, Watkins, Paige, and Leon are all other possibilities. I think the staff is just waiting on Battle to see if they can get some better players, I think it is a smart move. Anyone know who has offered Battle?

In continuing with what GopherLady said, I would think that the fact that Battle didn't commit bodes well for several of the reasons already mentioned, namely, that the coaching staff knows they have a limited amount of spots and that they have a good shot at getting several of their top targets, including McNeal, Lewan, Carter and maybe even Leon and Paige.

Add to that the apparently pretty good possibility of adding Gainer and Watkins and spots are looking pretty limited.

As for Battle, I really feel badly for him. He's in a tough spot where he's kind of in limbo. I really hope he gets a chance to play somewhere. If not here, then somewhere.

Well we allready have 2 dbs, Carter, Watkins, Paige, and Leon are all other possibilities. I think the staff is just waiting on Battle to see if they can get some better players, I think it is a smart move. Anyone know who has offered Battle?

Leon is being recruited to convert to a WLB like we did with Lawrence so I don't think he even counts as a DB.

We want 5 DB's:

We have:
Kerry Lewis
Daryl Robinson

In the next two weeks we are likely to get Taikwon Paige (Dec. 12 visit, his coach says hs is "high on the Gophers") and Kenneth Watkins (He asked GI/Rivals to move him to High Interest in Minnesota and said that we are his leader going in to his visit this weekend at Indiana). We are waiting on Michael Carter to make his decision on January 3rd.

Brewster doesn't want to offer and accept his sixth choice at DB when we are in the final 2-3 for each his top 5 choices at DB. If his sixth choice had better options that would make it more of a challenge but Battle will clearly wait for us to make an offer before he commits elsewhere.

In continuing with what GopherLady said, I would think that the fact that Battle didn't commit bodes well for several of the reasons already mentioned, namely, that the coaching staff knows they have a limited amount of spots and that they have a good shot at getting several of their top targets, including McNeal, Lewan, Carter and maybe even Leon and Paige.

Add to that the apparently pretty good possibility of adding Gainer and Watkins and spots are looking pretty limited.

As for Battle, I really feel badly for him. He's in a tough spot where he's kind of in limbo. I really hope he gets a chance to play somewhere. If not here, then somewhere.

I don't think not offering battle says anything about our chances at getting McNeal or Lewan. We specifically are looking at 5 DB's and Battle is our sixth choice.

It is a tough position for him but he has other offers from smaller schools. I consider it like getting waitlisted at Stanford. You may really want to go there but the best school you've been accepted to is a notch below it academically. You'll hold out for Stanford to find out if you make it but if Northwestern or Harvard acceptance letters come in the mail you'll take those and forget Stanford. The situation is no different here, the coaches just have to manage expectations, be upfront, and telling him you are going to hold off on giving him an offer until someone else decides is not insulting. Heck, all he has to do is look at Rivals and see that we are going after the #11 CB in the country to say that isn't much of an insult that they don't consider me to be better than him.

Grunkie,

Good points. When it comes to Battle, I think we're pretty much on the same page (that is, we have a numbers crunch overall...Whether it be with five dbs or the overall number of schollies that we have left). :) Actually, its kind of a nice problem to have.

I'm just hoping the young man doesn't feel slighted. Sometimes situations like this can leave hurt feelings on both sides. Having said that, its nice to have kids who really want to be a part of your program in any case.

Grunkie,

Good points. When it comes to Battle, I think we're pretty much on the same page (that is, we have a numbers crunch overall...Whether it be with five dbs or the overall number of schollies that we have left). :) Actually, its kind of a nice problem to have.

I'm just hoping the young man doesn't feel slighted. Sometimes situations like this can leave hurt feelings on both sides. Having said that, its nice to have kids who really want to be a part of your program in any case.

That is fair. High school stars and DB's in general have egos and if they don't have a chip on their shoulder I don't want them here. But good recruiters can manage expectations and be clear about what we are looking for. Some of the guys we are waiting for are absolute studs and hopefully he realizes it without having his feelings hurt and he doesn't believe that we are stringing him along as a "consolation prize."

btowngopher

Looks like it's just a Gopher offer according to Rivals for Battle, who knows? Mostly Mountain West schools along with Arizona St and Kansas St with interest.

Top Bottom