Gophers vs. Illinois

bigmwc

Reaction score
Nick O'Shay just drilled a 3-run homer for a 6-1 lead going into the 4th.

Needless to say, the guys have come out with much much better energy today than yesterday. Started off a little slow against Purdue, but then really turned it on and had no problems putting away the Boilermakers. The offense has looked much more settled and aggressive than yesterday. Mike Kvasnicka is also pounding the ball today, as is DMac.

Tom Buske really responded with a big performance just when we needed it. Congrats to Tommy on pitching a complete game in the Big Ten Tourney!!!!:clap::clap:

Also got off to a strong start against the Illini, who seem to be using a pitcher by committee today. We, as expected, started big Seth, who is doing his usual good job on the bump. Illinois meanwhile started Ben Reeser, who lasted one inning and then they turned the ball over to Bryan Roberts.

As I type this, the Gophers hold a 7-2 lead in the bottom of fifth. Nick O"Shea is adding to the home run derby the Gophers have going today. O'Shea has two in this game, Kvasnicka hit one against Purdue and one against Illinois and DMac also has one, which he hit against the Boilers. Good stuff so far. Hopefully, we can keep it up.

Gophers down Illinois 13-4, knocking the Illini out of the Big Ten Tourney after having defeated Purdue 12-3 to knock out the Boilers earlier in the day. As flat as the guys were yesterday, they were that sharp today.

Everything came together for the team today. Buske and Rosin were both very very good on the hill and the offense came around big-time after a disappointing day yesterday. It was even more impressive since Rosin was apparently sick this morning before the game. Meanwhile, the Gophers knocked out five homers for the day offensively. (two each for Kvasnicka and O'Shea and one for DMac).

I must say, I was surprised how easily the Gophers handled Illinois in the second game. I really like Illinois' lineup of players and how aggressive they are offensively. But to use a couple of boxing analogies, the Gophers came out and knocked down the Illini twice in the opening few innings (or rounds if you will :p) and Illinois never responded. After that, they kind of came apart at the seams and things got a little ugly the past few innings.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the Indiana-Ohio State game turns out. And in the end, I guess the tournament seedings were pretty spot on (#1 Ohio State, #2 Minnesota, and #3 Indiana being the only three teams still alive).

Top Bottom