Preseason Metro Top 10

Gopher10

Reaction score
1. Hopkins

Expectations could not be higher for the Royals.

2. Henry Sibley

Last season's state runner-up is tall and talented.

3. Cooper

All five starters are back from 23-9 state tournament team.

4. Osseo

6-9 Gonzaga recruit Sam Dower is the top returnee for Orioles.

5. Minnetonka

Defending state champions have some holes to fill.

6. Minneapolis Washburn (3A)

U football signee Ra'Shede Hageman, right, also hoops.

7. Tartan

Tradition is a powerful asset for the Titans.

8. St. Paul Johnson (3A)

Governors always contend.

9. Apple Valley

Four returning starters inspire optimism.

10. Cretin-Derham Hall

Lots of football talent now on the hardwood.

Finally my Alta Mater finally get some respect for 2009 year...Go Hawks!

Hopkins #1 is obvious, Sibley at #2 should be as well, they are the only team I can see who can possibly beat the Royals, they have a huge advantage inside but will need to have some inexerienced guards step up. I would put Washburn at #3 with Martin, Hale, and Hageman. Cooper and St. Paul Johnson would be the top 5.

I caught the Cretin-Derham Hall vs Eden Prairie game Thursday night ... f<shudder>inal score was 59-73 IIRC. (At one point EP was up by 20.) CDH was within six at the half but just didn't have the horsepower in the second half.

CDH is going to have a rebuilding year, I fear. It made me realize how much Michael Floyd and John Nance contributed to the team last year.

CDH has a nice Sophomore guard ... Raijon Kelly (Arvesta's grandson, I believe). He's going to be growing into the job this year. (And I hear they've got a pretty good B-Squad some of whom will contribute next year ... or maybe later this year.) They've also got a kid named Gus Gehlen (I think) who has a fairly quick release and sank some long distance shots.

But this year's team has a lot of work to do if they're going to be in the top 10 ... I have a lot of respect for Marcus Binns and Seantrel Henderson but even they had some ragged play.

StevenMgr was there so he may have a different take
</shudder>

Henderson had a really rough night. They sat him the last 9+ minutes because he didn't play well. Kelly was terrific, definitely keep an eye on him down the road. EP got the lead to 23 at one point before Kelly tried to start a run. The fact that CDH was within 6 at the half was a miracle. If it wasn't for Gehlen's shooting and Wragge going 0-7, that 6 point lead would have been worse.

There's enough talent there that they'll still compete for the Suburban East title, but watch out next year. With Clay Horne and Henderson up front and Gehlen, Kelly and Elliot Owusu, they'll have a very good lineup next year.

tchoopsczar,

I was a bit surprised at how the refs were letting a lot of physical play go without calls. I figured at first that they weren't going to call too much since it's early in the season but it also seemed like they called the game more tightly at times in the second half. However, they seemed consistent in terms of calling the game evenly between the teams ... just not that evenly over the course of the game.

BTW, anyone who is willing to take a charge from Seantrel is either very brave or very foolhardy. Probably both.

Top Bottom