Speaking of tearing out The Barn floor...

GopherRock

GopherHole Straw Boss
Reaction score
...the deed is either done or well on it's way there.

Walking by the place this afternoon, and the sections of the floor are stacked in 4' x 8' pieces in the Oak Street lobby.

And no, this was not by design. You can tell the Skil saws have been hard at work.

Yep, floor is being replaced.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs...cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Posted on May 19th, 2009 – 11:19 AM
By Michael Rand

In case you didn’t know, the floor at Williams Arena is being replaced this off-season for the first time in 81 years. Yes, nothing like a once-every-eight-decades sprucing up for the ol’ Barn. There is a media tour of the process today, and men’s basketball beat writer Myron Medcalf will have some details later right here.

For now, though, we offer a couple of questions for you:

1) The raised floor at Williams Arena sparks some debate — or at least some curiosity — whenever outsiders take a look at it. Along with the support beams and sometimes awkward navigation, the building is certainly a throwback. Do you like it, or do you think the U of M should investigate a new facility in the near future?

2) Pieces of the 81-year-old Williams Arena floor would have to rank up among some of the more interesting pieces of Twin Cities sports memorabilia. What are some others you can think of?

**sorry, didn't notice it posted elsewhere

Sounds like the new floor will look just like the old one. I'm a bit surprised by that.

It's called tradition. And I don't want a debate with G4L on the elevated floor. I have seen opposing players look over the edge in fear. And the only person I remember getting hurt was T Winter who broke his arm in practice and I will bet you anything he wouldn't change the elevated floor.

I'm a little disapointed that they are keeping the Gold Gopher logo in center court. I was hoping that they would have switched to it the block M.

sadly...

I was hoping they would raise the floor another 6 inches just to throw off the big ten teams that had adjusted to its height!

To the raised floor: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dirt floor raised too?

From the video it appears that the floor rested directly on a dirt foundation that was also raised higher than the lowest seating area. I always imagined that the floor was set on an elaborate truss system to properly distribute weight and gave the floor it's spring and dead zones. Recently, someone suggested there were actual springs supporting the floor and that fit in with the idea of a truss support system.

Does anyone know if the replacement floor will use newer technologies to improve it's performance?

I'm a little disapointed that they are keeping the Gold Gopher logo in center court. I was hoping that they would have switched to it the block M.

I thought that they would put a block M as well. The U seems to be pushing that as the main logo now. I even heard they were trying to phase out Goldy wearing every sports uniforms and have a general looking Goldy. That was a couple years ago and haven't heard anything since.

Where have you guys seen a photo or drawing of the newly installed court?

I have not, but if you watch the above video, he talks specifically about how the court will look exactly the same, right down the the Goldy Gopher in the middle. They also talk about having a concrete slab, rather than dirt/sand under the floor for added performance...though I doubt the floor will be as "springy" because of it, in my opinion...

I like Goldy in the middle, though I figure I'm in the minority on that.

Top Bottom