Next Athletics Dept. Project

MrGopher

The Anti-Sioux
Reaction score
So, now that we've got our shiny new football stadium, what are the next projects for the athletic department going to focus on? Im looking for facts, rumors, opinions...

I know that the U is planning some major renovations/expansions for the Rec Center (including Cooke Hall renovations, and possibly a West Bank rec center/gym).

But is there anything relating to our varsity sports???

New Baseball Park (Major Renovation of Siebert)??
Basketball Practice Facility??
New Indoor Track?? (the field house is nearing its end)
anything else??

So, now that we've got our shiny new football stadium, what are the next projects for the athletic department going to focus on? Im looking for facts, rumors, opinions...

I know that the U is planning some major renovations/expansions for the Rec Center (including Cooke Hall renovations, and possibly a West Bank rec center/gym).

But is there anything relating to our varsity sports???

New Baseball Park (Major Renovation of Siebert)??
Basketball Practice Facility??
New Indoor Track?? (the field house is nearing its end)
anything else??

i think the two big ones (honestly the only ones i care about) will go in this order:

1.) siebert field renovations - which are badly needed (very near future). hopefully the good season they are having will speed up this particular project as well as the accompanying donations for it.

2.) a new practice/training facility for the men's basketball team that is attached to williams (not too long after siebert field)

Will Sierbert be renovated or rebuilt? I thought I had heard they will demolish it and start over, but I could be wrong.

Will Sierbert be renovated or rebuilt? I thought I had heard they will demolish it and start over, but I could be wrong.

They are completely building a new baseball stadium. the old one will be no more.

Does anybody know where the new stadium is supposed to be built? I would assume it's somewhere around where Siebert Field is, but does anybody know for sure?

Thanks in advance!!!

Does anybody know where the new stadium is supposed to be built? I would assume it's somewhere around where Siebert Field is, but does anybody know for sure?

Thanks in advance!!!

It going to be right on the same spot as Siebert field is sitting on now, at least that what i heard.

I heard the baseball stadium was going to go across the street from Mariucci and kiddie corner from TCF Bank. That's what I heard....would be a nice spot minus the taking away of tailgating lots, but at least its in a spot where people actually can see that we have a baseball team.

I heard the baseball stadium was going to go across the street from Mariucci and kiddie corner from TCF Bank. That's what I heard....would be a nice spot minus the taking away of tailgating lots, but at least its in a spot where people actually can see that we have a baseball team.

yeah because it is so hard to walk a block and a half from university ave. to where siebert field is right now ;)

That was the hope but that would've delayed the project for a number of years so they decided to put it in the same place as the old Siebert.

The baseball stdium will go right on top of the current stadium, the only major difference is it will be reversed. The entrance and home plate will be where center field currently is. Originally they wanted to build some grand entrace to both baseball and softball but not sure if there is money for that. They alos want people to park in the ramps.

As ofr overall athletic department projects, baseball stadium is #1, then basketball practice facility, and a new wrestling room.

The baseball stdium will go right on top of the current stadium, the only major difference is it will be reversed. The entrance and home plate will be where center field currently is. Originally they wanted to build some grand entrace to both baseball and softball but not sure if there is money for that. They alos want people to park in the ramps.

As ofr overall athletic department projects, baseball stadium is #1, then basketball practice facility, and a new wrestling room.

Johnny,

Do you have any idea how fund raising is coming for the new Sibert? Or any clue about design? I know they were supposed to come up with graphics but never saw anything.

Sounds great!! Where did you hear/read this, if I might ask......?

The only problem is we are running out of room on the campus.

I think need wise, it should be baseball first but the money that basketball brings in and talent it would entice to come here that basketball should go first.

There is a drawing of the new stadium in this years media guide, not sure if they have it online. Haven't heard anything on fundraising yet but Coach Anderson has been waiting for this for 15 years so I'm sure he has a good plan in place. I was talking to maturi at a game a month ago and thats what he said plus i had heard the same from a member of the coaching staff.

Do you have a media guide and could you possible post a picture?? I am REALLY curious what they have in their minds.

Not that you wouldn't believe Johnny, but that is what I heard from someone who is close to John and Fornasiere (sp?). They will just flip the field around. Also, I think there is money to put some practice type baseball facility there as well and it will become the "headquarters" for the baseball team.

After seeing Penn St.'s field on BTN, wow is Siebert embarrassing.

Penn State was gorgeous. How much did they spend?? I doubt we'll spend as much but a scaled down version of that would be sweet. I'm not holding my breath for something that nice. Anything is an improvement though.

Penn State Park

Is an exact replica, scaled down, of the stadium in Pittsburgh, and the Pirates A team plays there in the summer. There must have been a deal between the pro team and PSU. The Saints are looking for a new park. One wonders why they could not team up with the Gophers, since such a samll portion of the seasons intersect.

Is an exact replica, scaled down, of the stadium in Pittsburgh, and the Pirates A team plays there in the summer. There must have been a deal between the pro team and PSU. The Saints are looking for a new park. One wonders why they could not team up with the Gophers, since such a samll portion of the seasons intersect.

I think that your idea is worth looking into, but i have my doubts that something like that will actually happen. First of all, I think the Saints are more or less bound to St. Paul, meaning that they would have to play within city limits or at least a St. Paul suburb. They wouldn't play on the Mpls campus.

I have no authority on the matter, but i doubt that the gopher baseball team wants to have their ballpark in st. paul, even if it were on the st. paul campus. I dont see it happening.

Also, the saints are not connected to a major league ballclub, which is where a good portion of the revenue would come from. The Saints do not provide the same link to the majors that the pirates' A team did for PSU.

Penn State was gorgeous. How much did they spend?? I doubt we'll spend as much but a scaled down version of that would be sweet. I'm not holding my breath for something that nice. Anything is an improvement though.

Penn State/State College Spikes spent 31.5 million on the stadium. A few years back (granted this is 2002 prices) but Missouri did their 2,500 seat stadium for 2.1 million.

Penn State/State College Spikes spent 31.5 million on the stadium. A few years back (granted this is 2002 prices) but Missouri did their 2,500 seat stadium for 2.1 million.

Wow, 31+ million. I know ours will be nothing like that.

Top Bottom