Billy Gillispie files lawsuit against UK

If this is true then it is the second time that Calipari has left a school and it was crushed by violations. I hope Kentucky knows what it's getting itself into...

Gillispie's going to mess around and wind up with nothing. This is his negotiating tatic and he's hoping UK blinks and pays him more than their current lowball buyout figure.

This is going to backfire on him if it goes to court. Not only the stuff that happened while he was coach but his behavior and antics post-job are becoming legendary. I really think the man lost his mind at some point.

I'd be pretty pissed too if I were Gillispie. He went from being golden at A&M to being mud now that Kentucky ran him out of town after only 2 years despite some pretty good recruits coming in this year (before Calipari was hired). Regardless of the "antics" and NIT bid, giving a new coach only 2 years to build his program is unfair.

I think it's pretty funny that on the same day we hear about this lawsuit against KY and the NCAA investigation into Calipari's old team. What a mess.

I'd be pretty pissed too if I were Gillispie. He went from being golden at A&M to being mud now that Kentucky ran him out of town after only 2 years despite some pretty good recruits coming in this year (before Calipari was hired). Regardless of the "antics" and NIT bid, giving a new coach only 2 years to build his program is unfair.

I think it's pretty funny that on the same day we hear about this lawsuit against KY and the NCAA investigation into Calipari's old team. What a mess.

Gillispie wasn't show the door because of wins/losses. That's a myth and one reason I'm hoping all this goes to trial.

Gillispie lost his mind. The last straw was probably when he called a concussed 18 year old freshman a pussy, threw him off the team bus on a highway in St. Petersburg and told him to walk back to the hotel. A couple of prominent players jumped off the bus with him and told Gillispie if he was making him walk they'd walk too. The moment he did that he had a full scale player mutiny on his hands, every player worth a damn on the team was going to transfer or declare for the draft if he had stayed and it was over for him. Much like Matt Doherty's player mutiny only far more insane. At least Doherty didn't hang around Chapel Hill, going to the college bars getting drunk and skipping out on tabs while trying to start fights with people for taking his picture.

So........................

Gillispie wasn't show the door because of wins/losses. That's a myth and one reason I'm hoping all this goes to trial.

Gillispie lost his mind. The last straw was probably when he called a concussed 18 year old freshman a pussy, threw him off the team bus on a highway in St. Petersburg and told him to walk back to the hotel. A couple of prominent players jumped off the bus with him and told Gillispie if he was making him walk they'd walk too. The moment he did that he had a full scale player mutiny on his hands, every player worth a damn on the team was going to transfer or declare for the draft if he had stayed and it was over for him. Much like Matt Doherty's player mutiny only far more insane. At least Doherty didn't hang around Chapel Hill, going to the college bars getting drunk and skipping out on tabs while trying to start fights with people for taking his picture.

So, who hired Gillespie to begin with?

Personally I hope Billie gets every dime. Ky ran a good man like Tubby out and IMHO, got what they deserved.

So, who hired Gillespie to begin with?

Personally I hope Billie gets every dime. Ky ran a good man like Tubby out and IMHO, got what they deserved.

That's another myth. That same administration who "ran him out" also made him the highest paid coach in the nation at one point. He didn't live up to his end of the deal with a poor staff, poor recruiting and a decline in performance on the court his last two seasons.

His "solution" to that when he realized how bad it had gotten with guys like Rigot and Hanson (who he FINALLY agreed to let go) was a contract extension and to bring Saul on his staff. Both were not going to happen after his last two seasons. One because of the nature of the game and the other because of State nepotism laws. A former AD at Kentucky got into hot water when he hired his son in law to a staff position within the Athletic Department and the son in law's employment was terminated.

He was at UK for ten years, won a championship, won SEC/SECT titles, had some good seasons post-championship and made tens of millions of dollars. He left in a very professional manner, collected his substantial retention bonus (2 million I believe it was...which was put into the contract by Mitch Barnhart) and left for another job. That's nice work if you can get it. He wasn't "run" out of town. He decided it was in his best interest that he could no longer make it work and needed a change to a program that was a better fit for him in terms of expectations, profile and operations.

Gillispie, unlike Tubby or Pitino, would never embrace the fact that the basketball coach at UK is just more than a job. That was his first mistake. His second was his relations with members of the media in a very public way (Jeanine Edwards, Tom Leach, etc) and the final straw was his treatment of his players. Add in the fact his refusal to sign his contract and you got what you got. No one knew this would happen and it's all on Gillispie.

Cough.FOT.Cough. :D

What I'm saying is documented:

A | A | A
We had no way of knowing that Kentucky’s loss to Kansas in the 2007 NCAA Tournament would be Tubby Smith’s last game as the UK head coach. What has to be a bigger shock is just the suggestion that a loss to Creighton Monday night in the National Invitation Tournament could mark the end of the Billy Gillispie era as well.

How did we get here? How did it happen?

There are as many opinions as there are portals to the internet. And nobody has all the facts. We just know what we know.

Farewell, Tubby

Tubby Smith began thinking about an exit strategy long before that spring day, when he bolted for Minnesota. In fact, he himself told me Lou Holtz had advised him to get out, back when Smith was sending top-seeded teams to the NCAA tourney, in the early 2000’s. Holtz had learned first-hand, at Notre Dame, what it was like when the cheering ebbs. Get out while you’re ahead, he counseled Tubby.

What made Smith think about a change of address in earnest was his desire to have his son, Saul, join his coaching staff. Everybody knows what kind of pressure he was under to make changes among his assistants, even after the 2004-05 season that saw him a rebound or two away from that elusive second trip to the Final Four.

Call it loyalty, call it stubbornness, Tubby dug in. But toward the end, sources tell me, he agreed to clean house (with the exception of Dave Hobbs) if he could bring Saul on board.

Trouble was, UK has an anti-nepotism policy, the same one of which former Athletics Director Larry Ivy ran afoul when his step-son, Rob Manchester, landed a graduate assistant’s job with the football team.

It’s understandable as to why Smith would want to hire his own son, who eventually did join him at Minnesota. I can relate; my own son, Jack, sometimes travels with me to sporting events to lend a hand. My daughter Kate often pitches in on the UK broadcasts at Commonwealth Stadium and Rupp Arena. I enjoy having them around, seeing as how just last week they were toddlers.

And if you read Gene Wojciechowski’s excellent piece in ESPN The Magazine a few years ago, you’d understand the special bond between Tubby and Saul. Tubby and Donna nearly lost Saul when he was very young to a medical condition requiring extensive surgery, instilling within them the fear no parent should have to experience.

Tubby also told the administration he would shake things up if he could get a contract extension (either one or two years, depending on whom you believe). With 25 losses in the past two seasons, he didn’t really have much of a chance there.

So upon hearing “No, thank you,” he became a Gopher, leaving behind a body of work that was far more impressive in the first eight than it was in the last two.

I have some different sources than Dick (and he's far more connected than me or ANYONE in the media when it comes to UK) but this how it played out from my understanding. I'll differ with Dick on a couple of minor points but he wasn't "forced out". He just waited too long to make the changes he needed to and performance on the court suffered from it which left him in a weaker position. If he hadn't made the Saul demand he'd still be at UK IMHO. The addition of Patterson and Lucas coupled with new assistants (like a Vince Taylor) on the recruiting trail with a new focus by Tubby himself would have been enough, I believe, to have turned things around at least in the short term.

I won't lie to you: The failures of the 03-05 teams to reach the Final Four and Donovan winning back to back titles those two seasons while UK struggled firmly put the final wedge in the fanbase over Tubby Smith. He lost a lot of his support (not mine. I was defending him to the bitter end while acknowledging that the problems were real but correctable) among fans and some of the big money donors were upset at not only that but Mitch Barnhart's decision making to alter the atmosphere of the UKAA and put the focus on fundraising, donations and new revenue streams above who you are and what you may have given in the past.

It was almost the perfect storm for all this to happen and maybe it is fate that Minnesota got a good coach to resurrect the Gophers Program.

Truth, respectfully,

and truthfully, all I ever need to hear about Kentucky relates to the Derby.

That Tubby didnt meet the "high standards" at Ky is OK by me.

That's not what a discussion forum is built on. I just don't understand why people get upset when they make a thread and I enter it to discuss an issue that I have understanding on and it pertains to the topic at hand. I try to be as thorough and factual as possible and stay away from rumors or opinion as much as possible If you don't want to talk about it, don't make the thread. I love to talk basketball in general but it seems this board fills up with threads like these for some reason. I'm not directing the discussion here (and as a non-Gopher fan I shouldn't be) but I do enjoy participating though whether that be a topic like this one or a general CBB topic.

Truth...

That's not what a discussion forum is built on. I just don't understand why people get upset when they make a thread and I enter it to discuss an issue that I have understanding on and it pertains to the topic at hand. I try to be as thorough and factual as possible and stay away from rumors or opinion as much as possible If you don't want to talk about it, don't make the thread. I love to talk basketball in general but it seems this board fills up with threads like these for some reason. I'm not directing the discussion here (and as a non-Gopher fan I shouldn't be) but I do enjoy participating though whether that be a topic like this one or a general CBB topic.

I enjoy your posts and your input and I certainly hope you continue to speak up. It isnt my nature to bicker on the internet, so I wont.

My 2 cents is simple, Ky has to dance with who they brung. They chose to dance with Billie and I hope he gets every dime he can for the dance, as brief and unsatisfactory as it turned out.

I dont care about Ky bball enough to care if they win or lose. All I know is we got a great coach because it didnt work out at KY. The perfect storm as you say.

Nothing personal or negative towards you.

And yes, I do love the Derby!

I love it. All this after the entire shit-kicking state was defending him tooth (singular) and nail over his first two underachieving seasons. IT'S ALL TUBBY'S FAULT!!11ONE!

Now...he lost his mind. It isn't about wins and losses it's about the softer skills he didn't have.

Now...who can we bring in to prove it isn't about winning pct. Let's see...a real character guy who will right the ship. Someone who won't be seen as a shady character who never had issues in his past and bolted to get out from under allegations...hmmm. A guy who always gets his guys to work hard in the classroom and on the court.

What a bunch of shit. Was Jim Harrick busy? Frauds.

please go away truth

No. I've done nothing wrong, never started a thread to discuss Kentucky on this board and only jump in to discuss topics I want to. If you don't want to discuss it it's very simple: don't start threads about it.

Seriously, it's almost to the point where I've come to believe I actually start these threads. If that were the case I would totally understand the backlash (or if I was being disrespectful in some manner) but because I haven't on either account I find it hard to understand.

Cough.FOT.Cough. :D

Here are The Facts. Something you don't get from The Truth.

Tubby won 76% of his games at UK. That's the all-time W-L % at UK.

Tubby won 72% of his NCAA games there. That's 3% HIGHER than the all-time % in NCAA games at UK.

Tubby won 5 SEC titles and 5 SECT championships in 10 years at UK. Both are exactly (1 out of every 2 years) the all-time "average" at UK.

Tubby won 1 NCAA title, made 4 Elite 8 and 6 Sweet 16 in 10 years at UK. Those are exactly the all-time "average" at UK.

Tubby made only 1 Final 4 at UK. That's 1 of short of "average" at UK, or 2 FF per 10 years.

Tubby had 22+ W every year and made NCAA field every year at UK. Both are ABOVE all-time "average" at UK.

Tubby had 25+ W in 5 of 10 years and 30+ W in 2 of 10 years at UK. Both are exactly the all-time "average" at UK.

Tubby had teams finish #1 in AP poll and #1 in "coaches" poll at UK. Only Adolph Rupp and Joe Hall did that at UK.

Tubby is African-American. That was ANYTHING BUT "average" at UK.

I'm so happy for him that he's now at Minnesota.

That's another myth. That same administration who "ran him out" also made him the highest paid coach in the nation at one point. He didn't live up to his end of the deal with a poor staff, poor recruiting and a decline in performance on the court his last two seasons.

His "solution" to that when he realized how bad it had gotten with guys like Rigot and Hanson (who he FINALLY agreed to let go) was a contract extension and to bring Saul on his staff. Both were not going to happen after his last two seasons. One because of the nature of the game and the other because of State nepotism laws. A former AD at Kentucky got into hot water when he hired his son in law to a staff position within the Athletic Department and the son in law's employment was terminated.

He was at UK for ten years, won a championship, won SEC/SECT titles, had some good seasons post-championship and made tens of millions of dollars. He left in a very professional manner, collected his substantial retention bonus (2 million I believe it was...which was put into the contract by Mitch Barnhart) and left for another job. That's nice work if you can get it. He wasn't "run" out of town. He decided it was in his best interest that he could no longer make it work and needed a change to a program that was a better fit for him in terms of expectations, profile and operations.

Gillispie, unlike Tubby or Pitino, would never embrace the fact that the basketball coach at UK is just more than a job. That was his first mistake. His second was his relations with members of the media in a very public way (Jeanine Edwards, Tom Leach, etc) and the final straw was his treatment of his players. Add in the fact his refusal to sign his contract and you got what you got. No one knew this would happen and it's all on Gillispie.

The "poor staff" was 131-40 (almost 77%) at UK, which is 1% better than UK "average" all-time.

That staff signed Top 20 class in 2003, #1 class in 2004, #1 JuCo recruit in 2005, Top 15 class in 2006, and was going to sign Patrick Patterson and Jai Lucas as part of Top 10 class in 2007.

The retention bonus was $1.5 million and was EARNED for coaching UK through 2007 season.

What I'm saying is documented:

I have some different sources than Dick (and he's far more connected than me or ANYONE in the media when it comes to UK) but this how it played out from my understanding. I'll differ with Dick on a couple of minor points but he wasn't "forced out". He just waited too long to make the changes he needed to and performance on the court suffered from it which left him in a weaker position. If he hadn't made the Saul demand he'd still be at UK IMHO. The addition of Patterson and Lucas coupled with new assistants (like a Vince Taylor) on the recruiting trail with a new focus by Tubby himself would have been enough, I believe, to have turned things around at least in the short term.

I won't lie to you: The failures of the 03-05 teams to reach the Final Four and Donovan winning back to back titles those two seasons while UK struggled firmly put the final wedge in the fanbase over Tubby Smith. He lost a lot of his support (not mine. I was defending him to the bitter end while acknowledging that the problems were real but correctable) among fans and some of the big money donors were upset at not only that but Mitch Barnhart's decision making to alter the atmosphere of the UKAA and put the focus on fundraising, donations and new revenue streams above who you are and what you may have given in the past.

It was almost the perfect storm for all this to happen and maybe it is fate that Minnesota got a good coach to resurrect the Gophers Program.

Saul coached at UK in 2004 season. His older brother GG coached at UK in 2001 season.

Where was the Anti-Nepotism policy then?

UK received the Death Penalty in 1953, NCAA probation in 1977 and 78, NCAA letter of reprimand in 1988, and NCAA probation in 1990 and 91.

Tubby never met those standards at UK.

Thankfully so.

The Best Thing Happened for Everyone Involved

Tubby is a good fit for Minnesota. We needed an established successful coach with great ethical reputation.

Tubby needed a change and so did UK. He probably was stubborn about reorganizing his staff and injecting more energy into the situation. He was under fire from fans and the press, and that gets very old for everyone. When you are at a high profile program for a while, you wear out your welcome quickly if you don't meet expectations for a couple years. It was time for Tubby to leave and get a new start on his terms where there was excitement about him.

No one is without fault here, but we move on to an environment where we can operate successfully. Tubby is a very good coach and a terrific person.....but he is a terrible public speaker. Yep, no one is perfect, but I am sure thrilled Coach Smith is leading the Gophers.

Well stated Honyocker. We're glad to have Tubby with his teams' history of success (3 schools to NCAA tourney, most importantly look at Tulsa & Georgia) and his (by all acounts) class & integrity.

And Kentucky's happy to have Cal with his teams' history of on-court success. Minnesota is Minnesota, and Kentucky is Kentucky. Where's the problem here?

Tubby is a good fit for Minnesota. We needed an established successful coach with great ethical reputation.

Tubby needed a change and so did UK. He probably was stubborn about reorganizing his staff and injecting more energy into the situation. He was under fire from fans and the press, and that gets very old for everyone. When you are at a high profile program for a while, you wear out your welcome quickly if you don't meet expectations for a couple years. It was time for Tubby to leave and get a new start on his terms where there was excitement about him.

No one is without fault here, but we move on to an environment where we can operate successfully. Tubby is a very good coach and a terrific person.....but he is a terrible public speaker. Yep, no one is perfect, but I am sure thrilled Coach Smith is leading the Gophers.

Stop it Honyocker. You're making too much sense.

Top Bottom