U honors former Gopher, Clyde Turner, with Dean’s Outstanding Achievement Award

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from David Shama, as well as a few other Gopher hoops tid-bits on Barnes and Mbakwe:

Former Gophers basketball star Clyde Turner will be honored tonight at an award presentation at the University of Minnesota. He will receive the Dean’s Outstanding Achievement Award from the College of Education and Human Development. Turner has devoted his professional career to family and children advocacy while working in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. “Every time a young voice speaks, a more mature ear should listen and hear,” he said. Turner was a forward on the Gophers 1972 Big Ten championship team.

No. 1 Recruit Barnes Likes Gophers

Harrison Barnes, the Ames, Iowa No. 1 ranked small forward in the class of 2010, told Sports Headliners recently that the Gophers are of equal interest to him as the other 11 college basketball programs on his list of prospective schools. Barnes is ranked No. 1 at his position by both Scout.com and Rivals.com.

Barnes, a 6-6 forward, recently narrowed his list of colleges to 12 including perennial basketball powers Kansas, Duke and Kentucky. Minnesota is the only Big Ten school on the list.

Barnes said he’s “developed a relationship” with Gophers' coach Tubby Smith. He’s impressed with Smith’s accomplishments as head coach at Kentucky and Minnesota. At Kentucky Smith had 10 consecutive NCAA tournament teams including a national champion. He coached the Gophers to the NCAA tournament this past season, only his second at Minnesota where he inherited a losing program.

Smith’s personality is admired by Barnes. “He’s very down to earth," Barnes said. "That’s what I like about him.”

Barnes is slender (about 205 pounds) but athletic, with impressive offensive ability that includes ball handling, driving, and shooting three pointers. He averaged 19.8 points and 8.8 rebounds per game last season in high school, according to Rivals.com.

Barnes is interested in business, so academics are important in making his college choice. He wants to choose a program, too, that he believes can contend for a national championship.

Would Barnes consider leaving college early for the NBA? “My plan is to go there (to his school) and get a degree, and if the opportunity to go pro arises, I will address that when it happens, but right now I am going there for four years,” he said.

Barnes, who was at Bloomington Jefferson High School last weekend for an AAU tournament, is friends with 2009 incoming Gophers recruits Royce White and Rodney Williams. The three are similar heights, in the 6-5 to 6-7 range, but Barnes said a log-jam of talent wouldn’t deter a decision to choose the Gophers. Good players “adapt,” according to Barnes.

He’s grown up in Iowa so cold weather is not new to him, or reason to be negative about Minneapolis. “Not a problem at all,” he said.

Mbwake Didn’t Consider NBA Draft

Trevor Mbwake said he had no part in speculation this spring that he would declare for the June NBA draft and never play for the Gophers. Mbwake, a junior college transfer from Miami Dade, is expected to provide the Gophers with rebounding and a physical presence around the basket next season.

At about 6-8, 240 pounds, Mbwake averaged over 12 rebounds at Dade. He was the conference player of the year and helped his team win the league championship. He frequently was in double figures in rebounds and scoring, twice being named National Junior College Athletic Association Player of the Week. The former Saint Bernard’s and Henry Sibley prep played for Marquette before transferring to Miami Dade.

NBA scouts will be curious to see how his rebounding and scoring develop with the Gophers. Mbwake told Sports Headliners leaving the Gophers after next season is a possibility.

“It depends on how my season goes,” he said. “Like coach Smith told me, if the opportunity ever came, that he has no problem with me leaving. So however my season goes I’ll sit down at the end of the year with coach Smith and my family, and we’ll come up with the best decision for me.”

His decision to declare for the draft will be influenced, too, by how successful the Gophers are next season and prospects for the 2010-11 season. He wants to be part of a Big Ten championship team and a deep run in the NCAA tournament.

Mbwake, of course, will have to earn a position in the starting lineup to probably earn serious consideration by NBA scouts. Smith hasn’t filled out his lineup card yet for next season and is famous for using a lot of his players. Mbwake said he’s not concerned about starting. “As long as we’re winning, I am happy,” he said.

Mbwake wants to see the Gophers restart their winning tradition and is impressed with how Smith has transformed a lowly program into one that’s nationally ranked for next season. He likes the possibility the Gophers might become popular enough to sellout all of their games.

“That would be wonderful," Mbwake said. "I love playing (in front of) big crowds.”

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers

Top Bottom