Maturi: Barn to be replaced or significantly renovated in 10 to 15 yrs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this scoop from Shama Sports Headliners:

Williams Arena: Controversy Ongoing

Williams Arena, the sentimental yet flawed home of Gophers basketball for 81 years, managed to avoid the scrap heap 20 years ago and it might still be around two decades from now but controversy will define its existence. The University athletic department is spending $600,000 on a new floor this spring, the latest in millions of dollars in renovations that have been allocated to improve the building that’s one of the oldest college basketball facilities in the country.

Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi, 64, told Sports Headliners the “reality” is that the building will have to be replaced or significantly renovated 10 to 15 years into the future. “It won’t happen during my time,” he said.

When Rick Bay became Gophers athletic director in 1989 he consulted with Jim Dutcher who coached the Gophers basketball team for 11 seasons before resigning in 1986. The two had become friends when both worked at the University of Michigan.

“When he came to town he wanted my take on the significance of Williams Arena,” Dutcher said. “He knew that there was a lot of emotion attached to it and there were some expensive remodeling and updating (that) had to be done. …My view was I said, ‘It might be a good time, Rick, just to go for a brand new arena.’

“He knew the emotion attached to Williams Arena and he kind of hesitated about that, but I said that from a recruiting standpoint and updating your facilities there comes a time when the emotion of an old building gives way to a new facility whether it’s Carver-Hawkeye (Iowa), or the new arena at Ohio State, or the new arena at the Kohl Center in Madison.

“There comes a time when you have to step up and keep up with the competition. If you’re going to put money into an old facility, now might be the time to consider that. I don’t know how seriously he considered it but they went ahead and remodeled Williams Arena.”

Remodeling has included installing chair back seats, creating suites (“barn lofts”) and locker room renovation. As part of the process to make the 81 year old building more functional and compliant with safety codes, seating capacity has been reduced by about 3,000 from what it was 30 years ago.

The arena isn’t as noisy now days. Not only are there fewer fans but they are, on average, older than in the wild days of the 1970s when the place was jumpin’ even before tipoff. The basketball product was in decline for years until Tubby Smith came two years ago and once in awhile now when the building is full and a Michigan State or Wisconsin is in town Williams Arena is a special place once again.

Long mentioned in the same breath with college basketball’s most historic facilities, Williams Arena is an intimate venue with a rarity seldom seen, a raised playing floor. That playing surface is part of the building’s enigma. A fall from the raised floor by a player poses a potential danger not present in other buildings, yet fans regard the floor as part of the building’s charm. Spectators sitting down low and near the court, even those paying premium prices, can’t see part of the game when coaches and referees block their views.

Former U basketball coach Jim Dutcher suggested 20 years ago to athletic director Rick Bay that the timing might be right to replace Wlliams Arena.

New Practice Facility to Help Image

The old building is quaint but it’s partially held in place by steel supports that obstruct the sightlines of spectators. Those tickets are sold with advance notice that you will have a partial view, not exactly 21st century marketing.

Concourses and restrooms are crowded, even for games with less than capacity crowds. The old building is less charming when your bladder is about to burst and the bathroom line reminds you of gasoline rationing in the 1970s.

Then, too, the building is a recruiting liability with out of state player prospects when they look at it without fans on non-game days. It’s pretty hard to relate to a facility that was built before their grandparents were born and by comparison must compete with the newer palaces of college basketball.

The recruiting formula will receive a lift when a new practice facility is built in the near future. Maturi said costs and location haven’t been determined but it may be connected to Williams Arena where the Gophers not only play but practice.

Further into the future a new facility might replace Williams Arena. Although totally new, it could have a retro Williams Arena design. More seats, better sightlines, improved concourses, rest rooms and practice facilities. A facility capable of generating more revenues for the athletic department while better serving the fans and basketball program.

Even 15 years into the future, though, Dutcher thinks the original Williams Arena, then almost 100 years, will still be around. “…I think the alternative is the new practice facility,” he said. “I think they’ve already decided to go that route, to build a nice building that has the practice facility, that has the coaches' offices, probably academic counseling rooms for basketball players. ...When a recruit comes on campus the showcase is probably going to be the new basketball building. The sideline is going to be Williams Arena with all the emotions and so forth. …”

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Replace Willum Arena ?

I hope to die first !

Hey kids, if all you care about is playing in some brand spankin' new arena, go somewhere else. There are hundreds of new arena's to pick from.

ooops...

I hope to die first !

Hey kids, if all you care about is playing in some brand spankin' new arena, go somewhere else. There are hundreds of new arena's to pick from.

I forgot to add...:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:( :( :mad: :mad:

I would hate to be the AD who makes the decision to tear down The Barn. It's not perfect, but it's still light years better then Kohl or Carver. :(:(:(

If they could replicate it new

I might be able to live with that. While the arena is historical, and quaint, one of the very practical advantages from a fan pespective is that we can be in the upper deck and be relatively close to the game. The upper deck in almost all new arenas feels a mile away from the action. My group has been in section 212 since the major renovation in the mid 90's, and our seats are good. It would be nice to have backs, though.

On another note, Shama's critique about the sedated crowd is off base. The reduced crowd noise has more to do with the in house commercials than the mix, age or number of fans. There were more crowd reactions stifled by Dick giving commercials this year than I can count.

Those tickets are sold with advance notice that you will have a partial view, not exactly 21st century marketing.
Um - the new Yankee stadium has some partial view seats. I wonder what they go for...

On another note, Shama's critique about the sedated crowd is off base. The reduced crowd noise has more to do with the in house commercials than the mix, age or number of fans. There were more crowd reactions stifled by Dick giving commercials this year than I can count.

Agreed. Commercial breaks after big plays leading into timeouts kill the atmosphere. I'm usually up on my feet ready for the Rouser and the Subway shootout begins. Ug.

I would hate to be the AD who makes the decision to tear down The Barn. It's not perfect, but it's still light years better then Kohl or Carver. :(:(:(

I think they are (or soon will) renovate Carver. Carver is the worst place in the Big Ten. Period. I have no idea what they will do to improve it, but it needs it.

As for the Barn, I could live with Retro Barn. You pay enough money, use the right architects, they can save the place. But a well done Retro Barn would be AOK with me.

+1

This reminds me to write an email. I understand you have to pay your bills, but there is a balance for everything. To be honest, this is a relatively new thing. I would guess... last 2-3 seasons. Wouldn't you? Maybe it was a slow change.

I know what you guys are saying about those commercials. I felt embarrassed bringing my friend from Wisconsin to the game for some of the advertisements and games. That stupid Subway train race needs to go and so does the ridiculous Jax Cafe thing.

>>Hey kids, if all you care about is playing in some brand spankin' new arena, go somewhere else.<<

That's an attitude that will prevent us from ever becoming a perennial top ten program.

I like the idea of a redone Barn. Keep the building just redo the inside. You would most likely have to steal space from the Sports Pavilion to do it. Either that or the only way to completely replace the Barn is to build an identical building(basically new Yankee Stadium style).

Which ever way the do it I would hope they do it right. It is one of those things where you only have one shot at and if you mess it up you would be horrible for the program and the history of Gopher Basketball

Exactly what I thought when I read the Kohl Center mentioned as one of the new arenas compared to the Barn. Glad to have what we have rather than the feel of the Kohl Center for basketball and Camp Rundown.

Pee-Hah

>>Hey kids, if all you care about is playing in some brand spankin' new arena, go somewhere else.<<

That's an attitude that will prevent us from ever becoming a perennial top ten program.

Obviously there are many schools with new facilities and arenas that are NOT top ten perenial programs.

If we have to sell our soul to get there (perenial top ten) let me off the bus.

Fix it up, renovate it, paint it and polish it, but never let it go the way of Memorial Stadium.

It will be a sad day when this day comes, but time marches on. If they decide to rebuild instead of renovate (which I think they will), I hope there's an effort made to have it resemble The Barn. Hopefully the last 10-15 years of The Barn will be among the most rocking in its history.

Lets see... The Barn has been in place 80 years or so. Caver Hawkeye 30 years old or so. Yet Carver, by all accounts is a dump and needs to be replaced or at the very least needs major renovation. Look at Target Center, a supposed basketball cathedral when it opened up but a pretty sterile place now.
My point is that if we had replaced The Barn back in the early 90's when it was renovated we would be talking about tearing that new structure down and building another new State of the Art Arena now. Tubby would likely demand it and probably rightfully so. It would likely justy not measure up to the arena's the youth of America want to play in.

As far as:

Ask Virginia how their new State of the Art John Paul Jones Arena is working out for them.

If the Barn goes, I for one will be incredibly upset. You don't tear down landmark places. You just don't. They replaced old Yankee stadium with new Yankee stadium, and it's half-full every game, and has no atmosphere. In my view, you stick with upgrading the practice facility. Maybe you even renovate some of the inside of the barn. But you never get rid of the raised floor, and you don't build another target center for the Gophers.

If the day comes that they need to replace the 81-year old building, then they should take a page out of the Conseco Fieldhouse book. Make it a "throwback" retro look that resembles the Barn, but offers up all of the modern amenities. Having been at the Big Ten Tourney two years ago, I was totally taken aback at how cool Conseco Fieldhouse was. From the outside it still has that "field house" look, the lobby and ticket areas look like they are right out of the 1950s, and the ushers wear uniforms that are old school, too.

But, you get wide concourses, beautiful seating, suites, plenty of restrooms, monster amounts of concession stands, elevators/escalators, etc. It also is loud in there, which is important to me to keep that aspect of it.

I know it is blasphemous to say it, but I think if we built a new Williams Arena that took on the old look while providing all the cool new things for fan convenience and enjoyment that we'd take great pride in it. It wouldn't be the end of the world. I mean if they can build a new Yankee Stadium - the most famous of all American sports venues - then certainly someday we could see a brand new on-campus Williams Arena. They simply cannot "sterilize" it into a cookie-cutter NBA-style arena like Wisconsin and Ohio State did. That would be awful. Conseco-style is far better and I could live with that.

And, as you can see, Conseco Fieldhouse offers up that "field house" or "Barn" look. A new Williams Arena shouldn't look exactly like Conseco Fieldhouse (it'd have to be smaller and cheaper), but it should resemble this look while taking on a replicated Williams Arena feel and look.

newfront.jpg

Off the top of my head I can name a couple of perrenial "top 10" programs who play in very old arenas. Duke, Kansas, and UCLA anyone? Some others that come to mind that definitely aren't new are Louisville, Illinois, and Purdue (while not as old as Williams they wouldn't be considered new since they were built in the 1950s and 1960s). By the way, speaking of a new arena that does a good job at being retro take a gander at Mizzou Arena.

gen-03.jpg

gen-02.jpg

gen-01.jpg

Good call on Conseco. Something resembling Conseco would be a nice start. A great place to watch a basketball game, and you're not being hit over the head by the garbage of most modern-day arenas. Nice old-school feel to it. Whatever the U decides to do, I'm sure there will be some things that carry over from The Barn. Sure, there's no way it could be exactly the same, but I'm sure they'll bring some of the old-school feel from Williams Arena to a new arena, whenever it's built.

Psssst...

I didn't suggest that a brand new arena would guarantee a "perennial top ten" program. I meant that ignoring the interests of America's very top recruits would rule it out.

Whether in ten years or farther down the road, the Barn will need to be replaced. That doesn't have to be a bad thing and it might even turn out quite good. Start by replacing that zany raised floor.

only if:

Psssst...

I didn't suggest that a brand new arena would guarantee a "perennial top ten" program. I meant that ignoring the interests of America's very top recruits would rule it out.

Whether in ten years or farther down the road, the Barn will need to be replaced. That doesn't have to be a bad thing and it might even turn out quite good. Start by replacing that zany raised floor.

replace the zany raised floor ONLY IF they replace it with one HIGHER !!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

That's about as progressive as ignoring the wishes of top recruits.

I would only support a new barn if they kept the raised floor and similar look of Williams.

Lets see... The Barn has been in place 80 years or so. Caver Hawkeye 30 years old or so. Yet Carver, by all accounts is a dump and needs to be replaced or at the very least needs major renovation. Look at Target Center, a supposed basketball cathedral when it opened up but a pretty sterile place now.
My point is that if we had replaced The Barn back in the early 90's when it was renovated we would be talking about tearing that new structure down and building another new State of the Art Arena now. Tubby would likely demand it and probably rightfully so. It would likely justy not measure up to the arena's the youth of America want to play in.

As far as:

Ask Virginia how their new State of the Art John Paul Jones Arena is working out for them.

It's working fine overall. The Men's basketball team stinks, but it's not the arena's fault. We are getting all sorts of concerts and shows that used to go to Richmond or DC. The Women's team is very good. The atomosphere for the 2-3 Men's games that actually come close to selling out is fine. The atmosphere at the rest of the games when it's half-full sucks, just like everywhere else. One difference for Minnesota is that the Barn is generally beloved while University Hall was built in the 60's and generally regarded as a sterile, generic place.

I think a new arena modeled after the Barn is the best way to go. No arena can last forever. Even Fenway Park and Wrigley have some unsightly problems that detract from the experience. And the Barn is great and all, but it's no Wrigley Field.

Going to Williams Arena about 20 nights a year is probably my favorite thing to do every calendar year, but the bottom line is Gopher basketball is the passion, not the arena they play in. When Williams is torn down it will be a sad day -- a lot of wonderful memories that will go with me to my grave -- but it's the teams & players that make the memories, much moreso than the arena.

I agree with those who say the Kohl Center is a cookie-cutter, sterile, dull arena, but it's become special (looking at it as an outsider) because of the success the Badgers have had in the building. Would Kohl be considered a recent-vintage hallowed venue (I use the term loosely) if the Badger program sucked like it did prior to Bennett and Bo's arrival? Really, the same could be said for Breslin. Breslin's much nicer than the Kohl Center, but (like Kohl) it's considered a great venue for two reasons. ... the Spartans' success there and the ability to fill it pretty much night in & night out.

I have a hunch if the Gophers move into a new arena and they have the success Michigan State & Wisconsin have had in their (relatively speaking) new venues, Gopher fans will be OK; we'll survive.

I really only support a major renovation of the place. Better concourses, better concessions, better bathrooms, better locker rooms. The raised court must STAY!! That place is amazing and should not be torn down.

Plus if they build a long-lasting quality practice facility, what more do the recruits really want???? A rocking crowd for every game, an intimidating atmosphere (raised floor included), and decent-to-quite decent locker rooms. That's it!! A new arena is NOT necessary for the recruiting aspect.

I grew up in Chicago and I am just barely old enough to go to Blackhawks and Bulls games at the old Chicago Stadium. It was built in 1929, one year after the Barn. That place gave you absolute chills. And the noise!!! Oh My Lord!! It was closed in 1994, and torn down the year after. I got this quote from wikipedia:

"In addition to the close-quartered, triple-tiered, boxy layout of the building, much of the loud, ringing noise of the fans could be attributed to the fabled 3,663-pipe Barton organ that was played during hockey games there, earning it the moniker of "The Madhouse on Madison (Street)". In the Stanley Cup semi-finals in 1971, when the Blackhawks scored a series-clinching empty-net goal in Game 7 against the New York Rangers, CBS TV announcer Dan Kelly reported, "I can feel our broadcast booth shaking! That's the kind of place Chicago Stadium is right now!" The dressing rooms at the Stadium were placed underneath the seats, and the cramped corridor that led to the ice, with its twenty-two steps, became the stuff of legend."

People like the new United Center, but it is way to cavernous to make half the noise of Chicago Stadium even with thousands more in attendance. The Blackhawks started their slow decline when they left the stadium because their home ice advantage was minimal. The Bulls did remain good, but that's because Jordan un-retired.

Ive talked to dozens of people who remember that place and they all said things to the effect of "I would sell my house to see a season of hockey or basketball back in the Old Stadium".

Breslin's much nicer than the Kohl Center.

Not to hijack the thread, but what makes you say that? I'm curious in what perspective you're defining "nicer."

My own opinion is that Breslin is okay. It isn't great. But, as you say, because the Spartans have been great, the venue has been great. But, Kohl Center has many nicer amenities, is ten years newer, and cost millions more to build.

I know you have an MSU background, so was wondering from what perspective you were coming from to call Breslin "nicer" than Kohl.

Nicer in terms of I enjoy watching a game at Breslin better. Get more of a "collegiate feel" when I go to Breslin as opposed to when I go to the Kohl Center. But you're right, there's probably some bias on my end, but it's more anti-Badgers than it is pro-Sparty.

Top Bottom