So if this is our best start in 32 years...

From the Barn

Reaction score
What was up 32 years ago? Who did we play, who were the players. Old-timers, step up!

What was up 32 years ago? Who did we play, who were the players. Old-timers, step up!

Barn...check out this website. It is a must for any Gopher fan. I've linked the 1975-76 season in which we started 8-0. We started 11-0 in 1976-77 but forfeited the entire season because Mychal Thompson sold his player tickets.

But this site has results for every year.

http://ericthrall.com/gophers/basketball/1975-1976/

Eric Thrall's site is the best resource for Gopher football and basketball history. Here's the link to the season in question: click

edit: Ah, I see tj's beat me to it ... but linked the wrong season :p Gophers had 11 wins (North Dakota State, @ Detroit, Northern Michigan, @ Nebraska, Vermont, @ Marquette, Kansas State, Cornell and Montana at the local Pillsbury Classic Tournament, Iowa and @ Illinois) before suffering their first loss in OT at Purdue.

Snowman- I love that site and it's on my favorites list. The question I have everytime I hit that site is this: Why doesn't gophersports.com have this type of historical information? They shoudl pay this gentleman for the organization of the data and incorporate it.

I know the website well. I just thought there'd be a few folks here who would have stories about that season.

Snowman- I love that site and it's on my favorites list. The question I have everytime I hit that site is this: Why doesn't gophersports.com have this type of historical information? They shoudl pay this gentleman for the organization of the data and incorporate it.
It's clearly a labor of love.

I enjoy looking at some of the scores and schedules from the "old days." For example, during WWII I saw that we played the "Iowa Seahawks" and discovered that it was a team composed of prospective naval aviators who were training in Iowa City. We also played the "Great Lakes Naval Training Center" and apparently both of those teams were included in the conference for scheduling purposes in both basketball and football.

And in the 36-37 season we tied Illinois for the Conference championship at 10-2. But we never played Illinois (nor Indiana nor Michigan; Michigan State wasn't part of the conference but Chicago was). Gophers averaged 34.15 points per game and held their opponents to an average of 27.15 points. A fore-runner to Tubby's defensive style!

Wasn't that the year

that we were up on Marquette like 40-18 (or some such) at the half? And didn't Al McQuire proclaim the Gophs to be the best in the country right before they (Marquette) won it all?

That was the 76-77 season...Marquette ended up going on to win the national title, and the Gophers were left out of the tournament all together due to the Thompson issue.

That was the 76-77 season...Marquette ended up going on to win the national title, and the Gophers were left out of the tournament all together due to the Thompson issue.

I think we were actually already on probation (from Musselman) and would not have been in the NCAA tourney even had Thompson not sold his comp tickets. Thompson selling his comp tickets just forced us to be forfeit the victories and proclaim an 0-27 on the season. Our actual record was 24-3. I am pretty sure that we knew we'd be ineligible for the post-season even before that season began.

Thanks for the site guys! I was unaware of it completely, but I'm going to be a frequent visitor from now on. I'm a big sports history buff, so I like it when I can learn about sites like this. Thanks!

Best start

According to the same website, if they go undefeated in the Noncon they will have the best start since the 1948-1949 season when they went 13-0 before loosing to Ill. (They were perfect at home that season at the Barn.) So if the manage to handle Mich St and Ohio St at home to start the B10 season, they will indeed have the greatest start in school history, including vacated games/seasons!!! And it is really possible, wow! But let's not get ahead of ourselves...

I think we were actually already on probation (from Musselman) and would not have been in the NCAA tourney even had Thompson not sold his comp tickets. Thompson selling his comp tickets just forced us to be forfeit the victories and proclaim an 0-27 on the season. Our actual record was 24-3. I am pretty sure that we knew we'd be ineligible for the post-season even before that season began.

That was the best Gopher team of all time. Can anyone tell me who the coach for The University of Detroit was

"Can anyone tell me who the coach for The University of Detroit was?"

Dick Vitale?

OK sports fans....what Hall of Fame coach did NOT come to Minnesota because a blizzard knocked out phone lines so the U of M could not contact him to become Coach of the Gophers?

Barn Wins!!!! If you like Coaching Philosophy...read his book: THEY CALL ME COACH.

Dickie V is correct. Can't get much past this board.

Barn Wins!!!! If you like Coaching Philosophy...read his book: THEY CALL ME COACH.

Two tidbits. Over 90% of his players graduated with UCLA degree(s). He coached there 27 years.

And 60% of his players spent 1 or 2 years in JuCo before coming to UCLA to play basketball. Mostly California community colleges but still JuCo.

Top Bottom