Is it time to move around the starting pitchers?

gold04

Reaction score
I think for this regional winning the first two games is a must. If we do not win the first two games then there is no way we are going to come through the losers bracket and beat LSU! I think starting pitching will be the key. With that being said I'd change things up.

1. Rosin - Big Seth is pitching better then anyone right now and I'd pitch him first. He's finally becoming the pitcher we all thought he could be. With Handran having some struggles lately I'd pitch Rosin first because he's doing so well.

2. Buske - I'd pitch Buske second. He'd be the best Gopher pitcher in facing hostile crowds and the higly ranked LSU team. It would be by far the biggest game of the season and you'd want Buske on the mound.

3, Handran - I would not think of this as a demotion. It's just that Seth is pitching so well right now. Handran would be a good guy to close things up. If we won our first two games in this regional, Handran would probably be facing a young four or five man in the pitching roatation kind of guy. Handran being a senior would give him an advantage.

This is what I'd do but Anderson will probably keep things the same or pitch Buske first. Whatever Anderson decides to do, I hope it works.

Good Assessment

After watching quite a bit of the Gophers the past two weekends (at PSU & the Big Ten Tourney), I think that Rosin is definitely throwing the best. He's had two great starts and would be a good option to put on the mound in game 1. I also like your thinking about Buske. He's pitched in the NCAA's against CSU-Fullerton in 2007 and would hopefully come into a game against LSU with a lot of confidence.

Regardless, it's going to be an uphill climb, but what a great opportunity for this squad.

NCAA Regional

When it comes to the Regional tournament many teams switch their pitching around. It's all about finding the right match-ups. I've heard LSU may not even pitch their two big guns until game two and three. I know that would not be the case if they played a tougher opening round opponent.

After thinking about it, I thought the way Rosin is pitching he'd be a good guy to face the big bats from Baylor. Then have Buske go in the biggest game of the year. Handran being a senior to close things up would be a good guy to have on the mound.

I know some have said to start Buske the first game but he's the pitcher I trust the most in facing LSU in the biggest game of the season. Wether we lose the first or second game it does not matter. We really need to win both in order to win this region. I think Rosin pitching first and Buske second is our best bet to win the first two games in the regional. I like the senior Handran then closing things out. In that third game, Handran would probably be pitching against a much younger and inexperienced pitcher which would be to our advanted.

I've heard LSU may not even pitch their two big guns until game two and three.

LSU is definitely not starting either of their aces in game 1. In fact, the question is whether or not they will start their No. 3 pitcher or even their 4-5 guy (rotation after top 3 has varied alot over the season).

I'm pretty confident that Coleman (ace) starts game 2 for them, regardless of whether they win game 1. Then Ranaudo starting game 3.

If......

If Coleman is pitching game 2, then Buske definetly needs to pitch game 2. LSU's third pitcher has struggled, so I can see why they are looking to the weekend guys.

Ross

Ross (the No. 3) has definitely struggled this year. At times he's given impressive outings, but also some pretty bad ones.

LSU already faced Southern once this year, although it was way back in February. Matulis started that one and LSU won 11-5, with Matulis going 5 innings and giving up only 1 run. Matulis is one of the guys that's been competing for the 4th slot in the rotation and is 6-2 for the year.

Update

Maneiri said today he will start Ross in the opener, and if LSU wins Ranaudo is likely to get the start for game 2.

However, if LSU loses game 1 I'm thinking he'd switch to Coleman for game 2. He loves pitching Coleman in games after losses.

Quick question about catching situation for the Gophers: Kurt Schlangen has been told he may need to travel with the team to the LSU regional (as of two days ago I heard this) due to an injury to a catcher. Anybody know if it was the starter or the backup? I also heard he would only be expected to catch bullpen during games, rather than blow an entire red shirt season.

I hope it's not Knudson, we need him behind the plate.

schlangen didnt make the trip, and there are no catcher issues, just a bullpen catcher problem

Also if it were me I would keep the same starting rotation in order to keep buske going against LSU for the big game pitcher but I bet they move Buske to game one and Rosin in game 2 because Rosin is hot.

With Rosin being so hot all the more reason to have him start things out in game one.

I would be very suprised if Anderson moved the pitchers around, it's just not the kind of thing he does. he's old school and will want his two seniors pitching the first two games. It could work out very well and it could backfire if Chauncy struggles again. Buske against LSU is a no brainer and it will be nice to have Seth sitting there for a game three, hopefully in the winners bracket. We really have nothing behind those three so we have almost no chance if we don't win the first two.

As for Catcher, both Kvansnicka and OShea we're high school catchers so either could put on the mask if needed.

14 is not going to move pitchers around too much. As Johnny mentioned, thats not really his style, and nor should it be. Chauncy has had a pretty good year, and if I bet he does just fine against Baylor, who is not a great team. Buske needs to pitch against LSU if they get there. Seth has been good of late, but our best chance is with Tom on the mound. Not only is he more experienced, but he is flat our a much better pitch than Seth at this point in their careers. He would be able to keep the LSU guys off balance a little more than Seth. Seth has thrown great of late, but he gets by more on pure "stuff", which he can in the Big Ten, but those boys down at LSU see some great stuff all year long, much better than what Seth brings to the table. Buske mixes pitches, location and keeps it down. Also, I spoke with Oakes not to long ago and he told me that Buske has really come up with just a fabolous change up, said one of the best he's seen since he has been on campus, which will really keep the LSU players on their toes. If we can get by Baylor and LSU, having Seth for the title would be an added plus.

Here is hoping we can get some calls down in Baton Rouge too. I've have heard millions of stories about the home cooking LSU gets from the umps. Not that they are doing it intentionaly, but with the atmosphere at the park, they always seem to miss some for the home team. With that said, there is nothing like playing down there or watching a game down there. The fans will yell and scream and say some terrible things to you during the game, but after the game they cook you dinner and are the nicest people. It will be a great time. Go Gophers!!

"I'm pretty confident that Coleman (ace) starts game 2 for them, regardless of whether they win game 1."

That's probably true, but I would also guess that Mainieri still thinks of Ranaudo as his ace starter, whereas Coleman is more of a utility pitcher that can be used at any time. Ranaudo has been etched in stone to start the Friday night game for every weekend series this season, although obviously, all that flies out the window in a 4-team playoff format.

Shows how much I know. I suppose winning that 1st game is always the most important. No way we could win a regional if we lose this 1st one. I like this decision after all, even know who ever ends up starting the 2nd game (hopefully against LSU in the semi's) will be under a lot of pressure.

I know its a tough task winning this regional, we got a tough draw, but for some reason I am really confident that they could make a splash. This team doesn't seem to tighten up in big games. Good group of guys with a good make up for a tourney. I am not picking them to necessarily win it, but it wouldn't surprise me either. Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom