Nice column by Souhan: Overcoming fight's stigma drives Clyde Turner

Great article. I am a bit young and didn't know about this fight. Is there video of it anywhere?

Great article. I am a bit young and didn't know about this fight. Is there video of it anywhere?

yes...there is some low-quality, grainy, old video of this 'incident'...good thing it happened pre-espn...otherwise, it would have received months/years of the endless loop coverage for the world to see...and it would have made all of the 'lists' for all-time thuggishness that espn and fox sports tend to bring out with regularity...:eek::eek::eek:

not sure the 'u' athletic program would have survived the continuous onslaught??

good for clyde turner...the more recent chapters of his life have been good...but it's tough to shake the consequences of one's actions/decisions from earlier in life...

this unprovoked, thuggish incident from 1972 is a sad chapter in the gopher history book...:(:(:(

yes...there is some low-quality, grainy, old video of this 'incident'...good thing it happened pre-espn...otherwise, it would have received months/years of the endless loop coverage for the world to see...and it would have made all of the 'lists' for all-time thuggishness that espn and fox sports tend to bring out with regularity...:eek::eek::eek:

not sure the 'u' athletic program would have survived the continuous onslaught??

good for clyde turner...the more recent chapters of his life have been good...but it's tough to shake the consequences of one's actions/decisions from earlier in life...

this unprovoked, thuggish incident from 1972 is a sad chapter in the gopher history book...:(:(:(

Yep, big mistake on the coaches part calling Turner off when he started chasing Witte at the end the first half after Witte rabbit punched Nix.

hint hint

A creative use of the Google will get you plenty. Personally I dont want to post a link here.

:(

Yep, big mistake on the coaches part calling Turner off when he started chasing Witte at the end the first half after Witte rabbit punched Nix.

sorry...i'm not into revisionist history...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

over the years...as the offending parties have 'come clean'...the gophers have admitted there were no racial slurs to prompt the riot...and there were no cheap shots either...

witte and others have forgiven...clyde turner has used the fallout from his shameful act as a vehicle to pursue that which is good

let's just leave it at that...and be grateful for no endless loops from espn...

Having talked to corky about it and hearing what Clyde had to say, both have accepted there share of the blame but to this day both say that OSU contributed plenty to the rough play and have been perceived as innocent angels in this incident and both are still mad over that, and nobody agrees with the no witte cheap shot comment you made.

Witte cheap shot was real

<and nobody agrees with the no witte cheap shot comment you made>

You've got that right. What Taylor did may not have been right but Witte was not without blame and Corky has been shamed way more than he ever deserved. The cheap shot by the Gophers that night rightfully belonged to others.

Having talked to corky about it and hearing what Clyde had to say, both have accepted there share of the blame but to this day both say that OSU contributed plenty to the rough play and have been perceived as innocent angels in this incident and both are still mad over that, and nobody agrees with the no witte cheap shot comment you made.

johnny,

there are those among us who believe the usa should accept its 'share' of the blame for 9/11...:eek::eek::eek:

i don't agree with them either...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

over the years...as the offending parties have 'come clean'...the gophers have admitted there were no racial slurs to prompt the riot...and there were no cheap shots either...

witte and others have forgiven...clyde turner has used the fallout from his shameful act as a vehicle to pursue that which is good

let's just leave it at that...and be grateful for no endless loops from espn...

Yes, but revisionist history is your stock in trade.

Turner's involvement in the whole affair was minimal. That Souhan made it the lead in to the story is just indicative of his "professionalism".

If you're saying that the elbow wasn't thrown at the end of the first half, then you are showing your ignorance regarding Gopher Basketball and your arrogance in thinking that just because you didn't see it, it didn't happen.

It's getting hard to read this board when we have posters like this guy making crap up. Thankfully, we still have some knowledgeable and insightful members that keep this place worthwhile.

johnny,

there are those among us who believe the usa should accept its 'share' of the blame for 9/11...:eek::eek::eek:

i don't agree with them either...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So you're comparing those who believe that Ohio State may have had a hand in the rough play that day to those who think the USA should be blamed for being attacked in 9/11? :confused::confused: Hmmm, interesting.

Top Bottom