Ball State declines Humanitarian Bowl offer

metrolax

Reaction score
Would like to see this confirmed by more than one source,
but I heard Ball State has declined an offer to play Boise
State in the Humanitarian Bowl and would rather spend
the holidays in Detroit. Hhhhmmmm.......

Ball State vs Boise State would have been by far one
of the best bowl matchups and one of the most-watched.
How often does a bowl have the chance to have two
undefeated teams?

The second-guessing will commence: Boise's home field,
too far to travel, etc.

Still, it would have been great for college football, FBS
football, the MAC, and Ball State. Almost nobody but
friends and family will be watching the Motor City Bowl.

undefeated teams?

too far to travel, etc.

If Ball State wins tomorrow aren't they contractually obligated to the Motor City Bowl? I don't think they have choice to turn that down. The Motor City Bowl is where the MAC Champ automatically goes.

True enough, but....

......deals are made all the time. Many are made during bowl
season.

Its a shame- would have been a phenomenal game.

undefeated teams?

too far to travel, etc.

it would be great for the MAC and ball state if they won. if they lost, casual college football fans--which makes up a lot of college football fans, would claim that they were overrated and use it as a cudgel with which to beat future MAC teams wanting a shop at BCS bowls.

I'd love to see Boise St vs Ball St. They need to make it happen.

Why doesn't Boise State head to Detroit if they're so eager for this match-up? There's an at-large spot and it's a neutral field.

I wouldn't watch the Boise State-Ball State game in Idaho anyway. That blue field gives me a headache.

Ball State

Ball State has rejected the Truck Stop Bowl (Humanitarian).BSU has investigated coming to Detroit while exchanging the WAC position in the Hummer Bowl with the B10. Now they plan to go to San Diego for the Poinsettia Bowl against TCU.

The Blue turf has a great foot feel, soft with great footing, very long field turf. Better weather than Detroit (this game is outdoors). May be last year for this bowl because fans don't show up if BSU isn't playing. I hate BSU, a JC with a blue field. No academic standing at all.

Now they plan to go to San Diego for the Poinsettia Bowl against TCU.

That is why Boise State had no interest in going to Detroit. If Ball State wanted to play in the H-Bowl, great. But the fallback was always a matchup with TCU in San Diego, which is what the Boise players preferred, anyway.

I don't care who we play -- I am looking forward to watching the Motor City Bowl just to get the bad taste from the last 4 games out of my mouth.

I am also looking forward to seeing if we made any changes in our offensive line blocking schemes or if we use a fullback on 3rd and short.

It's also one last chance to see our senior play who deserve to go out on a good note after all they have been through the last couple years!

Ball State wants the Bailout Bowl!!!!

Yes, I just made that up.

This is a situation where.....

...the systematic overcommitment of bowl games gets in the
way. You've got games locked into the #6 of that league vs the
#5 of this league.

I'd love for one bowl to simply not commit to any tie-ins. They
can leave themselves open for this type of scenario. Might
be unrealistic with all the inertia that there is, but it would work.

I'm a fan of bowl games. I love to watch the match-ups. However,
this is one matchup that everyone would have loved seeing.

I think for smaller conferences, there seems to be a little more leeway as far as bowl tie-ins. At least that's the feeling I'm getting. If they wanted Ball State and Boise State could play in one of the bowl games. It sounds like they're basically choosing not to. That's disappointing.

it would be great for the MAC and ball state if they won. if they lost, casual college football fans--which makes up a lot of college football fans, would claim that they were overrated and use it as a cudgel with which to beat future MAC teams wanting a shop at BCS bowls.

I don't think that losing to Boise State would harm Ball State at all. If they lost the Motor City Bowl against whatever at-large team comes in, that would reflect badly on them. Perhaps Ball State just wants an undefeated season, and playing an at-large team in the MCB helps them get that. But their undefeated season would mean a lot more if they played a stronger opponent.

Or perhaps Ball State is balking at Boise State on Boise State's home field.

Ball State would not be the first team to refuse to play in the Humanitarian Bowl. They join a long list of teams that have had no interest in playing in this odd, small stadium in Idaho in the middle of winter, often against the stadium's owner. UCLA actually declined after being officially invited to the Humanitarian Bowl.

Peoples perceptions of bowl games are interesting. The Humanitarian is not the biggest joke among bowl games, but it is close. For several years it was a total joke. The Motor City Bowl, meanwhile, is actually nowwhere near the bottom of the bowl pecking-order, and never really has been.

I would bet the Motor City Bowl has their eye on Notre Dame.

I don't think that losing to Boise State would harm Ball State at all. If they lost the Motor City Bowl against whatever at-large team comes in, that would reflect badly on them. Perhaps Ball State just wants an undefeated season, and playing an at-large team in the MCB helps them get that. But their undefeated season would mean a lot more if they played a stronger opponent.

Or perhaps Ball State is balking at Boise State on Boise State's home field.
perhaps--but to the casual football fan it would be bad. mid majors can't afford to loose--especially to other mid majors.

Top Bottom