Timberwolves choices

march madness

Reaction score
Now that we know they pick 6th, who do you like? I have heard DeRozen, but to me he is alot like Corey Brewer. I would favor Tyreke Evans at the point with Randy Foye at shooting guard. I also hope we can pick up a center project like bj mullens with one of the later picks. We really need a shot blocking center or a pg, we are loaded with sg-sf-pf on this team.

Evans or DeRozan

I think Brewer will be/is a bust. Get DeRozan if you feel you can get an actual point guard with the second pick (maybe Raynor or Flynn) or sign Andre Miller in the off-season. Or take Evans and let Foye play the 2 since he obviously has no clue how to pass the ball.

Torn between........

Curry and Tyreke. I really think Curry is a can't miss scorer who can also distribute, and Evans has the size to be a dominate point, but I'm leary of his entourage.....ala O.J. Mayo.

We'd be lucky to get a player who averages 18 pts/game in his rookie season.

The only people who have to worry about O.J.'s "entourage" at this point are Tim Floyd and USC. He's always been a good kid from what I understand who was thrust into an unbelievable spotlight as a 13 year old. I remember people telling me about the "kid from Rose Hill" when he was in Middle School. I don't think anything that happened in high school or college has any bearing on his NBA career. I still don't understand what the Twolves were thinking outside of a salary dump. No offense to Kevin Love but Mayo has the chance to be an All-NBA guard.

I wouldn't mind some type of trade to get Thabeet just because he has upside and we really need a big center. Plus you already know he can rebound and play defense and it wouldn't be all that bad if his offense is never great because at least he can stay out of Al's way then. Otherwise a pg would be good. We could obviously use one. I'm going to be pissed if we end up getting a project like Mullens who is never going to be good or a bunch of picks at positions we don't need.

For anyone not paying attention, Love was 9th in total rebounds/game, but he was 3rd in rebounds per 48 minutes played. He was also a beast on the offensive glass, coming in 2nd in offensive rebounds/game, despite averaging only 25 minutes (tied with Okafor for 2nd, who averaged almost 33 mins/game).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stati...2009&seasontype=2&seasontype=2&avg=pg&pos=all

Scoring?

Mayo had 18.5 ppg in 38 minutes (about 23 points/48 minutes)
Love had 11.1 ppg in 25 minutes (about 20 points/48 minutes)

For anyone not paying attention, Love was 9th in total rebounds/game, but he was 3rd in rebounds per 48 minutes played. He was also a beast on the offensive glass, coming in 2nd in offensive rebounds/game, despite averaging only 25 minutes (tied with Okafor for 2nd, who averaged almost 33 mins/game).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/stati...2009&seasontype=2&seasontype=2&avg=pg&pos=all

Scoring?

Thank You!!!

I think Tyreke Evans is under-rated. 6'6" 220 player who can play 3 positions. Weakness is outside shot. Lebron was poor 3 point shooter when he entered the league also. Tyreke can get to the rim at will. In the NBA that's what really counts. Is Thabeet worth trading up for? Do you take a chance on Jennings? Is Jennings the next Sabastian Telfair? I'd rather take Lawson or Maynor late in the first. Maybe we can trade one of the late 1sts for a future draft with more depth?

Scoring?

I'm sure he'll do well on your fantasy team. He's a nice PF (his natural position), a starter/role player who rebounds extremely well because he knows position and understands the nuances of rebounding. But he's still a player with low level athleticism who will struggle offensively and defensively when paired alongside Al Jefferson and even if he weren't he's still weak in post up situations, he struggles to put the ball on the floor and one of the main components of his game in college (his outside shooting) has shown to be ineffective thus far. He's a piece but he's not "the piece".

O.J. Mayo strikes me as a poor man's Vince Carter-he'll put up great stats, give you a few highlights, but he doesn't seem like a winner to me. As for his character, I have a tough time getting past <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RKoXNToOnk&feature=related" target="blank" >this</a>

I'd like to see the T-Wolves package their #6 pick and a later first round pick, perhaps a player, to move up to that #2 slot to get Rubio. Even if they had a GM in place, it might be next to impossible, but I recall in Bill Simmons' column from earlier this year that Memphis was a team with some money issues. . .it would sure be nice to be able to exploit that (although Memphis would seemingly be getting one of two players in this draft who would inspire ticket sales in Rubio)

What I mean about Mayo is.........

he has some mustard on himself. He strikes me as a "me first," guy....and he won't stay in Memphis beyond his required 3/4 years. He's looking for a bigger stage, and I'm not sure he's going to be great anyway. I don't see him as future all star.

Curry. He's already an NBA caliber shooter. That can't be said about anyone else in the draft. Plus he can play point.

O.J. Mayo strikes me as a poor man's Vince Carter-he'll put up great stats, give you a few highlights, but he doesn't seem like a winner to me. As for his character, I have a tough time getting past <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RKoXNToOnk&feature=related" target="blank" >this</a>

I remember thinking that OJ Mayo was a bad kid and was someone who has bad character, but I don't think that is actually the case. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing him ever complain to officials or draw any type of negative attention towards himself in the NBA or college. IMO he has proven to a lot of people that he is a better and smarter person than people originally thought. Either people were always wrong about him, or he has matured a lot in a short period of time, or maybe it's a combination of both.

I remember thinking that OJ Mayo was a bad kid and was someone who has bad character, but I don't think that is actually the case. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing him ever complain to officials or draw any type of negative attention towards himself in the NBA or college. IMO he has proven to a lot of people that he is a better and smarter person than people originally thought. Either people were always wrong about him, or he has matured a lot in a short period of time, or maybe it's a combination of both.

I agree on his character. I'm still upset they traded him, but Love's very good rookie season made me feel better. I still don't think you trade away a guy who has the potential to be one of the top-5 players in the league for a guy like Love, even though, like I said and was pointed out earlier, he had an excellent year with the Wolves.

I just wonder why we would draft Chalmers, a steal for that pick, and then trade him. We really could have used him. And then we get some European guy who just signed a 2 year deal and said he hates the NBA. Hopefully the days of drafting international players who never actually play with us are over. Although with zero good candidates left for GM, who knows. I still wish they'd at least interview Simmons.

Most of the mock drafts I've seen have the T-Wolves taking a SG/SF like Harden or DeRozen. Now, if the concern is about entourage..DeRozen's is probably far worse. That kid was brokered as a commodity from about 15 years on. His brothers actually got into a fist fight over his choice of AAU team.

If the T-Wolves do draft Harden I think it's a huge mistake. Not because Harden can't be a good pro but because they could have kept Mayo, probably ended up with a similar record, and then plugged in this season via draft a better complimentary frontline piece to Jefferson like Thabeet or Jordan Hill. You won't get the rebounding that you'd get with Kevin Love but you'd get better and more athletic defenders with (especially in the case of Jordan Hill) tremendous offensive potential.

I agree

I just wonder why we would draft Chalmers, a steal for that pick, and then trade him. We really could have used him. And then we get some European guy who just signed a 2 year deal and said he hates the NBA. Hopefully the days of drafting international players who never actually play with us are over.

I totally agree -- losing Chalmers bothers me and the Wolves drafting of international players always seems like a longshot that never pays off.

Perhaps I'm a blind optimist, but I still believe the Wolves have talent and a very good foundation. Chemistry is a funny thing in basketball, sometimes a slight change can make a team click. The great thing about the NBA draft is there is always that chance of finding the right fit to the puzzle.

Good luck Wolves.

I just wonder why we would draft Chalmers, a steal for that pick, and then trade him. We really could have used him.

McFail made the deal w/ Miami to draft and trade Chalmers when the draft was late in the first round and it looked like the OJ Mayo deal wasn't going to happen, so we already had our SG.

It sucks because we essentially gave away Chalmers for nothing ... a second round pick, big deal...a guy like Chalmers isn't going to be available next time we pick in the second round.

I feel sorry for the team that drafts Curry. The guy has NBA bust written all over him. Sure he has a sweet shot and lighting fast release but he is so slightly built. I know he was close to the top of the leader board in PPG last year for the NCAA but Davidson entire system was set picks for Curry and let him shot. Look what Purdue did to him, he didn't score for quite a long time to start the game.

And I will go on the record saying that if it wasn't for the amazing run Davidson put together(as well as single handedly ruining my bracket) in the 2008 NCAA Tourney Curry wouldn't even be drafted.

I'm sure he'll do well on your fantasy team. He's a nice PF (his natural position), a starter/role player who rebounds extremely well because he knows position and understands the nuances of rebounding. But he's still a player with low level athleticism who will struggle offensively and defensively when paired alongside Al Jefferson and even if he weren't he's still weak in post up situations, he struggles to put the ball on the floor and one of the main components of his game in college (his outside shooting) has shown to be ineffective thus far. He's a piece but he's not "the piece".

KLove is the absolute perfect complement offensively to Al Jefferson. I honestly have trouble naming 1 other young post player in the NBA who would be a better complement. His ability to play the high post, stick the mid range jumper, pass the ball, and crash the offensive boards will make he and Al simply deadly together. We don't want another low post player fighting Al for the left block and clogging everything up. Defensively, they will leave something to be desired. That's why acquiring a shot blocking center should be a serious priority for the Wolves.

I think that Mayo is highly overrated. He's an undersized 2 guard with average athleticism for his position. He was able to average 18 pts per game on a terrible team that allowed him to dominate the ball and jack shots with impunity. Congratulations. He has absolutely no chance at being a top 5 player in the league like someone claimed earlier.

Love is a highly efficient player and a proven winner. Mayo is neither.

And I will go on the record saying that if it wasn't for the amazing run Davidson put together(as well as single handedly ruining my bracket) in the 2008 NCAA Tourney Curry wouldn't even be drafted.

That's a ridiculous claim. Four hot games don't elevate someone from undrafted to the top ten. Don't fall into the trap of judging someone from one poor game he had against your favorite team. The kid can play and will make shots in the NBA.

Hmmmmm

Are you talking about Larry Bird or Kevin Love?

I feel sorry for the team that drafts Curry. The guy has NBA bust written all over him. Sure he has a sweet shot and lighting fast release but he is so slightly built. I know he was close to the top of the leader board in PPG last year for the NCAA but Davidson entire system was set picks for Curry and let him shot. Look what Purdue did to him, he didn't score for quite a long time to start the game.

There are plenty of guys in the NBA who have been successful despite rail thin builds. Tayshon Prince, Reggie Miller, and Rip Hamilton come to mind immediately. Davidson set up plays for Curry -no doubt. But defenses put two guys on him as well. He'll score in the NBA.

My board:
Griffin
Rubio
Harden
Thabeet
Evans
Jennings
DeRozen

No, I don't expect Griffin or Rubio to be available, but any of the others might.

Top Bottom