McCallum robbed for Player of the year

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
What a joke, Burkhart had a very good year but no way did he deserve Player of the Year over Derek.

Both guys played in all 50 games

McCallum .401 avg. Burkhart .362
McCallum 79 hits Burkhart 67 hits
McCallum 46 runs scored Burkhart 45 runs scored
McCallum 12 doubles and 3 triples Burkhart 13 doubles and 3 triples
McCallum 15 Home Runs Burkhart 9 Home Runs
McCallum 72 RBI(10 more than the next guy) Burkhart 57 RBI
MCCallum .721 slugging %, .472 OB % Burkhart .611 slugging %, .435 OB %

It would be one thing if Ohio State had run away with the conference title but they won it by a half game and MN beat them 2 out fo 3 so that should have nothing to do with it.

I talked about this in the other thread about Derek being a semifinalist for national player of the year, but it bears repeating: I don't get this at all.

Burkhart had a nice year. But there was some major Ohio State loving going on with this choice. Derek is the best all-around hitter in the conference, or at least had the best year, and gets bumped out by a guy that isn't even a unanimous selection on the all-conference first team? On top of that, I don't think Burkhart is even the best CATCHER in the conference, let alone the top PLAYER in the conference.

If this is a media pick, then boy, the media has a major jones for the Buckeyes. If not, then I don't know what to say.

The rest of the all-conference picks and award winners were pretty good choices in my opinion. But Burkhart getting the nod over Derek, or even Josh Phegley, is simply baffling.

Hopefully Derek will use this as even greater incentive to have a great Big Ten tournament!

Like I said in the other thread as well. Derek was the only B10 player to be a finalist for National POY and he can 't even win the Big 10 player of the year. What a joke.

Cal Eldred is in studio for the BTN and their live coverage....he was asked about the POY and he said it's not always about numbers but the coaches probably looked at how the OSU kid handled the Buckeye pitching staff.

Yes, that vaunted OSU pitching staff.....SIXTH in the Big Ten in ERA. The third most home runs given up. Tied for the most walks issued. Impressive.

Eldred was trying to be diplomatic about it, at least I hope.:p

But yeah, the pitching staff overall at OSU isn't all that good. They won the conference title because of their offense, not because of their "excellent" pitching staff. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom