Pathetic story re: Fordham player denied release

Let's not forget who Whittenburg played for. Jimmy V was a good coach and charismatic man and has done more good after his death than I'll ever do in my lifetime, but that doesn't change the fact his tenure at NC State was rather shady. Academics, character, ethics were not exactly words associated with NC State. The name Chris Washburn immediately comes to mind. That tends to get glossed over because of all the good things the V Foundation does. Sounds like this is a case of the apple not falling far from the tree.

Messy

So, is this Whittenburg blaming the school for his decision, or the school trying to keep a program together? The part that makes no sense at all is them allowing three other guys to get out of dodge, and preventing the last one.

Methinks as this story spreads, the player may be granted his release. Not all publicity is good.

Question:
I have nenver understood this. What happens if no release is granted? The player can not transfer until he sits out a year? Or can not play until a transfer is granted?

NCAA fans don't like to discuss this but the players are essentially slaves. I would love it if coaches had to sit out a year when they leave jobs. Fair is fair.

I would not say slaves, as they are entering into the transaction freely. They are clearly bound by some type of contract, of which they are routinely released from its terms. It seems to functionally be a non-compete clause which should protect the team and the school. I am sure I don't like the way the rules are applied, but I understand the need for them. Without transfer rules and basic agreements between the schools on how this operates, it would be routine for larger programs to raid the smaller ones for players that they "missed on" when they came out of high school.

It seems like the player here would voluntarily sit out a year, and then be free to be recruited again. The problem for him is that he can't be recruited now or be on scholarship next year during the transfer year (I think), without the release from Fordham.

Top Bottom