Gophers vs Indiana BT Tourney

gophersfan

Reaction score
This team look so tied right now. 6-1 Indiana top of the 4th.

Indiana lead minnesota 7-2 top of the 6th.

I was surprised that they had to play again tonight!

Love to see the boys fighting and having great success in the tourney.

I thought for sure they would just play 1 or 2 tomorrow.

See ya in the NCAAs.

GM

No doubt it looks like the gophers ran out of gas tonight. Don't want to take anything away from Indiana but that pitcher wasn't very good and we let him get away with some very hitable pitches plus we hit some real hard balls right at guys. It was the errors and sloppy play where we really looked like we hit the wall. To be honest, I don't really think it matters too much for the gophers, I think by advancing to the championship round and beating illinois and ohio state in the process, we should be a solid 2 seed.

Nothing to be ashamed of. We've had a great season. Time for NCAA's!

When was the last time the Gophers had a #2 seed?

No doubt it looks like the gophers ran out of gas tonight. Don't want to take anything away from Indiana but that pitcher wasn't very good and we let him get away with some very hitable pitches plus we hit some real hard balls right at guys. It was the errors and sloppy play where we really looked like we hit the wall. To be honest, I don't really think it matters too much for the gophers, I think by advancing to the championship round and beating illinois and ohio state in the process, we should be a solid 2 seed.

JG,

I don't remember when the Gophers were a national power in baseball. It's been a while.

I hope that is true...that they will be a 2 seed...helps on getting past the earlier games in trying to advance.

GM

JohnnyGopher or anyone. do you still think Minnesota is a lock for hosting a regional or are they out of that question or in the running to host.

During the post-game interviews yesterday, Bob Todd, the Ohio State coach, talked about how the NCAA in recent years has tried to include a regional site each year that isn't in the south or the west. He said his team and Louisville had submitted bids to host and we also know that the Gophers submitted a bid. Based on facilities alone, I'd think Ohio State and Louisville would get the nod over the Gophers because of the lack of amenities at Siebert.

Not sure how much other factors (RPI, money pledged, etc.) play into it. With the local media almost completely ignoring college baseball, we barely get stories about games, much less some analysis of the NCAA selection process. Todd said he figured that OSU submitted about $100,000 as part of its bid. He also talked about bids in previous years of up to $375,000 being passed up by the NCAA.

During the post-game interviews yesterday, Bob Todd, the Ohio State coach, talked about how the NCAA in recent years has tried to include a regional site each year that isn't in the south or the west. He said his team and Louisville had submitted bids to host and we also know that the Gophers submitted a bid. Based on facilities alone, I'd think Ohio State and Louisville would get the nod over the Gophers because of the lack of amenities at Siebert.

Not sure how much other factors (RPI, money pledged, etc.) play into it. With the local media almost completely ignoring college baseball, we barely get stories about games, much less some analysis of the NCAA selection process. Todd said he figured that OSU submitted about $100,000 as part of its bid. He also talked about bids in previous years of up to $375,000 being passed up by the NCAA.

Didn't minnesota use Midway Stadium as it host when submitting it bid.

Kind of a bummer to lose in the Big Ten Tourney game, but certainly nothing to get all twisted up over. The guys played well in the tourney for the most part. And on top of that, it's hard to beat a team that had absolutely everything go its way from the first pitch of the first game it played. I was left to wonder "what kind of voodoo magic did Indiana use before this tournament started?"

Anyway, with the NCAAs looming, I think we're in pretty good shape. As for far as hosting goes, I'm not counting on it, but I still think we're in good enough shape to get a #2 seed somewhere. If I had to guess, it will be either Louisville or Ohio State hosting, but then again, what do I know?

Didn't minnesota use Midway Stadium as it host when submitting it bid.

The Rivals.com college baseball writer posted something a couple of weeks about how he thought Minnesota deserved and was in good shape to be a regional host. That was before the Penn State series when the Gophers were still in first place, etc. He also mentioned an email conversation he had with John Anderson where Anderson revealed that the Metrodome wasn't available the weekend of the regionals and that Minnesota's bid was submitted with Siebert as the location.

On Rivals this morning, they had their final field of 64 prediction. They had the Gophers hosting TCU as the top seed, Minnesota No. 2, Oregon State at No. 3 and Wright State the fourth seed.

We should know some time later today whether the Gophers get to host. The NCAA.com site says all 16 regional sites will be revealed today but didn't give a specific time.

Top Bottom