BTN strikes again: No TV on Saturday

skoalvikings

Reaction score
How the heck is this game not on TV? I understand road games not being on, but home games? I thought that was the point of the BTN? Not only do we get the world's worst announcing teams, but now we can't even watch the games? I see that two more nonconference games are on ESPNU, which very few of us get. What an absolute joke.

Road games would be more likely to be on TV. You can always buy a ticket if you really want to see the Gophers.

And shouldn't it be ESPNU strikes again?

ESPN has first dibs ... but putting (or DUMPING) the game to ESPN 360 is a really lame move. Mr Delany has already been sent an email. How the BTN negtiated the rights to ESPN which allows these types of moves to be made needs to be continually questioned. Give me back Midwest Sports Channel!! (in HD of course -:)

I'm beginning to wonder if the BTN is going to survive more than a few years. Obviously, it's a great money-maker for the schools for now. But can it continue (or start) to bring in the money that it needs to pay out? The on-air talent and shows that aren't games are awful and the network is creating havoc with game scheduling. The talent may get better and we all may become more comfortable with scheduling (if games actually begin to air more frequently). But the biggest question I have is how long it will take for fans from outside Big Ten country to begin watching regularly.

ESPN has become the place that sports fans go to casually see if there's a game on. That is habit, and habits can change. But not many people will leave ESPN's college highlights (and see promotions for upcoming games) to watch the BTN's version. And if you're from SEC-land surfing around to find a basketball game on a Saturday afternoon, if you happen to check out BTN you're just as likely to see a replay of a women's soccer game. The more that happens, the less likely they are to return. Right now, the only reason to watch the BTN is if you know there's a specific game on you want to see -- you have to be a fan of one of the teams. I don't really see that changing anytime soon, and that's not a recipe for long-term success.

I for one love BTN. BTT is a great show and I like watching it. I agree though, the women's soccer, field hockey, etc is a joke. BTN is always going to have problems competing with ESPN for viewer interest because there are only 11 teams in the conference so there are only so many hours that you can show live games.

Yes, BTN needs to renegotiate with ESPN to give ESPN first dibs if it is on ABC, ESPN, or ESPN2. But nobody has ESPN 360 or ESPNU so BTN gets priority over those channels.

And for football games I could go in to the 700's (on Comcast) and choose between the games to watch a non featured game. For instance, in the non-conference games I could choose to watch Illinois choking against Louisiana Lafayette instead of watching Michigan lose Utah when Mich./Utah game was the featured game on BTN. It functioned the same as ESPN college game day does which was awesome. Why don't they use those channels for basketball so that we can choose our game?

Road games would be more likely to be on TV. You can always buy a ticket if you really want to see the Gophers.

And shouldn't it be ESPNU strikes again?

Incorrect--the home team controls the TV, so a nonconference road game (see CSU) might end up on a channel you can't get.

All we've heard is how the BTN is going to allow all the games to be on TV--ESPN360 doesn't count as TV, ESPNU barely counts.

I disagree. The trend is actually more specialized programming. How many cooking, diy, and science channels are there now? Technology has changed the game, production of content is becoming less expensive and the middle men (broadcast networks) are getting cut out. This is allowing the content providers to grab more of the revenue and control. The future will be one without broadcast networks with content providers being able to go directly to the public. Its happening in music to the record compaines now. Look on the web people are broadcasting out of their homes (lifecasting), content providers are starting to experiment with tidal tv, etc.. Companies that controlled the limited transmission vehicles, thus having leverage and control are being gone around due to the web. Look at newspapers, phone companies, all exerted control due to control of the expensive delivery networks required. . .they are all being destroyed. The BTN will change, but the concept is correct. They are a content provider and should look to cut out the middle man and get directly to the people. It won't be long and TV's will stream their content directly from the web and it will interact much like TV's act today. Meaning you won't have to find a web page click on things and then the stream goes to the TV. . . .the TV will know where the streaming is and you can flip through streams like you are flipping through channels. I actually see the BTN main focus will be through internet broadcasting through a subscription basis.

If tickets are available, and you live within 2 hours, go to the game, or your complaints don't resonate very well.

I've got tickets, but someone else is using them on Saturday--the point is that we were told BTN will help get games on TV, and it really isn't happening.

If tickets are available, and you live within 2 hours, go to the game, or your complaints don't resonate very well.

Sure, unless you're on a fixed income and can't afford the $60 it will cost to buy the tickets, the $20 it will cost for gas, the $30 it will cost to eat, and the four hours of driving time it will take to get to and from. Or, maybe you're an elderly person who can't drive. Or, maybe you're a single parent with two kids at home. Or, maybe you're a shut-in. Or, maybe you're a high school student and your parents won't let you go. Or, maybe you have to work until 7pm at night and can't make it to the game.

The Big Ten Network promised when it was created that EVERY home football and men's basketball game would be on TV somewhere (ESPN/ESPN2/ABC/CBS/BTN). They clearly broke that promise this year, as this will be the fifth time we're on an internet-stream only. I love the BTN, watch it a lot, but I don't like them breaking their promises this early in their existence.

If by that standard they broke it last year. They said it would be on an ESPN network, and it is.

And those are all valid reasons for the game, but giving away tickets and the complaining you can't see the game isnt. And if you need $20 for gas and $30 for food, god help ya.

If by that standard they broke it last year. They said it would be on an ESPN network, and it is.

And those are all valid reasons for the game, but giving away tickets and the complaining you can't see the game isnt. And if you need $20 for gas and $30 for food, god help ya.

No, they said all home games would be on TV. Saturday's is not on TV. It is only on the internet. That goes with the other five games (exh included) earlier this year that were internet-only.

And, if you're two hours away - as you're scenario suggests, then you're talking about 240 miles of driving. At 25 miles per gallon, you'd be using just short of 10 gallons of gas. At $1.70 per gallon, that's $17 (okay not quite $20, but close). $30 to eat is $15 per person. I don't think that's out of line. Even so, the point still stands. In today's economy, there are literally thousands of people who simply can't afford to spend over $100 for one night of Gopher hoops.

It must be nice for you to be a young guy with little to no responsibility (I remember those days myself). But, many, many Gopher fans have commitments that don't allow them to always get to the Barn. It is nice to have the luxury of watching on TV, particularly after we were promised all home games would be on TV.

Gopher basketball is a right?

And all the games weren't on TV last year either.

And you actually know nothing about my life, but thanks for playing.

From the Barn: FYI, I live 5 hours from the Barn. Fixed income, still work parttime to make ends meet. Would like to relax with a Gopher basketball game when they play, be it HeGophers or SheGophers, but have to try follow the best I can on the net. No BTN, but plenty of FSN, ESPN, ESPN2 to watch, but hardly ever the Gophers. FSN could help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not all of us were born with silver spoons in our mouths.

From The Barn

Have you ever been unemployed? With a family? And a mortgage? Car payment?

You, without question, need a whole lot of perspective.

You've already decided what sort of life I have led, so does it matter?

Gopher basketball is a right?

Reading comprehension, man. I specifically called it a "luxury." However, I might add, that there is a sense of entitlement when you are promised something, which we were.

And all the games weren't on TV last year either.

Every home game was on TV last year (except exhibitions). This is the FOURTH regular season home game that is on internet-only this season.

And you actually know nothing about my life, but thanks for playing.

Yet, you were the one suggesting it should be no problem for everyone to get to the game if they lived as far away as two hours, all the while knowing nothing about their live's, either.

Speaking of reading comprehension, my point was if you can go to the game, then go. You will notice that the person to whom my comment was directed had tickets, game them away, and then complained that they weren't able to go. Those with legitimate reasons for not attending have a right to complain, others not so much.

And just for kicks, guess my income, expenses, family, any health issues I may have, how far away I live, previous commitments I have, race, ethnicity, etc.

OK...I'll start guessing: Income...Too much; Expenses...Not enough; Family...You live with your parents who give you everything; Health Issues........You are insane (so am I); How far away....Across the street; Previous commitments.....None; Race.....you run the mini-marathon;....ethnicity........mixed blood; etc........you are a genius who knows everything, argues with everyone, opinionated, spoiled brat, never worked a day in your life at manual labor...good on a computer...a nice guy otherwise. How did I do? :)

I would have guessed somewhere around here -

you are a genius who knows everything, argues with everyone, opinionated, spoiled brat, never worked a day in your life at manual labor...good on a computer...a nice guy otherwise. How did I do?

Except for the manual labor part and disagreed with the nice guy part. Behind a computer you can be whoever you want or it can reveal whoever you are.

For me ? I think I tend to read you like you're a knowitall a$$hole wannabe manager/stats guy of the HS basketball team. But appreciate some of what you say because, well, it's hard to argue with. But I still think you're an a$$hole. Chuckling as I write. Sorry.

Dangerously close to reality. And if I'm an asshole because I like to win, and stand by what I believe, so be it.

Barn....you gave me 2.5. On what scale? the Richter Scale, the Enhanced Fujita Scale? GPA 4.0 scale? help me out here. And I LMAO at Blizzard. One thing, Blizzard, re: Barn being an a-hole....he is then a part of every one of us, God forbid!!!!LOL

And if I'm an asshole because I like to win, and stand by what I believe, so be it.

Which is why bottomline I appreciate what you have to say. No hard feelings.

From the Barn, you seem to enjoy pissing people off. If that your goal? What is it about your personality that makes you like hijacking threads and attempt to annoy everyone here?

I'm prepared for your canned statement about not caring what anyone else thinks, but it is getting to the point where you aren't contributing anything at all.

I'm glad you have your blog as an outlet, otherwise I can't even imagine how much worse the garbage you spew here would be.

Honestly, why does EVERYTHING you type have to be snarky or negative? I'm not expecting an answer to this other than the canned one I mentioned before, so surprise me.

For me ? I think I tend to read you like you're a knowitall a$$hole wannabe manager/stats guy of the HS basketball team. But appreciate some of what you say because, well, it's hard to argue with. But I still think you're an a$$hole.

Blizzard, you hit the nail on the head. FTB doesn't necessarily say too much to disagree with. It's the way he says it. Plus, he just ... can't ... leave ... ANYTHING ... alone. He MUST comment on every topic, just to piss people off. He's making this board unreadable in a Loon/Wren kind of way.

Top Bottom